Thread: Router Lifts - Update

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Router Lifts - Update

Finally got my taxes e-filed today and have $600 coming back from Fed & State. I probably should put the money toward my cyclone purchase, but I'm just not that smart. I've been thinking about getting a router lift for my DW621 for quite a while and this might be a good time to do it. So far I've come across a few options.

Woodpecker Plunge lift for $149 that would rely on my DW621 plunge mechanism for the travel.
    http://www.woodpeck.com/plungelift.html

Woodpecker Unilift for $289
    http://www.woodpeck.com/unilift.html
    I briefly searched through past SMC threads on the Woodpecker. Most of those threads were on their PRL (Precision Router Lift) model though. And I'm coming away with the impression that there are a few quirks/bugs with the Woodpeckers but maybe nothing insurmountable.

Benchdog ProLift for $319 @ routerbits.com
    http://www.benchdog.com/prolift.htm
    The lift itself is pretty pricey but looks built like a tank. On top of that, it also means I'd need to get a new router as it only accepts the PC 7518. Normally I'd shy away from this one for that reason but then got to thinking. It would be nice to leave my Microfence edge guide permanently attached to the DW621. It currently takes me about 10 mins to remove the DW from the table plate, re-attach the factory phenolic plate, and hook on the Microfence.
    So that got me looking at prices on the PC 7518. Since I have no real plans to use it out of the table and lift I was originally searching for the 75182 Motor only, but ended up ditching that idea. It turns out Amazon has the whole package for less than the motor only, especially considering that the motor doesn't come with the 2nd collet that I'd need. So tack another $265 (after curent amazon promos) on. That brings the Benchdog route to a whopping $584. That's my whole tax return.

Anybody used both the Woodpecker and the Benchdog? Is the Dog worth the extra $$
    Are there other ones I should be looking at too?
    Last edited by Doug Shepard; 04-29-2006 at 3:35 PM.
    Use the fence Luke