Thread: Cyclone update

Cyclone update

I just wanted to drop a note regarding the cyclone thread I've been posting.

I had developed a painful right elbow while working on the cyclone and I went to the doctors yesterday and was diagnosed with Lateral Epicondylitis (basically tennis elbow) and was told not to use my arm for 3 to 4 weeks.

I will resume work on the cyclone in perhaps a week (I've been sneaking into the shop when the little lady isnt looking) being hardheaded and anxious to finish.

So, till then when I can resume posting my progress I will be lurking and wading in the Creek.

Thanks for all your support.
    Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    I repeat...... RICE !!!!!!
    Rest
    ICE
    Compression
    Elevation

Speedy recovery Julio I know your pain.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Good Luck With the recovery

I had tennis elbow from.. well .. playing tennis, and I can still feel it sometimes (that was 2 years ago). I would say to rest it as long as the doctor says. I tried every trick in the book. If you use it, it will continue to hurt.

Also, just so you know - I think the 2x4 falling from the arbor I was building had the most to do with the tennis elbow. It hit directly on that bone that the tendon attaches to. From about 2 days later on... PAIN while playing tennis. Anyone who hasn't had it - thank your lucky stars.

If you do like I did - and are hard headed and wont stop. ICE IT IMMEDIATELY when you finish working. It helps. Also - keeping pressure on it while you are working helps to hold the pain down. Just go ice it right when you take the pressure off.

Boy - First I tell you not to go out and work - then I follow that up with instructions to do just that

Going on 6 months

It's been six months since my bout with TE started. I'm just now getting to the point where when I grip something very firmly the pain is not a problem. Mine was caused by drilling about 450 holes with the Kreg pocket hole system. Setting down and picking up the drill 450 times will do it. Get one of those elbow braces and keep it on whenever you are using your arm and be very careful not to stress it again. I've been told it can take up to at least a year before you will be completely heeled

5. "Cyclone steel rolling, yep doc that is what I was doing, I SWEAR!!!!"

Bet the doc wrote some special notes on your chart

Heal fast Julio, hope to see the sucker.....sucking soon!!

Cheers!

I didnt mean to imply that I wasnt doing anything about it, in fact I am going to PT in about 45 min, and as youve said, Tyler, I am using alternate ice compressions and heat pad as suggested by my Doc. I also bought a tennis elbow brace to keep somne compression on the muscles, and I sleep with it elevated. So, your ICE advice is well heeded, Tyler, thanks

I just hate to see all the materials in the shop with nothing being done to them.
    Last edited by Julio Navarro; 04-07-2006 at 3:39 PM.

Actually, Stu, (laughing) thats exactly what I told him(laughs some more) he pretty much told me "Yeah, what ever...you must now stop"

It could have been worse. It could have been woodworker's elbow.
    -Jeff

Julio, I feel your pain. I had guitarist's elbow for a long time (back in my sordid youth). I was playing 8 to 10 hours daily, plus lugging a log of heavy equipment pretty regularly. Just give your elbow a break, and the problem should go away. (If you sneak into the shop too much, it might prolong the recovery time.)

Get well quickly, 'cause I want to see your cyclone get completed.

- Vaughn

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Makiel
    It could have been worse. It could have been woodworker's elbow.
    -Jeff
    Actually, I think I have woodworker's elbow. I got mine from my new ROS that I used non stop for about 2 days. I was working on a tall bookcase holding the heavier than what I was used to 6" ridgid sander. I am now wearing one of those tennis elbow braces. It relieves the pain, but I still can't lift anything very heavy.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.