Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chain saw recommendation - under $300

I'd say buy the biggest Stihl or Husky you can get within the budget.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

I second the recommendations about getting good file and guide for same and using it frequently.

I seem to be the only one here who has good things to say about a Poulan. Mine really has had a lot of use and has stood up well. It would appear that I am very lucky.

3. Frank, I think the biggest thing against the Poulan that I've heard (Over at the Chainsaw forum at the Arborist site) is the dealer network cannot seem to get their stuff together in the US.

Do you have a good shop that supports your Poulan?

I've heard great things about the saws from the guys over in the EU, and now one Canuck!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
    Frank, I think the biggest thing against the Poulan that I've heard (Over at the Chainsaw forum at the Arborist site) is the dealer network cannot seem to get their stuff together in the US.

Do you have a good shop that supports your Poulan?

I've heard great things about the saws from the guys over in the EU, and now one Canuck!

Cheers!
    Yes, the Candiaan Tire store in Hearst Ontario where I boiught the saw does support it. And, they have done one maintenance service on the saw. I usually do this sort of thing myself on my various motors up at Pellow's Camp but every two or three years, I take the item (be it an outboard motor, a generator, a gas pump, a chain saw, etc.) back to the local dealer to have a proffesional service.

By the way thanks for the advice on the Husquavarna carb. I will check it out on my next visit to the island.

Find a Local Dealer and see what they have available used. I picked up a Stihl 026 with a new 18" bar and a new .325 Pro chain from my local dealer for $125 (Stealth Gloat!). I have used it for 2 years without any issues and will not need to upgrade any time soon. I bought 2 more chains and a few files and I am good to go.

I am partial to Stihl although my father has a Husky 359 that really does run strong. It runs a 20" bar with 3/8" chain on it and it does cut well but I feel it does not rev as well as my Stihl. It could be my imagination who knows.

Any of the mentioned brands Stihl, Husky (Jonsered), Echo, Shindiawa (488 is a very good choice), Solo 651, John Deere CS-56 (They are made by a very promenant European saw maker) and even Makita (Made by Dolmar) are excellent saws. The Holmlites and Poulans are not what they used to be in my opinion. I still remember using my fathers Homelite (Back when they were Blue and all Metal casing) saw was HEAVY but it did cut well. Not in the same league as what is sold today.

Local Service is the selling point for me. I know I take my saw in where I bought it and have it serviced without any issues or delays.
    Last edited by Greg Narozniak; 04-10-2006 at 10:52 AM.

The John Deere saws are made by Efco/Emak in Italy. They are very good saws at a good price. I have the JD CS62 and a Husquvarna 55. The JD/Efco is easily made as well as the Husquvarna.

Quote Originally Posted by David Beverly
    The John Deere saws are made by Efco/Emak in Italy. They are very good saws at a good price. I have the JD CS62 and a Husquvarna 55. The JD/Efco is easily made as well as the Husquvarna.
    That's it Dave, Efco is the company I could not remember the name and did not have the time to look it up.

very nice saw for the $$$

Jamie Coffman Guest

Big 'uns

Had a Poulan Pro & Homelite from H.D. both take a sabatical in rapid succession after starting to clear my back 40 a few years back.Took both to a local repair center where I was told not to shed a tear for the H-lite just set it adrift on an iceberg, the Poulan was questionable in terms of cost to repair vs. value. At this point I believe I was possesed by aliens because I was not able to recollect later to my wife how I came into possession of the $700 Stihl 460 Magnum chainsaw that I returned home with. Wifee wanted the saw and I to go the route of Jack's magic beans, by throwing both of us out a window, but we managed to escape her malicious grasp. That was about three years and several hundred cords ago and I will atest to several things; you can never have too big of a shed/garage/shop, you can never have too many tools, and having a chainsaw that's twice as big as what would have been adequate will make you smile like an idiot everytime you use it. That said, collect cans and bottles off of the side of the road or get a paper route if must but don't go for adequate. You really can't appreciate the difference between a good commercial saw and a home center wannabe until you get to spend some time together making music. Where I used to procrastinate about cutting up or felling trees on our property because the saws were a pain I now am vigilant to the opportunity to kill a tree. Just the act of turning a chore into something enjoyable has a value beyond mere dollars, even if it's a seemingly obscene amount of said dollars. Go for the Stihl and make it a big 'un, your wife won't mind...trust me.

