Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First bowl roughed out!!!!

First bowl roughed out!!!!

Success! While definitely NOT the nicest looking bowl on this site, its my frst successful semi-round, kinda hollow bowl shaped thingie so I'm pumped!

Grabbed a chunk of firewood off the pile (lots of choices here - birch and spruce), hacked off a piece, bolted it to the faceplate and proceeded to vibrate it roundish. Unbolted and mounted to my new Grizzly chuck (You'll like it Stu!) and the fun began. Hit the "groove" with the spindle gouge and drilled to depth. Is that sweet or what? Almost went right thru the bottom as I was having so much fun. Swithced over to the skew and chips and curlies were a flying.

It's buried in a pile of shavings on the floor, going to stop and find some DNA tomorrow to give that a try. This stuff cracks like crazy but I'll see if I can save something out of it. About 6" wide and 5" tall.

I learned several things tonight:

1) Sharp is good,
    2) dull is bad,
    3) the grinder is your friend,
    4 Sharp is fun,
    5) dull is not so fun,
    6) tighten your chuck really good,
    7) my "cat like"reflexes are still there, and
    8) I wanna do it again.

First rough bowl (600 x 450).jpg
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

2. Man that is neat!

.......hey.......... when did you get that chuck..... last week....??

What took you so long....

Cheers!

Good first bowl Barry .

However, I'm a bit confused about how you turned it with a spindle gouge and a skew From the photo it's obvious that it's a chunk out of the side of a tree, so you must have had it mounted so the grain was at 90 deg to the lathe's turning axis. Therefore, AFAIK, you should have been using a bowl gouge to safely cut the cross grain (both inside and outside of the bowl). Maybe you changed the grind on your spindle gouge? If not, then I believe you should proceed with caution - I remember being told that using a spindle gouge on cross grain (faceplate turning) is very dangerous and a basic no-no. Was I told wrong? And, the only time I use a skew chisel on a bowl is (rarely) to take a very fine cleanup cut right before sanding....you say you had curlies flying off your skew....hmm?!

Dave F.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Stratton
    6) tighten your chuck really good,
    7) my "cat like"reflexes are still there
    First rough bowl (600 x 450).jpg
    Those two statements sound like they could result in a contribution to the "bowl launching" thread. Just remember, Barry, you may be fast but you ain't 1200 rpm fast. A bowl can hit you three times in a blink at that speed.

Nice job. Your rough out looks nice and I hope it stays together for you.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

5. From what I saw in using the identical chuck today, the tenon on the bowl should be straight, or flat, NOT dovetailed, correct?

I found that with the C-man lathe's spindle lock/indexing stop engaged, the two bar attachment system was really easy to use.

This chuck is no Oneway or Nova, but for the money, it seems really good.

Oh I can't wait to get back down there and try it some more

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
    From what I saw in using the identical chuck today, the tenon on the bowl should be straight, or flat, NOT dovetailed, correct?....
    Stu...I think I know the chuck you are talking about. If you look at the edge of the jaws, they are dovetailed. You should turn your tenon to match that. The dovetail offers some significant holding power and stability. Found this out the hard way.

Hey Barry! Nice Bowl!!!! It's gonna warp so don't get discouraged when it does. Looks like you left plenty of wood there to get it round again after drying. Way to go!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Sheeeeesh, don't you guys ever sleep?? Oh wait I forgot there ain't anywomen in Alaska. Very nice 1st bowl. Barry
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Great start, I love natural edge stuff.
    Welcome to the "bowl chasing olympics". I've chased a couple accross the magic garage.
    I think the "Vortex" that we slipped into somehow alters the "space time continuum thing". One minute you're happly turning, the chips are flowing. Then in a flash your bowl disappears, and reappears on the other side of the shop
    You're right about sharp tools, I sharpen mine several times during a turning session.
    I've also figured out that specially with green wood every once in a while stop and tighten the chuck!!
    Another thing I've found is to put a plastic washer on your spindle before you thread the chuck on. It keeks the chuck from binding on the shoulder of the spindle, and makes removal much easier. I was lazy and bought a couple at the woodcraft store, but you could easly make one

9. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dunn
    Sheeeeesh, don't you guys ever sleep?? Oh wait I forgot there ain't anywomen in Alaska. Very nice 1st bowl. Barry
    Low blow, low blow!!

At least the sun come up over the horizon for a few hours a day now.......

This chuck,

"G8783 4-Jaw Chuck For Round pc. - 3/4" x 16 TPI"

Dunno, but the inside there looks fairly straight to me.....

10. That's a great start, Barry! Look forward to seeing it finished up!

Way to go Barry! You are the Man!......Standby for sticker shock on that DNA. I paid $13.00 a gallon....I can only imagine what it'll cost you in Alaska! Good Luck with that NE wet bowl!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

12. Hey, can't you get Everclear up in Alaska....?

95%

Here's the dove tail illustration Stu. Look closely at the side profile of the jaw and you'll see that it is dovetailed on the inner diameter and the outer diameter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

14. Yes sir, you are correct, I forgot to mention that I found that out tonight.

Cheers!

Barry, Nice work. Looks like you got a really smooth finish on the wood. Keep them coming!
    Ed