Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Norm vs David Marks

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Shoemaker
    I gotta tell you, I'm a bit embarrassed.

I'd hate for either of these talented men see this thread. I may only speak only for myself when I say would be honored to shake either of their hands and congratulated them on the their many accomplishments.

I've spent years "learning" from Norm and only months from David but I've gained far more than I can ever pay either of them back. Inspiration is a wonderful thing.

Let's let it go ........................
    What Ken said

Norm inspired me and many others to try their hand at wood working. And I thank him for that. David Marks has shown me how woodworking can be an art, and that there are many methods to accomplish any task. Woodworking is a personal hobby, what one woodworker likes may not be liked by another, method OR finished piece. I choose to see both of these gentlemen as inspiration and teachers.
    Concerning the term "master" in front of any skill or occupation. I read somewhere that was a designation for one that is able to teach his or her craft. Using the definition, Norm has taught many of us, hence I think he has earned the title.

Post Script: Thinking about it, as much as I enjoy watching David Marks, I am not sure that he would have inspired me to persue this hobby if his's was the first woodworking show that I saw 18 years ago. His show is not meant to inspire beginners IMHO<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John A. Williams
    Personally, my favorite has to be Bob Vila. Now there is a true master.
    YIKES!!! YIKES!!!!
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Blog Entries
    Personally, my favorite has to be Bob Vila. Now there is a true master.
    Wow! YIKES!!!

Blog Entries
    No, I changed my mind, my favorite is Bruce Johnson.
    DOUBLE YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Hitt
    That Policy sure must have changed in the last few years, because the Sponsors are certainly listed before and after the show here on PBS for both the NYW, and Router Workshop, and MUCH MUCH advertising by Home Depot on Hometime.
    They call that sponsoring/support for this program (PBS speak for advertising). But in the show itself you should see all the labels covered up, occasionally something gets missed but 90%+ you will not see the manufacturers name. Delta has been a long time sponsor of NYW and you can see all the Delta gray in the shop... Of course who knows what will happen down the road now that B&D owns delta... probably more yellow tools (Dewalt )
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

No, I changed my mind, my favorite is Bruce Johnson.
    Now there is a winner I sit with my mouth open as he hacks up a piece of Stickley furniture, by adding bread board ends and sit in wonder as he takes uses a spade bit to install figure 8 fasteners I wonder how I can get that job
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

The NYW and Ask this old house are both filmed at the shop built for the shows producer. That shop is not Norm's nor are the tools. As far as his title of Master Woodworker goes I have not seen that. On TOH Norm is listed as a "Master Carpenter" to that I would agree. He builds a lot of nice pieces and uses techniques most woodworkers know. David builds pieces that require a more advanced woodworker to me. I think you would need a seperate warehouse just for all the MDF templates he uses. I have learned from both men and that is all that matters to me. I wish they would put on a channel just about woodworking from beginner to advanced.
    "The good guys wear plaid"

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Denby
    Woodworks has been taken off the air? Dingdangit!!! Why? I can no longer get NYW since I've got satellite, now no mo woodworks.....I am so depressed.
    If You don't get local PBS channels (I have DirecTV) I think You can get the National PBS feed sans beggathons for $1/month. Might be worth checking into. It'd be nice if somebody would pick up Woodworks. Norm & David are Barbeque and Filet Mignon; I like 'em both .

Curt

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ballent
    Now there is a winner I sit with my mouth open as he hacks up a piece of Stickley furniture, by adding bread board ends and sit in wonder as he takes uses a spade bit to install figure 8 fasteners I wonder how I can get that job
    You can be like Bruce. He was the PR man for Minwax prior to his new gig with DIY...

10. Noem. My money is on Norm.
    Norm can beat the stuffing outta david marks. Norm is form Boston and Bostonians are far, far, far tougher than any left costians from the PRCA.

Norm would trash Marks beating him within a ninch of his life and then run him through the planer.

There I said it.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Roger Bailey
    I wish they would put on a channel just about woodworking from beginner to advanced.

Roger, that is a great idea, I wish someone would take ahold of it, and create a network just for woodworking. There seems to be one for just about everything else. Even Golf. How many times, and for how long, can you watch multi- millionaires hit a little white ball with a skinny metal stick with a weight on the end of it. I like golf for the scenery, wishing I was there. But at the end of the day, you still hit a little white ball with a stick. Accomplishment????? HMMMMM. Oh NO, I probably started something else. Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Anderson
    Roger, that is a great idea, I wish someone would take ahold of it, and create a network just for woodworking. There seems to be one for just about everything else. Even Golf. How many times, and for how long, can you watch multi- millionaires hit a little white ball with a skinny metal stick with a weight on the end of it. I like golf for the scenery, wishing I was there. But at the end of the day, you still hit a little white ball with a stick. Accomplishment????? HMMMMM. Oh NO, I probably started something else. Bill
    I agree about an all woodoworking network. something like the Food Network. Just think about "Iron Turner". The secret ingredient can be diferant species of wood.

13. Yeah Wes, I guess... I just had to be there. Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Bischel
    Well, I've been saving this one for a good Norm thread, so this is as good as any. I will state that I like what Norm does, as with most DIY shows his has a place in the WW community. So no disrespect intended, I just thought this was a funny quote.

Set-up - on the show "House" (If you haven't seen the show, it won't quite have the same impact.) Dr. House is at home with a friend (only friend) and they are scanning through his Tivo list (I think it was Tivo). The friend asks “Why do you have a subscription to The New Yankee Workshop?” To which House responds “A moron working with power tools – how much more suspense can you get!” Needless to say, that one had me going for quite some time!

Sorry Norm, no disrespect meant, but it was funny - I guess you had to be there with a warped sense of humor.

Wes

14. I am with you and Ken, Although I never saw David, or even heard of him until this forum. They both garner respect from many on this forum. I for one, owe Norm my love of woodworking, and the many skills that I have gained from watching him on PBS and HGTV (when they were airing it). And I look forward to checking out David Marks sometime. So many thanks to both for encouraging a love of the art, regardless what form the art takes. I appreciate you both. Regards, Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Chaffee
    I am very much with Ken Shoemaker in being embarrassed should either of these great men, who share and impart their knowledge and experience with us and to us, see this thread.

There is so much to learn.
    There are so many ways to create beautifully in wood.
    There are just enough teachers, for those willing to listen.

Frank

15. Funny Cliff LOL. Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher
    Noem. My money is on Norm.
    Norm can beat the stuffing outta david marks. Norm is form Boston and Bostonians are far, far, far tougher than any left costians from the PRCA.

Norm would trash Marks beating him within a ninch of his life and then run him through the planer.

There I said it.