Jamie, You must be a professional writer. Wish that I could express myself like that! Allen

Jamies the man!!!

JAMIE!! VERY WELL SAID!!! Exactly my feelings. This is one place to spend the extra dollars!! You'll be repaid w enjoyment everey time you use it. Another STIHL benefit: I used to keep it stored @ my cabin in the woods and forgot to winterize couple times. Each spring, ONE pull and I was happily cutting....Very well written, Jamie!!!
    Jerry

Don,

What do you use the saw for? That would help determine the right one.

I have two Stihl's, a Farmboss and the smallest one they make (the "lightweight wife's saw"). For some jobs one is the best, for some the pther one is. For dropping Doug Fir in the woods day after day, neither one would do as well as the big guns the pros use.

I should mention that I don't care a whole lot about weight. There are a couple reasons for that. One is that, in general, heavier means faster (a good saw will cut quickly under its own weight--you should neither have to push or hold it back). Two, I am still relatively young and fit at 31. I look at cutting wood as just another workout, just like my job as a painting contractor. I think I'm healthier for it.

The Poulan I had was junk from the start. The first one lasted all of 5 minutes before it locked up. I took it back to the blue Borg in exchange, and got a saw that I worked on as much as I worked with, no joke. It was a 20". Now, with the 20" Husqy 372xp I have, I easily can cut the same amount of wood in 2 hours that I would cut in 6 with the Poulan running well the whole time. There's just no comparison. Do I get tired quicker with the Husqy? You bet, but I don't ever have to use it near as long.

With every chainsaw thread, I've noticed that there are NEVER any strong opinions offered...
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I have a Stihl Farm Boss 29. Can't say enough good thins(or things) about and it's in your price range.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post... the Stihl .029 Farm Boss with an 18" bar is what I bought a few years ago and yes, it's "close" to your price range.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jamie Coffman Guest
    Years ago George Carlin did a bit about stuff... that we spend all of our time trying to get more stuff and then having to keep getting a bigger box to keep our stuff in so that noboby will steal our stuff while we're out getting more suff. This is my life. I spend most of my time either trying to earn to buy more stuff or building a bigger place to keep it. Consequently "winterization" on the Coffman plantation consists of cramming, stuffing or shoving whatever you're trying to store into whatever bowed door shed or garage will still allow you to close it. There it will sit until called upon again, possibly in a week - maybe not for a year, with every expectation that it will perform its designed purpose with the certainty of a brand new tool. Partially due to superior Japanese and German engineering and partly due to God's penchant for overseeing the wellfare of morons and idiots, I seem to have aquired a collection of mechinized yard weaponry that tolerates this sort of abuse with aplumb. For whatever reason, knowing full well that the Honda engineers intended me to check/change the oil, wipe off the extraneous debris and offer the fuel system a swig of Stabil, I still have every expectation that the mower that I put away last fall with a full bag of clippings still hanging from its rear will start on the first pull. Consciously anticipating success, while subconsciously expecting failure, I have been amazed by the fortitude of these small internal combustion wonders when they suddenly bark out of hibernation with narry a chance to cuss. The Kohler engined Troy Built tiller has been pulling this off for almost ten years now. The Honda mower almost six. The Stihl chainsaws three and four years. The exception to the rule has been the zero radius turning Hustler commercial mower that I baby. Always has its fuel been fresh, battery dutifully trickled, joints lubed and blades sharpened. This regemin is supplimented by season opening and mid season trips to the dealer for a check up. All to no avail. Not once has its damnable Briggs & Stratton even considered cooperating. If it's not the starter it's the carb. If not the carb then a demonic belt. Should have got a Honda In closing let me just add that another bounty to be realized in overbuying quality is the beauty of being able to get away with such stupidity. If it will put up with me and mine it will likely last forever in the hands of a responsible adult.