Thread: Started about two years ago

Started about two years ago

I figured it is time to put some pictures to support the many questions that all of the members have answered for me. About two years ago we commenced on what is to be a long remodeling story. This first part of the story is the adding to our garage creating a three seasons porch and landscaping to cap it off. The garage space is for toys and the porch is for the wife. This is phase one. This is the external work that was completed one year ago. In the second picture they are putting in raised planter and stamped concrete
    Attached Images Attached Images

then

If you notice next to the garage extension you see a little window. Well that was the mudroom. Since we took the roof off of it, the LOML included this into the scope of the project. Decided it was not big enough and since I was getting a bigger garage than i needed she wanted some space for a larger mudroom so, we gutted the mudroom and added three feet onto picture two and moved the door to the other face. Now the door movement has made it easier to get sheet product into the house and basement.

Tom,

That's awesome! It's amazing what a porch like that does for the place.

Larry

and then

with the mudroom gutted, we did built in cubbies for the kids stuff new cabinets over a heated floor. I have to find the pictures. Front loads and a maple coutertop for a work surface.

some finishing touches

The porch was finished out with a white oak tongue and groove white oak sills and frames made from rough cedar to accomodate screens and windows. Tomorrow I'll post the where the rest of the remodeling disease has spread.
    Last edited by Tom Peterson; 04-11-2006 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Peterson
    The porch was finished out with a white oak tongue and groove white oak sills and frames made from rough cedar to accomodate screens and windows.
    Tom,

Sorry for interrupting your post. But still I have to say once again that the porch is awsome. Very beautiful indeed, something to be proud of for sure.

Larry

Hey Tom
    Nice job !!!! Im thinking on doing a open porch like this.
    Is that pine tongue and groove boards between the rafters and shingles
    or ship lap ? Seth...
    I Love My Dedicated Machines ! And My Dedicated Wife Loves Me !

Very nice porch. SWMBO likes it, too. What's the floor made of and how do you keep the rain out?

Seth, that is just 1" nominal material. We were going for the old fashioned look of how they used to do roofs. It has a layer of plywood over the top to keep the nails from sticking through.

Dave, the floor is tongue and groove white oak. it has spar varnish on the back side and edges to keep moisture out. the lower 1/3 of the proch is fixed windows. Between that and the overhangs, we do not get any water on the floor. When selecting the floor material one of the wise old men at my lumber yard said "hey, that is what old ironsides is made out of look how long that has lasted."

BTW, there is a full basement below

Tom that is a BIG project and VERY Nice results/ Love the porch and the front of the house. You should be proud... Enjoy it!!
    Jerry

Thumbs up

Tom, that is job well done. Really looks a feels good, the pictures of the inside say welcome. Very comfortable looking. Mighty big change on the outside, super good.

Dave
    Aspire to inspire before you expire.

SMC is user supported. Please consider donating. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

thank you for the kind words. having the porch has really opened things up. we eat out there as often as possible and is is very relaxing. I found a few pictures of the mudroom finished so I am posting to close up that part of the re-model. On to the kitchen in the next thread