Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Norm vs David Marks

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    I didn't know that football player then coach Mike Ditka did woodworking.......
    Now I'd pay to watch that, especially when a joint doesn't fit

The only thing I don't like about David Marks' show is that every time they come back from commercial, they have to do the recap as to what was done in the last segment. With commercials, the show is already down to 22 minutes worth of actual airtime, so taking away any of that is a loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Stanford
    I'd rather have Norm as a next door neighbor.
    You apparently missed the 'Woodworks' episode where Marks gave a tour of his "wood barn": I'd much rather have access to David's scrap pile than access to Norm's tools.

(Not to mention that I'd much rather live in central California than in Massachusetts. )
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur Pan
    The only thing I don't like about David Marks' show is that every time they come back from commercial, they have to do the recap as to what was done in the last segment. With commercials, the show is already down to 22 minutes worth of actual airtime, so taking away any of that is a loss.
    I think thats a DIY thing because they do it on their woodturning show as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Stanford
    I'd rather have Norm as a next door neighbor.
    I'd love to have either...or both...as neighbors. I've met and spoken to David and he's a very warm and congenial guy. His work is very stimulating. While I haven't met Norm, he's one of the reasons for my woodworking passion and also brings the construction/home improvement angle. The two of them would be a killer combination for me! LOL!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by michael tessler

Now I really enjoy watching Amy Devers..........especially when she wears the T-shirt with the front end of a car on it!
    Yeah, what he said!
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher
    Norm? Norm who?
    Cliffy,, Norm,,your buddy from the bar

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur Pan
    Yeah, I do like his show, but agree it is very abbreviated.

I must confess to never having seen Nawm in anything but TOH.

I get much more from WW books than TV shows. I just bought Jim Toplin's "The Toolbox Book" and, can only saw, wow. Also Richard Raffan's Woodturning(title?).

That "recap" technique is endemic to many shows on the Scripts stations...I guess they require a production "style sheet" approach. I don't prefer it, but I guess they do it with the assumption that enough folks join a program mid-stream while "surfing" that the recap builds interest to keep them tuned in. Or something equally creative...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I watched Norm once slop glue all over his project and wondered how he was going to deal with that. At the end of the show I saw the paint can come out. .....OOOOH .. OK I get it.

I like the way David says smoooooooth I don't know how he does that. I've tried but it just doesn't sound the same

Mark

Both great guys

I haven't met Norm, but enjoy his show. I tend to prefer mission and contemporary styles of furniture over the shaker and colonial styles Norm favors. Norm has some nice techniques and is a pleasure to watch.

I took a class through WC with David. The 8 hour class was suposed to end at 5, David was still there with us at 7:30pm. He is a class act and very down to earth. I wish he was still doing shows. He hinted the shows were costing him money and he had used lots of his own wood to build some of the projects on the show. He seemed very comfortable in his role as a teacher was very down to earth sharing his successes and failures and the evolution of his methods. The class was money well spent in my opinion.

A reputation for craftsmanship is a responsibility
    to never take lightly.

I like both of them and being a newbie I am thankful that there are programs on TV that are worth watching.. I probably have about 40 episodes of Woodworks recorded on my tivo. I just started recording NYW two months ago. My favorite episode of Woodworks was the episode where David Marks did a tour of his shop and showed his tools and also the jigs that he uses. The other episode that I like is when he paid a visit to James Krenov and Art Espenet Carpenter and had a tour of their shop, it was simply amazing. I have to pick up a DVD recorder so I can move some of the episodes on tivo to a dvd disc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Shoemaker
    I gotta tell you, I'm a bit embarrassed.

I'd hate for either of these talented men see this thread. I may only speak only for myself when I say would be honored to shake either of their hands and congratulated them on the their many accomplishments.

I've spent years "learning" from Norm and only months from David but I've gained far more than I can ever pay either of them back. Inspiration is a wonderful thing.

Let's let it go ........................
    Amen to that, Ken!

Actually master carpenter is a valid title for someone working in the entertainment field. My son was a master carpenter for the theater group here. So technically Norm is a master carpenter.

If you have watched Norm from the beginning he too used non-sponsored tools; a whole bunch of them. Over time his shop is mainly gray but he still has some that are not.

I also think Norm has gone from a carpenter to a wood worker over the years. I rewatch a lot of his early shows and the wood working was more in the carpenter style then fine wood working. That has changed over the years.

I have only seen DM a couple of times and I like Norm's presentation skills better; of course he has had a few more years doing it. I also like the camera work on Norm's show better. Again years of experience does help.
    Wife's request is another excuse for a new tool!!!

Maybe I missed it, but I haven't read anything that would offend either of them...??

Both Woodworkers, different fields of wood, and both seem to do quite well in their respective field.
    I haven't met Norm, but did Marks, and he'd probably make a great neighbor, has a good sense of humor, personable, and easy going manner that I found enjoyable.

I only wished I'd recorded Davids programs, be nice if they came out in DVD...O-well...

I enjoyed Wookworks more than Norm's show, but being we're starting several remodeling projects, I seem to be watching Norm a lot more now.

Glad they're both on.
    Al