Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Built ins completed

Hi Gail;

There is one design element stands out to me. I noticed you used raised panels for the doors, but recessed panels for the sides.

I like that. I know why I like it (and I have a reason why I like it), but I am curious why you did it that way.

Is this a classic design element for this type of built or is this your design element?

Thank you for posting this thread
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Gail O'Rourke
    Thank you,

Rick, I consider built ins any piece that I secure to the wall. These I did, the design was to look like free standing furniture with the construction of a built in. They wanted the versatility to disassemble the unit and move someplace else. This until allows that.

Yes, dust bunnies, but there is a little more room on the side than it appears, plenty of room to get in there and clean.
    I have the same question gail, but I believe we are both asking about the lower cabinet and that it seem to be away from the back of the wall by the thickness of the baseboard. Was or is this an issue that was discussed and how would you approach this if these were going in your home? Just wondering for one of my inprocess projects

thanks
    lou

Great job Gail! Thank you for sharing your talents with us.

-joe
    Illegitimi non carborundum

"If you walk, just walk, if you sit, just sit, but whatever you do, don't wobble."
    -Zen Master Unmon

To gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC
    CLICK --> http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Hi, I was wondering if you would all pick up on that. Ok, see if you can follow me.

If given permission I ALWAYS remove the baseboard for the built ins. This customer did NOT want me to remove the baseboards. This becomes a challenge (but I love a challenge) and get a clean feel. They wanted me to make them so that they could be moved which they never will...but...

So, in looking at the side panel - the bottom case is made with the top bottom and front applied to the case( the panel is not recessed, just the molding applied to the case) I cut the back piece, bring to install. I put the case up against the wall and scribe the back piece around the molding, then apply it, to the case. (the case is screwed in and envision that there is a gap at the top of the case the width of the molding to the wall). Then the counter is attached to the lower case - pushed completely to the wall. The upper case is then installed, again pushed completely to the wall. Then secured to the wall. Make sense?

The recessed versus raised panel, I have done it both ways. I could have done recessed on the sides and was leaving the option open, but I liked the look. I could still apply a recessed panel into the opening, so either way. With this type of built in, you can always add and change things as you go.

I hope that answered the question, thank you for such thoughtful responses, I am glad that you are interested in how and why I do things.

edit here - if it were going in my home, I would remove the base molding. install and reapply

Blog Entries
    Gail,

Great job... as usual.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution