Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Router Lifts - Update

Router Lifts - Update

Finally got my taxes e-filed today and have $600 coming back from Fed & State. I probably should put the money toward my cyclone purchase, but I'm just not that smart. I've been thinking about getting a router lift for my DW621 for quite a while and this might be a good time to do it. So far I've come across a few options.

Woodpecker Plunge lift for $149 that would rely on my DW621 plunge mechanism for the travel.
    http://www.woodpeck.com/plungelift.html

Woodpecker Unilift for $289
    http://www.woodpeck.com/unilift.html
    I briefly searched through past SMC threads on the Woodpecker. Most of those threads were on their PRL (Precision Router Lift) model though. And I'm coming away with the impression that there are a few quirks/bugs with the Woodpeckers but maybe nothing insurmountable.

Benchdog ProLift for $319 @ routerbits.com
    http://www.benchdog.com/prolift.htm
    The lift itself is pretty pricey but looks built like a tank. On top of that, it also means I'd need to get a new router as it only accepts the PC 7518. Normally I'd shy away from this one for that reason but then got to thinking. It would be nice to leave my Microfence edge guide permanently attached to the DW621. It currently takes me about 10 mins to remove the DW from the table plate, re-attach the factory phenolic plate, and hook on the Microfence.
    So that got me looking at prices on the PC 7518. Since I have no real plans to use it out of the table and lift I was originally searching for the 75182 Motor only, but ended up ditching that idea. It turns out Amazon has the whole package for less than the motor only, especially considering that the motor doesn't come with the 2nd collet that I'd need. So tack another $265 (after curent amazon promos) on. That brings the Benchdog route to a whopping $584. That's my whole tax return.

Anybody used both the Woodpecker and the Benchdog? Is the Dog worth the extra $$
    Are there other ones I should be looking at too?
    Last edited by Doug Shepard; 04-29-2006 at 3:35 PM.
    Use the fence Luke

At the risk of sounding like a shill, maybe consider the Milwaukee 5616 or 5625 and skip the lift.

The base design gives you the convenience of a lift and you'll have another router to use for the price of the lift alone. If you don't plan on doing panel raising the 5616 has plenty of power and in a pinch could raise a panel.

If you really want convenience buy an extra base off the auction site and just swap motor when you want it handheld.

I now own a 5615, 5616, and a 5625 (previously was all Porter Cable) and am happy with them. I own the 621 as well and love it but find plungers a bit of a hassle in a table. Easier to change bits by just pulling the motor from a fixed base.

One thing to check is the motor spindle for travel. They seem to have had a batch that didn't get some wave washers installed but Milwaukee will correct. Discovered this on the 5625.

I have had the Woodpecker PRL & PC 7518 for over 2 years. I have not had any problems with the setup. I did add an Eliminator chuck to the router. By using an L shaped allen wrench I can change bits from above with the chuck below the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rosenberger

I have had the Woodpecker PRL & PC 7518 for over 2 years. I have not had any problems with the setup. I did add an Eliminator chuck to the router. By using an L shaped allen wrench I can change bits from above with the chuck below the table.
    I've had the same setup since Woodpecker first introduced them, except I use the bent wrenches instead of the Eliminator chuck and have no problems changing bits. The only issue I have is that when I bought mine they were only available with fine threads on the raising/lowering mechanism which means it takes a lot of turns of the crank to get the bit high enough to change. Now they offer a course thread which cuts the number of turns in half, which I would definitely opt for if I was buying it today. Other than that, it is built like a tank and with the PC 7518, it is great combination which I would highly recommend.

Chris/Ken
    I decided to reserve my DW621 for Microfence use and I ended up ordering a PC 7518 for dedicated table use (it's supposed to arrive tomorrow). I also ordered the additional PC 1/4" quick release collet. After more research I'd settled on either the Jessem Mast-R-Lift or the Woodpecker PRL. I think I've finally decided on the PRL but have a few more questions based on your replies.

