Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oval kitchen table....?

Ken

Most Cad programs, even the cheap ones will let you Export the program in another format. When I want to post something here I just export to a folder as a .jpig file. Then post it like a picture..

Does this work Dennis? I kept the layout simple enough to layout with basic tools and virtually no math. If you want the layout, let me know.

By the way, I use a program called HyperSnap to make screen shots like this. With it I can copy just a region if I want.
    Attached Images Attached Images

dennis try drawing a "boat edged " table, the shape is pretty pleasing for a dining room.....after so many years when somebody says "oval" i automaticly think of defining it mathimatically so i can build it. most window and door manufacturers use double-centered arches in lieu of true ellipses for transoms, but ellipses are common in doors for lites..02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards
    Does this work Dennis? I kept the layout simple enough to layout with basic tools and virtually no math. If you want the layout, let me know.
    dave, you where drawing a boat-edge as i was one-fingerin`.....thanks, tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    dave, you where drawing a boat-edge as i was one-fingerin`.....thanks, tod
    I drew it 'cause I'm no good with words like you are.

I drew it 'cause I'm no good with words like you are.
    if i could draw on a computer as well as you i wouldn`t have to work so hard at literacy..

if i could draw on a computer as well as you i wouldn`t have to work so hard at literacy..
    LOL!!!!! Wow Tod....I'm impressed with all them BIG Words you is usin' now-a-days!!!!

Back on the table design......I don't really know exactly what I'm asking as I was thinking "simple" again and asked about an "oval" table. Boy, do I have a "lot to learn".!!!!

I guess I'd better think this through a LOT more before asking any more questions. Now I have so many options that my little brain is spinnin' a mile a minute.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    LOL!!!!! Wow Tod....I'm impressed with all them BIG Words you is usin' now-a-days!!!!

Back on the table design......I don't really know exactly what I'm asking as I was thinking "simple" again and asked about an "oval" table. Boy, do I have a "lot to learn".!!!!

I guess I'd better think this through a LOT more before asking any more questions. Now I have so many options that my little brain is spinnin' a mile a minute.
    dennis, as you know i type much better than i speak.....if you choose to go with the design dave drew you can use a square apron and it will look good, hence saving you lots of work bending boards....02 tod

dennis, as you know i type much better than i speak.....if you choose to go with the design dave drew you can use a square apron and it will look good, hence saving you lots of work bending boards....02 tod
    Dave's drawing is great....but too square from what I've gathered from the lady that wants the table. I guess it's more like the "left-most" design that Jamie drew up. 1st line of shapes, 1st design.

Make sense? Am I getting into more that I've bargained for on this?
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

So I made a couple more tops that are a little more oval. I didn't take the time to round off the corners like I did in the first one which is to the left in the this shot. Am I getting closer?

Maybe what you really want is a super ellipse. Take a look at this link or Google it. http://www.oberonplace.com/products/...or/lesson2.htm
    Dave, that is slicker than snot on a glass doorknob.
    Best Regards, Ken

Dennis,
    The superelliptical shape that Dave Richards suggests seems to be both the most pleasing as well as most practical shape for this tabletop.

The only suggestion I can make is that perhaps the 39” x 60” dimensions could be slightly adjusted to the golden proportion of 1:1.618. Whether you would apply that mean to the overall dimensions, the included rectangle, or thru the centroids of the arc (?) sectors, is where you get to have all the fun!
    Frank

In the contract furniture trade, we used to call radiused ends with parallel sides a "racetrack" table, for obvious reasons. The shape Dave showed in the CAD drawing is in fact a "Boat" shaped table. I am liking that "superelipse" form. That seems to work well on almost any proportion of table size- something the other shapes don't do well. I"m going to try that shape on the next ovalesque table order I get.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock
    Dave, that is slicker than snot on a glass doorknob.
    Did someone say "glass doorknob"?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    Dave's drawing is great....but too square from what I've gathered from the lady that wants the table. I guess it's more like the "left-most" design that Jamie drew up. 1st line of shapes, 1st design.

Make sense? Am I getting into more that I've bargained for on this?
    dennis, the drawing you mention appears to be parallel sides with segments of circles on the ends? if that`s the case it`ll be pretty straight forward to lay out and build. depending on her budgit you can decide if she get bent aprons or not...02 tod