Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to seal shop floor cracks?

How to seal shop floor cracks?

I have a concrete floor in my workshop with some mats scattered around. I have several cracks, medium and small, in the floor.

It is humid here close to Lake Superior so I have a dehumidifier running spring, summer and fall. When I place plastic over the cracks a lot of moisture builds up under the plastic so I'd like to seal these cracks and prevent the humidity from entering my shop.

How would you suggeest doing it, hopefully without chipping a v-grove into all the cracks so the sealer will hold. Anyone used a product successfully? It does get cold here in the winter, but rarely over 80 in the summer.

Thanks, Rick

rick, instead of squeezing a tube of some sort of goop into the cracks that`ll never really do the job, get caulking backer rod and beat it into the cracks with a cold chisel. concrete is itself porous so it will always permit moisture to pass through unless you take steps to seal the entire floor..02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

When I finished the floor of my shop with EpoxyShield, I used grey silicone sealant in the expansion joints. It remains flexible and doesn't defeat the purpose of the joint. I did it just to keep dirt and sawdust from accumulating there, but I suspect it would work for your needs as well.

Hint: Don't worry about being real neat when you fill the cracks. If you try and wipe up every stray bit of silicone, you will have it all over yourself. It's a lot easier to let it cure and then rub the excess off from around the crack with a rubber soled shoe.

Tod,

Will the caulking backer rod prevent air movement? I know concrete is porous, but when I put down plastic the moisture only gathers along the cracks.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Schubert
    Tod,

Will the caulking backer rod prevent air movement? I know concrete is porous, but when I put down plastic the moisture only gathers along the cracks.

Rick
    rick, if you pack it in tightly it will. or you could use plumbers oakum, the packing tamped into cast iron pipe joints prior to leading them. the reason i`m against goop in concrete joints is that concrete will most likely continue to move eventually breaking the seal. then you`ve got one mell of a hess with sealant stuck to the sides of an open joint. by packing some type of loose material into the joint you give yourself the flexability to reseal the joint down the road when the concrete moves again...02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Everyone is correct about the flexible sealer material. The cracks will likely always re-appear if they are re-cut and filled with concrete.

Short of digging up and relaying the entire floor with a nice gravel sub and drainage (perfect world where are you?) I submit that the cracks are your permanent friends. I'd use a pourable silicone or flexible epoxy. open the crack a little (less than 1/4" preferably 1/8") to expose fresh concrete and get as much in as possible.

Have you taped a piece of plastic on the floor where this ins't a crack?

If not try that before you get really carried away. If you do and the plastic stays dry for a couple days then work on packing the joint. If you get moisture where no crack is present you may as well just seal the crack to keep crud out.

I'm assuming the crack has not shifted in height at all otherwise you got a real job on your hands.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Try this stuff:
    http://www.radonseal.com/
    "And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." - Red Green

THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES

Ted, From what I could see on the radonseal.com site they were always referring to walls, not the floor. Have you tried their products?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    rick, if you pack it in tightly it will. or you could use plumbers oakum, the packing tamped into cast iron pipe joints prior to leading them. the reason i`m against goop in concrete joints is that concrete will most likely continue to move eventually breaking the seal. then you`ve got one mell of a hess with sealant stuck to the sides of an open joint. by packing some type of loose material into the joint you give yourself the flexability to reseal the joint down the road when the concrete moves again...02 tod
    If the concrete is moving on either side of the crack relative to one another, than you have serious problems. There should be rebar, reinforcing mesh, or fiberglass preventing this type of movement.

Cracks will occur as a result of curing initially, and temperature cycling. I have a neighbor who is a concrete contractor; he poured a 6" thick slab with reinforcement at his own shop and still had cracking; there's no way to prevent them.

It should be OK to put in some backing rod, and chaulk over that.

Rick,

Some of the older fish boats that haul out at the yard I used to work at had some good sized seams. We'd caulk them with oakum (stick fibery stuff) and them fill the seam with Water-Plug cement. Its a very fast curing cement so don't mix too much. Maybe 6 to 8 oz. at a time. I've used it in my shop floor cracks with very good sucess. Always worked for the fish boats and I'm sure those old wooden hulls move a bit more than the average shop floor.

Not as smooth as a sealant but does the job.

A tip for those future cement slab pourers.....If you lay a plastic sheeting (rather thick, not the Saran Wrap type) on smooth dirt prior to pouring cement you'll have much less a chance of cracks developing during curing. A lot of cracks in cement are caused by the slab "tripping" due to friction on the dirt while curing. The plastic makes a nice slippery surface for the slab to move on during shrinkage. (my grandfather was a Mason)

Cheers,

Kent

a bed of sand does well too, as well as expansion and control joints..02 tod

Radon Seal??

The radon seal sounds interesting. I also live in Minnesota and the road salt is eating up my garage floor. I wonder if this stuff would help?

Rick, how wide are these small and medium cracks? If they are wide enough to fit backer rod into, then I'd recommend foam backer rod followed by a tooled silicone sealant joint. A proper sealant joint should be concave on the bottom -- following the shape of the backer rod -- and tooled to be concave on the top as well. This ensures adhesion to the sides of the joint, while allowing the center the necessary flexibility to expand and contract with the slab. If you clean the joints very well, and use a good quality sealant designed for sealing concrete slabs (possibly not something they'll have on the shelf at the BORG), you should be able to expect 20 to 25 years of service. I'd recommend against a "v" groove in any case. You'll be better off with vertical sides on the joint, backer rod, and the dual concave tooled sealant.

If the cracks are too thin to fit the backer rod, they can still be sealed with a silicone slab sealant, although without the backer rod and dual concave shape, the sealant won't have as much "give" as it would in a wider crack.

There are also industrial epoxies that could be pressure injected to fill the cracks, but if your slab is still moving, the cracks will simply re-appear in another location. (Plus, the cost is likely not something you'd want to pay.)

I offer these suggestions based on designing, spec'ing, and inspecting the sealant on literally miles of concrete joints in airport apron pavement.

Barry mentioned a concrete contractor neighbor whose 6" reinforced slab still cracked. My dad (a licensed P.E. civil engineer, with 50+ years of concrete mix design experience) says there are three "laws" in the world of concrete: 1. It's gray. 2. It gets hard. 3. It cracks.

HTH -

- Vaughn
    Last edited by Vaughn McMillan; 04-07-2006 at 5:07 PM.

Vaughn, Some of the cracks are 1/8 wide, others range up to 1/2. Most are pretty rough and jagged. Previous owner had widened some parts and put some type of concrete filler in, but that has mostly been forced out in chunks.

Garage is 2 1/2 car size and some of the cracks are 15-20' long.

So far the smallest size caulk backing rod I've found is 3/8" round. Does it come smaller?

Thanks for all the help so far, Rick