Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Router Lifts - Update

Quote Originally Posted by Frank G
    OK I'm cheap, no I'm conservative. Actually I'm poor so I bought the router raizer (sp) and cheap battery screw gun that works fine but that wasn't you question. If you would have asked ne what the next lottery tickets would have been.
    \

Frank, I'm with you.

Next time Amazon has a sale for the Raizer, I'm going to buy. I've talked by email with 2 owners who have nothing bad to say about the system..........

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tobias
    Doug,
    I have had the Benchdog and the PC7518 for about 2 years, can't think of anything that I would want it to do better. It (the lift) is a TANK and is so easy to adjust. It is pricey, but it is one of those purchases that you will never need to make again.

jim
    The Benchdog was originally on the top of my short list but also got eliminated due to the plate size. It's 8-1/4" x 11-3/4" instead of 9-1/4" x 11-3/4" like a lot of the others and makes using both it and the Woodhaven AngleEase in the same table impossible. It's an impressive looking beast though, and there are lots of good comments on it on WW forums. In the end, it just wouldn't fit my table opening needs.
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell
    Doug, I went with the PRL with the fine threads. One thing to think about is to look at the "Specials" page. While there are no lifts on it right now, it changes often. I got mine for about 70.00 off the regular price. It was code B which means it has full warranty, some minor cosmetic blemishes. Mine had a couple scuff type scratches on the face. Also if you're not on the Woodpecker email, do that. Then watch for specials. It's about time they did something on the lifts again. I think the special I got in on saved me an extra 10.00 on the lift and made the template free, or something like that. Good luck. Remember, shopping IS the hunt. The tool is the feast. Jim.
    I think the fine thread PRL is the one I'm going to get. Thanks for the tip on the Specials page. Lets hope they put some on there quick. I'm hoping to get one on order pretty quick.
    Use the fence Luke

They're Heeere

Well I ended up exceeding my tax return money just a little bit.
    Ended up with the Woodpecker PRL, a PC7518, and threw in a Woodhaven AngleEase as well. I had to recut the opening as my old plates were 8x11-3/4 instead of 9-1/4x11-3/4. I got the plate hole recut in my table yesterday. The PRL and the Woodhaven plates are the same L&W and are supposed to be the same thickness, but Woodhaven's idea of 3/8" is 0.392 and has no leveling screws. The PRL was exactly 3/8 thick. Of course I managed to overshoot a bit on the depth and ended up applying a strip of Slik-Tape all the way around the ledge to compensate. Finished leveling the plates this morning. Had to put 2 layers of blue tape on a short and long edge of the Woodhaven but got it flush now. And the PRL flushed up pretty easily using the set screws. The only upgrade left to do is swapping out the mobile base next weekend after it arrives. Haven't made any cuts yet as I had to race to get my local tax forms filled out and in the mail by today. They aren't due until 5/1 and since I always end up having to pay them a few bucks ($14 this time) I always put it off to the last minute.
    The table, Incra jig, and cabinet are'nt new BTW.

So the DW621 has now graduated to hand-held duty only.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Doug Shepard; 04-29-2006 at 3:37 PM.
    Use the fence Luke

Thats a nice outfit Doug.
    You will enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kain
    \

Frank, I'm with you.

Next time Amazon has a sale for the Raizer, I'm going to buy. I've talked by email with 2 owners who have nothing bad to say about the system..........
    John,
    Two things to note about the Router Raizer. First, the modification to your router may be permanent. On my router, I had to drill the hole is the router's body larger. There's no going back. Second, the small knurled knob that replaces the large factory knob for height adjustment is difficult on my fingers when turning. This knob still gets used when using the router as hand held, or when the router table fence prohibits the use of the hex wrench. I also lost the little metal plug that covers the hole in the baseplate for the hex wrench. It's probably in my shop vac.

Overall, it's a descent kit, but has some limitations.

-Jeff

Nice set up Doug! Looks great!

Corey

Good for you, Doug. Did they add some reburbs, or did you splurge for the regular price? Let us know how you like it. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell
    Good for you, Doug. Did they add some reburbs, or did you splurge for the regular price? Let us know how you like it. Jim.
    No, I paid the regular price. I emailed them to ask if they had any blem versions, but no luck. I really wanted to get this set of upgrades over and done with so I can get on to the next one (getting a cyclone DC bought and installed) so I decided not to wait on the off chance that they'd come up with any specials on that model. I did do some test cuts this morning and am pretty happy with the whole setup. The only thing I dont like about the PRL is the graphics. My eyes aren't what they used to be. Whoever thought of putting white scale markings on that gold plate should be shot. There's just not enough contrast to read them easily.
    Use the fence Luke

10. Have you considered getting a shaper?

There is aWoodTek unit that may not be a whole lot more than you are considering wiht a router and a lift.

I got the big Triton because I didn't want to bother with a lift.
    I install it with everything on it except the factory skid plate and change collets above the table.
    It's an entirely unsophisticated router but it's just fine in a table.

I have the woodpeckers quicklift with a DW618 and would not be without it. For years I have had a DW625 and a Frued FT2000E in LV steel tables without a lift and managed very well however after using the quick lift I would not be without one. I considered the PRL and spoke with Woodpeckers about it but raising and lowering would be far too slow for what I do.

Andy

Raizer

I'm w/ Frank G. Got the Router Raizer--

Installation is a chore--but it seems to work well as a cheap solution--way under $100 on sale.

Perhaps not the precision others offer, but it lifts and lowers the heavy router (3HP HF) no sweat.

BILL

I have an original PRL with a 7518 and it has been rock solid. I did have an issue a few years back the unit would hit a spot and then not go any further. Once call to Woodpeckers and I sent it in and they repaired it FREE and had it back to me in a few days good as new. I have not had any issues since.

How solid is the Milwakee? When you adjust the height do you lock it down so it won't move?

look at the Jessem FX lift I have one and it works very good for me also you can remove your router in secounds mine fit my bosch and porter cable routers it well also fit yours.