Thread: Home construction

Home construction

So on Tuesday they tore off my roof. Wednesday saw the first row of studs go up, and today saw them put plywood on the new parts of the house. Very exciting. Very expensive.

But, my question is, some of the seams between the plywood have gaps up to 1/8", sometimes for six or seven feet. These gaps sometimes run vertically, and sometimes horizontally.

Is this a problem, or normal in home construction? I may be comitting an error if I view this an fine furniture construction, and I'm trying not to... but this just seems off to me.

Someone, please tell me I'm worrying over nothing, or point me to something I can use to get the contractor to fix this. Thanks a bunch, and of course, since he's coming back tomorrow, time is important on this one. I appreciate whatever your thoughts might be,

B2

Not to worry

Hi Benjamin,
    Actually what you are seeing is a good thing. Most framers, builders, deckers, (whatever you choose to call them) put up decking material wrong wrong. What you are seeing is a correct application. As a wood worker you should know wood shrinks and expands with moisture or lack of it. Plywood will shrink and expand a lot in a home enviroment. In the attic you have condensation from your HVAC system. The moisture goes directly to the underside of your roof decking, then you have expansion. If the joints are butted tight the ply will buckle and give a rippling effect on your roof. On roof decking , the proper insatll is an eigth of an inch around the perimiter of the sheet. Rest easy on this one. By the way, I am a construction consultant to home builders with 35 years experience.

Regards,
    Tubby Tubbs

Thank you, thank you, thank you... I can sleep easier now. Of course, the wind's whipping through the tarp, the house has no AC, the daughter is afraid the men will come in the middle of the night and use the hammers again, and the cat's are confined in the basement... But at least I know the contractor's doing a good job. I appreciate it.

B2

Bb

Good to see you at the Creek. Have missed seeing your posts from days at BP.

Hope the addition goes smoothly- Post pics please (we are talking about adding on as well- need ideas!)
    Mark

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."
    Will Rogers

Thanks, Mark, between work and the addition, I just haven't had time to do much woodworking. After I wrote the note, I spent some time reading the posts... It was nice. If you guys want, I'll certainly post some pics. I've been taking a bunch of pics.

B2

Additions and Tearing Off Roofs

We did a 1000 sg ft addition to our house a few years ago. It started with tearing off the roof over our family room. Even with tarps, it rained in. Have some buckets handy - you may need them!

B2,

What Rob said, in spades..... went through part of a snowy winter without part of a roof - got a little cold and unpleasant, not to mention the damage to the HW floor below. Good luck, and do hourly non-rain dances. Dave.