Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restoring Old Iron...pics.

Restoring Old Iron...pics.

Bet you guys thought it would be that old Oliver lathe I just bought...heh heh. I've put up some pics in the past of our family hobby...restoring old tractors.

Well here is the latest one a 1936 Silver King my dad has been working on and just finished it. As usual he does most of the work himself and only asking for help if something heavy needs to be picked up, moved, or he can't see well enough to line up a part. Either my oldest son or I will paint his tractors. It's not that I wouldn't do more for him but at 80 years old he is pretty independent about wanting to keep himself busy.

My brother Dennis found this tractor in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and told dad about it, he went up with a trailer and intended to winch it on but the previous owner told him to start it up and drive it on.....Bonus!

The double Silver King decal on the fender is a mistake but will be corrected. It has a 4 cylinder Hercules engine and this one was inteded for heavy duty work as evidenced from the heavy rims.

Someday soon I hope to get my 1944 John Deere B done

The last pic is of my dad and his great grandson Cole.

<!-- / message --><!-- attachments --><!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->
    Attached Images Attached Images

Steve.....that is neat beyond words..........your Dad, great grandson and your Dad still working!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Way cool Steve!! That's one lucky grandson. Makes my project Parks Planer look like child's play. Congratulate the old man for me, he done good.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Sure is silver!!! Nice job on that one, Steve...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I was hoping it would be pics of the Oliver. But those aren't bad either. That's a beautiful old tractor!

Very nice Steve. You put a lot of work into that one. Looks GREAT!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

That's a sweet tractor, Steve. Congratulate your dad for me on a job well done.

Seeing the rear tires, I'm curious what type of work this tractor was designed to do. I'm used to seeing big lugs on the tread...you dad's looks like it has more of a turf tread. Is this the case?

- Vaughn

8. Wow, what a great job he did!

Sure is a nice looking machine!

Will it just be for show, or will it get some work done too?

I'm curious about the tires too, they look like.......... street tires

Cheers!

The tires are a turf tire, also notice the front rims are solid instead of spoke, the rear wheels have a extra weight in the center as well. This tractor was most likely ordered for work other than agriculture since it also had a mower bracket attached when dad bought it. The paint was not silver when he bought it either and had a coat of paint over the original silver. We think it was owned by a county road commision and probably was used to mow grass along the roads or county parks etc.

All of dad's tractors are housed inside his pole barn (mine too) and he doesn't do any real work with them. Dad will take them out of the barn, line them up along the road so that passing motorists get a "free show" of his work. He gets a kick out of doing that...then puts them back inside at night.

He just finished this one up on Friday and is already looking for a Oliver 770 standard for his next challenge. All the restorations are definately show quality and I've tried to talk him into taking a couple of them to shows....but he always declines.

pretty cool steve, four generations of gearheads. tell your dad he does nice work! tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Steve, please give your Dad a big "High Five" from me! Great resto! I can't imagine how much work must go into one of those. Hey, any chance for some "before" pics???
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    OOOOh Weeeee!! Baby Baby!!! I love that stuff.
    Maybe in my next life
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Hey, any chance for some "before" pics???
    Sorry John, I didn't take any when he first brought it home....something I should do.

I'll pass the accolades on to him guys, probably sit him down here and let him see himself, you'll make his day.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ash
    Sorry John, I didn't take any when he first brought it home....something I should do.
    Well, maybe when he picks up that Oliver 770, heh???
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Sure will John.