Thread: Just Sharing a useful tool

Just Sharing a useful tool

Hi guys,
    I know that there are a lot of cad programs out there and they can get pretty pricey. I found CAD Standard http://www.cadstd.com/ about a year ago and it has satisfied my needs well. Considering the lite version is free and the full version is $25 it works for me. It isn't that fancy and it is just a 2D drafting program, but I found that it does what I was using AutoCad for.
    Just trying to give back to the Creek,
    Chuck

And no I have no connection or benifit with the company.

Thanks, Chuck:

I bought a copy of an early version of TurboCad; but could never devote the time necessary figure out how to use it. People told me it was pretty instinctive; but I didn't find that to be the case. While not an expert, I do just fine with AutoCad.....at least the 2D part. Maybe this program will be easier for me to figure out??

It should be a fairly easy transition Randy. I never could get my head to draw like TurboCad wanted me to. I never tried Microstation but I first learned AutoCad and that probably set the stage. CadStd has limitations to be sure but bang for the buck wise it works for me.
    Chuck

Looks really easy to use. Can it lay bolt circles? I notice that one of the sample drawings was of a 3-D part. Is that correct or was it a 2-D representation of a 3-D image?

Can you draw something then scale up or down?
    Will it prompt you for exact dimensions when drawing?
    Can you work with points?
    Can you input lines circles points etc using numerical input instead of a mouse?
    How many decimil places does it think in and display?

For $25.00 it's probably the leeast costly option out there.

I have run CadKey for years and years but the last version I purchased wants to run on DOS. It'll work on DOS in a Win95 environment but not in 2000, 98 or XP as the DOS in those OS is pretty well gelded.

I've run Pro-E, Solid Edge, and Solid Works. I find them a tad cumbersome for things as simple as cabinetry.

I have a version of Auto Cad 13, which I despise. I've always hated A-cad. If you didn't learn on it you will have a beast of a time picking it up as the commands are often the polar opposite of most other systems and it's a monolithic program with no functionalized modules.

I suppose if I just bit the bullet and forced myself to learn A-cad I'd be ok with it. But it's so damn clumsy.

I've been using DeltaCAD since the early 90's and it's an easy to learn 2d cad package for $40. They have a 45 day trial demo you can download at http://www.deltacad.com/index.html

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Yea, I also use DeltaCAD and have been using it for about 3 years now. I like it, but sure wish I had the money for Sketchup.!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.