Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planing a concave surface?

Planing a concave surface?

Did you ever have an idea which makes perfect sense to you, but when you tell the rest of the world about it, they look at you like you have completely lost your mind? Well, I’ve got one of those today.

I’m designing a piece of furniture which includes a coopered panel. When a coopered panel comes out of glue-up, the faces aren’t smooth, they’re faceted. I’m used to smoothing the convex face with a standard handplane. It takes only a few minutes to fair it to a nice smooth curve. The issue in this piece of furniture is that both the convex and concave faces of the panel will be visible. No problem, I thought. I’ll just go get a different plane to clean up the convex side. I was expecting to find planes whose sole is curved. The curve would be such that if you put the plane down on a flat surface, it rocks side-to-side, but not front-to-back. This made sense to me, but when I starting looking around, I didn’t find anything like this in the usual plane catalogs. The closest I could find was a FWW article by a Krenov disciple who described how to build a wood-bodied one. I’ll build one if I must, but the dearth of information out there makes me suspect I’m barking up the wrong tree. Is there some better way to do what I want to do?

Jamie,

Have you looked/searched for circular planes? They're made for convex or concave planing. I'm no expert so if I'm off base be easy on me.

Larry

Jamie, you need a spokeshave with a convex blade. I've see many for sale on ebay over the years.
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McDonaugh
    Jamie, you need a spokeshave with a convex blade. I've see many for sale on ebay over the years.
    Why a spokeshave instead of a plane?

I've got a Stanley 100 1/2 model makers plane. It is small but fits the description of what you are looking for. And, I am sure coopers have a full collection of such items.

Seems to me handles would still get in the way.

A compass plane with adjustable radius runs the "wrong way" for your example, and would require cross grain planing.

Depending on your radius, spokeshave handles might get in your way. A travisher would work but they are spendy.

Look at what people use to do chair scoops and you'll get a good overview.

If its a one-off you might consider just using a sanding disc with a flexible pad on a grinder.

A compass plane might work as well, but also spendy. Maybe a scorp?

Kind of confused whether this is a compound curve or just a partial cylinder, sorry I couldn't be more help.

Here's a sketch of the kind of panel I'm trying to get to. It is coopered from straight boards. The faces are is simple curves, not compound. Getting the concave face to be a smooth curve is what I'm chewing on.

Yes, it is possible to do this with a sander. I've done it this way in the past. However, it is a little tricky to control, and eats lots of sandpaper. That's what set me to thinking about a plane. I use a plane to shape the convex face. Why not the concave one?
    Attached Images Attached Images

How about investing in an old wood plane and reshaping the body and then the blade to match?

Jim
    I started out with nothing and I have most of it left

9. Hi Jamie,

Jim's advice of reshaping a woodie is a good, viable solution that won't cost a lot and works great.

A more expensive, though more extensible method is to try and find some pattern maker's planes. These have interchangable soles with different radii. I have two, one a short, 6 1/2" one made by Preston, and one a 12" one made by a pattern maker.

I use these on coopered doors and moldings. iirc, they cost about $75-$100 each when I bought them.

Take care, Mike

10. You can build that plane very quickly. You can use standard cutters and modify them to have the radius you want.

If you don't want to build it google "Steve Knight" or "Knight Tookworks" he makes hand planes of all sorts and will custom make yours one off if you want. He's likely a great source of information too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton
    Why a spokeshave instead of a plane?

Jamie, because I've seen plenty of convex spokeshaves, but never seen a plane like you describe.
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schoene
    I've got a Stanley 100 1/2 model makers plane. It is small but fits the description of what you are looking for. And, I am sure coopers have a full collection of such items.

Seems to me handles would still get in the way.

A compass plane with adjustable radius runs the "wrong way" for your example, and would require cross grain planing.
    Steve, that plane is radiused front to back and side to side. Jamie is looking for one that is only radiused side to side.
    Dennis

Duh. But the other alternative is readily available too. Chose your radius among a set of hollows and rounds, though the largest round is likely to have a radius of about 2" in a typical set. (The radius cut typically equals the width.) But this would be pretty simple to modify I would think. Or pay Williams and Clark to make a molding plane in precisely the curvature you want.

I just did a search on ebay and it looks like compass planes are bringing around 100

I would consider buying one , doing the project and reselling it on ebay

might evan make a few dollars on the deal

Remember a compass plane has the radius along the long axis. I'm not sure that would work for the cooper panel.

Try Japan Woodworker, I know they have a few options. I was researching this a couple years ago, needed something to work on seat scoops.

I ended up building my own. It works well, I was concerned about the particular radii that I wanted. For a cooper panel I think I would just buy a wooden plane and modify.

It will be a very gentle radius by the looks of things so matching the blade to the body radius shouldn't be too difficult.

And making shavings is so much better than dust, isn't it?