Thread: New DVD by David Marks

New DVD by David Marks

I just got the New DVD by David Marks and it's great. Its called Jigs & Fixtures for Curvilinear Woodworking. I found it to be very informative and lots of bentwood lamination tips. I picked it up on his website www.djmarks.com. Lets support his efforts and buy his video cause there will be no more woodworks.

Ben

I emailed David tonight and here is Victoria's reply to me for those interested.

"Thank you for your email. David’s show Woodworks has not been canceled on DIY. He has taped 91 episodes and completed his contract with DIY. Though DIY has not yet asked David to tape new episodes, the 91 episodes continue to be aired. Recently Woodworks has been moved from airing during the week to airing twice on Saturday nights. DIY is always interested to hear viewer comments on programming. If you would like to see the show on more frequently or at different times, please call them at (865) 694-7879 during weekdays. They are located in Tennessee."

Keith
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Christopher
    I emailed David tonight and here is Victoria's reply to me for those interested.

"Thank you for your email. David’s show Woodworks has not been canceled on DIY. He has taped 91 episodes and completed his contract with DIY. Though DIY has not yet asked David to tape new episodes, the 91 episodes continue to be aired. Recently Woodworks has been moved from airing during the week to airing twice on Saturday nights. DIY is always interested to hear viewer comments on programming. If you would like to see the show on more frequently or at different times, please call them at (865) 694-7879 during weekdays. They are located in Tennessee."

Keith
    Forgive me for saying this but.... I intially contracted to get DIY strictly to get David Mark's program. Having a wee bit more experience than many, I found most of what I saw on DIY to be on the lame side. Esp. those contest style programs where folks remodel entire kitchens in 8 hours or less. Anyone who has attempted to do this right knows that you can burn 8 hours on the telephone just tracking down hard to find items yet alone get serious work done in 8 hours. Having seen the vast majority of David Mark's programs, I would venture to say that I will drop DIY from my programming line up esp. if DIY decides not to renew his contract. Its an extension for me to get DIY because of how its bundled in the statelite package and dropping DIY would save quite a bit of cash. I could just about purchase David Marks DVDs (if available) stricly from the saved proceeds of this action. What is truely needed is Woodworking for the Insane. A program where a handful of episodes is devoted to hard core topics. For example, one series will be a detailed viewing of how someone like Alan Turner built the Kneehole desk. Another will detail the purchase of an old jointer or planer, etc. from the pre-auction inspection to the loading and unloading to the rebuilding and the cutting or processing of the first board after restoration. One aspect I like about Norman, King of the Normites is his asides. When ever he begins, he usually goes to a field trip to provide needed background. Be it a factory or a museum to find the piece to copy. Its been said that many newbies will find a hard core program to intense. To hard to follow. I dont think so. Even if they need to watch it twice, they will enjoy it completely. Something that David Mark's seems to have incorporated into his programs. Just my 5 cents worth...
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Dev, from time to time you have some good ideas.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

I agree with Dev, if not for Wood Works I would have virtually no use for DIY. I have recorded every one of David's shows and have them catalogued so I can refer to them when I want (same with NYW). The woodworking channel online has been a godsend as far as I'm concerned.

i agree with Dev, we actually took a few months to decide on getting DIY just to see woodworks and pay so much for the other channels we wouldn't have wanted to watch. maybe the woodworking channel can contract David to go on their lineup

Rob Will Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dev Emch
    I found most of what I saw on DIY to be on the lame side. Esp. those contest style programs where folks remodel entire kitchens in 8 hours or less. Anyone who has attempted to do this right knows that you can burn 8 hours on the telephone just tracking down hard to find items yet alone get serious work done in 8 hours.
    The whole phrase "DIY" (Do It Yourself) has the feel of people learning to change lightbulbs......and taking notes.

So much of the "contest" format is an extension of the equally tedious reality TV craze. I can't watch this fluff.

I agree......quality, detailed, technical programming needs a home of it's own.

Rob

I agree that David Marks Woodworks is the only interesting show on DIY. He takes projects that may appear challenging and breaks them in to logical steps that make them seem much easier and do able. This is the case with people that really know what they are doing and want want to teach. It is ashame that there are no new episodes planed. I think everyone and every level can learn interesting techniques from his show .
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

For those that need a video woodworking fix (like me) don't overlook SMC member Chris DeHut's DVD mag http://www.woodworkingathome.com/

I'm not affiliated with him just a happy customer.
    Regards,
    Greg

David Marks on DIY

I wish the DIY channel would sell issues of David Mark’s show on DVD, similar to what Norm does through his New Yankee Workshop.

We currently live in a subdivision that has neighborhood cable through a satellite dish in a nearby pasture and the cable rate is part of our home owner association dues. Extra channels and upgrades aren’t an option, unless we put up our dish and continue to pay for the existing service. Now this wouldn’t bother me if I had never seen a David Marks program, but during the very last week in our previous house Comcast offered free shows through their new (at the time) Direct TV service. I took a break away from packing and watched an episode of David Mark’s program in which he constructed a beautiful desk out of shop made veneer. From that point on I was hooked and have been looking for any videos/DVDs he might put out.

cheers,
    roger

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    I agree that David Marks Woodworks is the only interesting show on DIY.
    I almost agree with this. I thought the woodturning show was very good. I had absolutely no interest in turning before seeing those shows; now I spend a disturbing amount of time hanging out around the OneWay 2436 at the one retail location in town that stocks them.

Unfortunately, it looks like they only made a handful of episodes.

My wife is into pottery and as a result I've seen "Throwing Clay", which also looks like a good show, albeit not woodworking related. DIY Network must also think it a quality show, since they've reduced it to once a week like Wood Works.

As for the rest, well, I remember staring slack-jawed at the TV screen, in disbelief that they would air something as bad as "Warehouse Warriors". Even on a cable channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Mahony
    I almost agree with this. I thought the woodturning show was very good. I had absolutely no interest in turning before seeing those shows; now I spend a disturbing amount of time hanging out around the OneWay 2436 at the one retail location in town that stocks them.

Unfortunately, it looks like they only made a handful of episodes.

My wife is into pottery and as a result I've seen "Throwing Clay", which also looks like a good show, albeit not woodworking related. DIY Network must also think it a quality show, since they've reduced it to once a week like Wood Works.

As for the rest, well, I remember staring slack-jawed at the TV screen, in disbelief that they would air something as bad as "Warehouse Warriors". Even on a cable channel.
    I forgot about the turning show. Your right. Its also funny that DIY refuses to sell DVDs of the program. After all, I can buy any episode of Modern Marvels from the History Channel and actually did buy a couple as they relate to machine tools and bench tools. Ron Hazeltons program is also a kick. And of course, I can just about get any DVD under the sun showing the King of the Normites building stuff. But no David Marks episodes. Hmmmm. Guess we have to live with boot leg copies....
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.