Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Norm vs David Marks

Norm vs David Marks

I haven't seen too much in the way of bashing David Marks for having every power tool known to man like Norm does. What gives? Also, Am I wondering why is everyone so preoccupied with placement of tools in a shop? Isn't woodworking supposed to be a laid back,relaxing hobby?
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

Why bash either one?...........they are both great in their own realms. .....I think each has a different niche ..........
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gibbons
    Also, Am I wondering why is everyone so preoccupied with placement of tools in a shop? Isn't woodworking supposed to be a laid back,relaxing hobby?
    I personaly find that proper tools placement makes the work flow better and therefore less frustrating to do the work. Therefore amking the hobbie more enjoyable and laid back.

Norm probably gets most of the bashing only because there isn't a woodworker alive today who doesn't know who he is. After 18 years of being on most public TV stations, TOH, etc. we've all seen his shop grow with the help of corporate sponsorship. OTOH, David Marks has only been around for a few seasons and only on DIY which is only available on Dish Network and the extra $$$ package at that so very few people have seen his show. Thus Norm = easy target. And yes I would like to have some of the larger tools that he does have that many of us garage shop folks can only dream of. Many people cite Norm as their inspiration for getting more involved into woodworking and as result it seems there are many more tool choices available than when I first started woodworking.

You can sometimes compare this to the early personal computer days. How many different operating systems did we have? That little darling Microsoft came along and started getting established as the OS of choice, good or bad. How many people were complaining when their stock went public and created many $$$ for the shareholders over the years? How much bashing does Microsoft take now that they are the dominant giant but at the same time helped shape the computer industry of today?

Just my thoughts.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gibbons
    I haven't seen too much in the way of bashing David Marks for having every power tool known to man like Norm does.
    Think about it - could the plaid shirt be a clue?

Not bashing either of them, but I do much prefer to watch Norm for a couple of reasons. First of all, I really like the projects that Norm builds. That's just my personal taste. I could see most of the items that Norm has built fitting in somewhere in my home. I enjoy watching David Marks because of the techniques he uses. I personally don't care for the types of things he builds. I also like Norm because he not only builds nice projects using a variety of tools, but he also suggests alternate ways to get the same result if you don't happen to have your own corporate sponsorship (and I don't).
    Keel McDonald ><>

One major difference is that WoodWorks was filmed (they are not making any more episodes of the show) in David's own workshop with him using his own tools, where as NYW is filmed in the producers shop using tools dropped off by the show sponsors. Most of Davids tools were bought used the same way any of us can buy em for a bargain if we hunt around enough; but last time I looked on my front stoop Delta hadn't left me one of every top end tool in their lineup . My major gripe with ol Nahmie is that he's constantly firing off brads into things that would be just fine if left in clamps for a few hours...why poke holes in your project if you don't have to

Dave Marks is a furniture maker and Norm is more of a finish carpenter making furniture and it comes across in their methods of doing things. I personally watch both so I can get different viewpoints on things.

My only (minor) issue with Norm is that some of his tools are so ridiculously overkill for the task at hand, or that an average woodworker would have. Examples - the massive industrial size drum sander, pocket screw tool, and molding tool that uses expensive custom blades. His projects are nice, but nothing that requires anything other than the average tools he used in his early shows. I'm sure he gets the tools for free, but I still would like to see work him with everyday tools.

That aside, I think he is an excellent host for this type of show.

As mentioned earlier, Marks' projects aren't exactly my taste, but I thought he did a great job of demonstrating techniques. I was sorry to see him taken off the air.

Tim

Norm? Norm who?

Woodworks has been taken off the air? Dingdangit!!! Why? I can no longer get NYW since I've got satellite, now no mo woodworks.....I am so depressed.
    Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

I prefer David because he is more of an artist. His use and understanding of art deco design and veneers is right up my alley. He also builds smaller accent pieces like I aspire to do. As was said above, he has some nice tools, but all are just what he has in his shop, with no endorsements.

The only gripe I have with David is his use of the multi-router. That is the one thing he has in his shop that I will likely never purchase. I would like to see him do more mortising with a router and/or table.

According to my TiVo its on only Saturday Mornings.... You should be seeing Norm on your PBS affiliate.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Denby
    Woodworks has been taken off the air? Dingdangit!!! Why? I can no longer get NYW since I've got satellite, now no mo woodworks.....I am so depressed.
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Denby
    I could only get David on HGTV up to about a year or so ago. After that I couldn't get it even on premium cable. The last I knew it was only on the highest priced satellite package.

Since I live approximately a hundred miles from Dallas, it seems I'm too far to have the PBS station considered as a local affiliate. So, since they dont broadcast NYW on the regular national PBS on the satellite, I'm out of luck.I think I'm gonna go kick my dog.........
    Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

I gave up watching tv about a year ago - addictive time sink (SMC is my new one) - and one comforting notion at the time was that while Norm's shop is impressive and inspirational and his projects were mostly attractive, he always built them the same way. And that had gotten boring.

Plus, I hated that he was being positioned as a Master Woodworker by the marketing gurus; and as we all know he's really a carpenter (albeit a good one), and I've never heard of anyone else referred to as a Master Woodworker.

Never seen David's show.
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 04-06-2006 at 3:10 PM.
    Only the Blue Roads