Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finally Finished!

Talking Finally Finished!

This, without a doubt, has been the longest job I have ever worked on. Now, in all fairness, half of the 6 months that these kitchen cabinets have been in my shop had me on the disabled list......the first injury was when I ran my fingers through the router when I stopped work on the cabinets to build the doors (for the same person - my niece) pictured below.

I am eternally grateful to Tod for explaining how to make a solid core door. Short form - I used 2 pieces of 3/4" birch ply laminated together then wrapped with 1 inch Douglas Fir lumber for the rails and stiles. The floating panel is a glue up of 2x6 fir. The windows are shop made and one of the muntins in them is the one that I was working on when my hand got caught in the bit. It survived unscathed.

After the fingers were healed up good enough to start back up on the cabinets I was able to get a little over a month in, then fell ....long story, but ended up being off again! So......I estimate the cabinets would have only taken me 6 to 8 weeks at full speed. (...course I don't have a guided rail system or a slider.......just a alunimin guide which I use to make rough cuts and then clean up on the General - works for me ) I am kinda thankful that I was in the middle of this job when my accident happened - it forced me to get back in the saddle......I am not sure just how eager I would have been otherwise to continue WWing.

So - yesterday I completed by installing the crown - took a few quick pics - it was beginning to rain and my CMS was in the back of the truck. As you will see in the pics, the place is still under construction.....in fact the base cabinets which I installed a few weeks ago so they could put the tile and back-splash (which has yet to be stained) on, has drywall dust all over it......so please take that in consideration when looking at the pics. I was thinking about waiting to post until I could "stage" it better - after they are moved in but I have a list of jobs ahead of me so I might not find the time.

Details.....carcass is 3/4 inch Birch plywood.....even the backs of the uppers......dealing with log construction adds to the mix a bit. Everything else is Douglas Fir lumber I got off a fellow here in town that has a sawmill.......all VG. This was my first time working with it and I am sold - I will definitely use it again. I used Medium Walnut Danish Oil and sprayed 6 coats on Satin Varathane. First time using Eruo hinges....again - Sold!! Drawers are solid pine- dovetailed......fulll extension slides. Knobs and pulls are cast iron - I really like the feel of the substance of them. The doors are flat panelled (glued up 1x4 without the use of the jointer) with M&T 2" x 1 3/8"frames. (the sash bit used for the glass doors calls for the frame to be 1 3/8" so the rest had to follow suit) The square pegs are 3/8" pointed oak that I ebonized ---thanks Mike Stafford for telling me the technique.

Behind the wine rack was wasted space so I made this pull out shelf for hard liquor. Oh yeah - to the right of the rack is a hanging thing for wine glasses.

Shelly, that's some beautiful work. It sure compliments the 'cabin' feel. Lars

Here are a few more that I took in the shop before installation.
    Below is a pull out spice cabinet.

and a pic of the log home these are in........

I want to thank Tod for all his help, advice and encouragement throughout the building of both the doors and the cabinets......man - you are the greatest!!!

Great work Shelley!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Absolutely beautiful! They really fit in the style of the cabin.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Fantastic work!

I believe you just made some of the "guys" jealous .
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

That is some very, very nice looking work, Shelley! You should be very proud of this job!

That's a great house, too!!!

- Keith

Beautiful work Shelley--lots of nice touches there. Glad to see you've recovered. Quick question--am I seeing it right--do some of those cabinets not have a back panel (pic #7--with the top drawer out)?
    -Rob

Nope Rob...not sure what you are seeing but they in fact all do have back panels......the base are just 1/4 as I used a web frame construction so didn't need the strength - the uppers have 3/4" because of the issue about mounting on the logs - they are still going to settle so that had to be taken into consideration.

Thanks for the nice comments guys.

Shelley

Beautiful work - quite simply beautiful.

Absolutely beautiful work Shelly. I love black accents on the doors and drawers. When are the tours? Great job. And glad to hear all the digits are back working in the shop.

nice work shelley! i didn`t do anything but give you a kick in the pants! you did all the work and deserve all the praise....02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Very Nice!

Very nice Work Shelley. I am inspired.

-Linc
    Last edited by Lincoln Myers; 04-10-2006 at 1:57 PM.

Great looking cabinets. They fit perfectly into that house.

Mike

15. VERY nice Shelley, that is one heck of a job you have done, I imagine you are busting with pride!