View Poll Results: Do you make duplicates of your work?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, everything is one-of-a-kind.

11 34.38%
  • Only if someone asks for a copy of an existing piece.

11 34.38%
  • Only for things that make sense as "sets".

8 25.00%
  • Always: it's the only way to keep the cost down.

2 6.25%

Thread: One of a kind? Sets? Mass quantities?

One of a kind? Sets? Mass quantities?

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Nyvall
    You should make a set of those Lee.
    And that got me thinking...always a dangerous thing: as near as I can tell, since I started this woodworking hobby seriously, I have yet to make a "second" of anything, at least not without diddling the design enough that the two of them don't look like a set. Is this typical? (Note: I don't do things like dining room furniture.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    One of a kind.
    Can't remember how I did the last one.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Lee........you take it for granted that one is capable of making 2 or more alike.....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Anything that I've duplicated, I've enjoyed the process considerably less. Feels a lot like work.

I've done it...but don't like it.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I only want to make one of anything. Sometimes, I do get stuck with making multiples - like night stands, or dining chairs, though.

Heard a story once, about a well known craftsperson who had a chair for sale - $500.00. Potential customer said she wanted twelve of them. He told her "Fine. $15,000.00."

She did the math and got very upset. "Why so much!?" she asked.

"Because I enjoyed making one. Twelve is a job." he replied...

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    Anything that I've duplicated, I've enjoyed the process considerably less. Feels a lot like work.

I've done it...but don't like it.
    I don't like making a dresser with many drawers because I get board from the production of making the drawers. Anything that becomes too repetitive on a project is likely to be less rewarding because it just becomes something you just want to be done.

I used to make a lot of duplicates of certain flatwork boxes but I became so disenchanted with that process I now only do it when I am giving gifts, or if my wife wants some duplicate items for her needlepoint.

When it comes to turning, I can't turn the same thing twice anyway so duplication is not a problem....
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

First of all, I didnt vote, because none of those options apply to me.

As far as things I've made, I have yet to make a duplicate, but that is only because I havent made a lot of stuff yet.

Anyway, I design things in catagories. I have my designs that are to eventually be mass produced and sold through my furniture stores in the future and I have my one of a kind pieces for the people who want them and are willing to pay more for them.

Lee, I had one of those moments of "What I am saying is best for you, but don't expect ME to follow the same."

Actually, I did this tuff a couple of years ago before I had a lathe. The boxes aren't turned, but 16 sided. The 9 cutting boards are all end grain hard maple and cherry. There were 65 items all total... some not shown. I started them in October and was very busy into many nights. I think it's what drove me insane... course others have said it happened long before this.
    NEVER AGAIN!!!

Ernie
    Attached Images Attached Images

It is better to only make one of a kind, but sometimes I end up making several when asked to. For instance, I made a doll display cabinet for the little woman, and later one for my daughter, but they were completely different, and 'wing-it' designs. Another time, I made three matching rocking chairs for my grandsons, then last year three matching rocking horses. For both, I made templates to make the second and third easier. In both cases though, they were modified plans. I can always find a problem with a plan - either too flimsy or they don't look quite the way I would like them.
    I'll attempt to post a couple of pictures...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I voted for "Only if someone asks for a copy of an existing piece. ", because it comes closest to what I do.

Many of the things I make are gifts and often I decide that someone would like somnething similar to an item that I have already made.

I couldn't answer the poll with the given answers. Mine is: I make multiples of something if I like it. Example would be the Shaker style candle stands or the Thos Moser side tables I have made. (another candle stand is in progress at present)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...