You're supposed to be able to change bits without removing the lift (?)
    Is the Eliminator chuck and/or offset wrenches just a convenience that allows you to change the bit without cranking the lift all the way up? If so, I'm really wondering what the advantage is of getting the course thread version if you tend not to bother raising up all the way to change bits anyway?? It seems like you'd get the best of both worlds by going with the fine pitch and just using the Eliminator or wrenches to change bits with the lift in whatever position it happened to be in?
    Am I missing some other advantage of going with the course thread other than the number of turns it takes to raise all the way up?
    Use the fence Luke

I just got my Jessem Rout-R-Lift installed in my table saw. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but it is sweet. It takes a few cranks but you can raise the collet and change bits above the table with the Rout-R-Lift.

Doug,
    I can't speak to the lifts you mention because I have an old Jessem Rout R Lift. What I can say is that I think you made a good choice. I feel that the DW621 is one of the best handheld routers that i have ever used. I am not a big dewalt fan either but it is the one I reach for first. It would be criminal to have that thing stuck in a table IMHO.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Anderson
    I just got my Jessem Rout-R-Lift installed in my table saw. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but it is sweet. It takes a few cranks but you can raise the collet and change bits above the table with the Rout-R-Lift.
    I didn't look too close at the Rout-R-Lift but was really tempted by their Mast-R-Lift which I think is basically a Rout-R-Lift on steroids. The thing that finally knocked it out of the running though was the plate thickness. It's a pretty odd size - 21/32" instead of the fairly standard 3/8". While searching around for lifts I also ended up tossing one of these into the overall upgrade as I have a need to make quite a few cuts at various angles on some projects
    http://www.woodhaven.com/detail.aspx?ID=1546

That means I'll now have 2 plates that need to be interchangeable in the same table opening. That's what finally pushed me toward the PRL.
    Use the fence Luke

Smile

I have the Milwaukee router and it works pretty good for $300.00. I bought the Jessem system and the big PC router. I can easily make tiny adjustments.0001 or so. It cost me around $1200.00 but worth every penny.
    Jim

OK I'm cheap, no I'm conservative. Actually I'm poor so I bought the router raizer (sp) and cheap battery screw gun that works fine but that wasn't you question. If you would have asked ne what the next lottery tickets would have been.

Take a look at the Woodpecker "Quick Lift". I have it and the PRL. I prefer the Quick Lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard
    Chris/Ken
    I decided to reserve my DW621 for Microfence use and I ended up ordering a PC 7518 for dedicated table use (it's supposed to arrive tomorrow). I also ordered the additional PC 1/4" quick release collet. After more research I'd settled on either the Jessem Mast-R-Lift or the Woodpecker PRL. I think I've finally decided on the PRL but have a few more questions based on your replies.

You're supposed to be able to change bits without removing the lift (?)
    Is the Eliminator chuck and/or offset wrenches just a convenience that allows you to change the bit without cranking the lift all the way up? If so, I'm really wondering what the advantage is of getting the course thread version if you tend not to bother raising up all the way to change bits anyway?? It seems like you'd get the best of both worlds by going with the fine pitch and just using the Eliminator or wrenches to change bits with the lift in whatever position it happened to be in?
    Am I missing some other advantage of going with the course thread other than the number of turns it takes to raise all the way up?
    Doug,
    I had the choice between fine & coarse threads. I opted for the fine threads & Eliminator chuck, because fine threads means fine adjustments. I have never tried one with coarse threads. So I can not say that I made the best choice. I have been happy with the fine threads.

Doug,
    I have had the Benchdog and the PC7518 for about 2 years, can't think of anything that I would want it to do better. It (the lift) is a TANK and is so easy to adjust. It is pricey, but it is one of those purchases that you will never need to make again.

jim

"Anybody used both the Woodpecker and the Benchdog? Is the Dog worth the extra $$
    Are there other ones I should be looking at too?"

Have I got a deal for you!

(A freebie)

Doug, I went with the PRL with the fine threads. One thing to think about is to look at the "Specials" page. While there are no lifts on it right now, it changes often. I got mine for about 70.00 off the regular price. It was code B which means it has full warranty, some minor cosmetic blemishes. Mine had a couple scuff type scratches on the face. Also if you're not on the Woodpecker email, do that. Then watch for specials. It's about time they did something on the lifts again. I think the special I got in on saved me an extra 10.00 on the lift and made the template free, or something like that. Good luck. Remember, shopping IS the hunt. The tool is the feast. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.