Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LN Prices @ TWS?

Question LN Prices @ TWS?

I was considering buying a LN Plane. There is a TWS WW'ing show coming to town in 2 or 3 weeks. I was wondering if anybody could tell me if the prices are any better from LN at the show as opposed to ordering now.

Thanks,
    John

I've heard they are, but I don't know how good. Also, they have to charge local sales tax. But there is that instant gratification thing.

I'm waiting for the show to come to Santa Clara next weekend.

You might want to try the Fine Tool Journal web site (www.finetoolj.com). Their prices are equal to or slightly less than I've found elsewhere and they offer free shipping. I bought my LN Dovetail saw from them and was happy with their service.

In Kansas City it was 10% off and no shipping, most of their stuff had to be shipped probally because of space, plus sales tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Mello
    You might want to try the Fine Tool Journal web site (www.finetoolj.com). Their prices are equal to or slightly less than I've found elsewhere and they offer free shipping. I bought my LN Dovetail saw from them and was happy with their service.
    Another vote the Fine Tool Journal. Just tack an /LN on the end of the URL and you will go directly to the LN page. Another kicker is that the shipping is free.
    Best Regards, Ken

Forget about instant gratification for the most part (especially on all but the smallest handplanes (ie. 102's)). They bring very little stock to the show. 10% off and free shipping, but you pay your local sales tax. In my case (dovetail saw), shipping took 13 calendar days.

Oh, well, at least I know that now.

Make sure that they will even be there. TWS advertised they would be in Harrisburg but they were not there Friday. I don't know about the other days.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    FTJ. Good stuff reasonably priced.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

I went to the L-N booth in Saratoga, NY. Tom L-N was there selling and demonstrating. It was 10% off list, plus 8% sales tax. Fine tool journal offers a good discount, free shipping and no sales tax.

I ended up just ordering directly from LN (not waiting for the show). I have a project that I plan on working on prior to the show. FTJ had a 1-month lead time on the chisel plane (97 1/2), and was looking at LATE AUGUST for either the 4 or 4 1/2. With that kind of lead time, its amazing they do any sales at all.

LN said they could ship the chisel plaine right away, and about 1 week lead time for the 4 HAF.

Does anyone know if LN does a shipment notification?

- John

12. Hi John,

I don't remember if they automatically do a shipment notification, but shoot Jennifer an email requesting one. They are among of the best people to do business with.

Take care, Mike

Factory Discount

By way of putting the information out there LN do offer a good discount for bulk purchases plus free shipping. Check with them. I got 15% off my last order. Ok I am suffering from terminal "Lie-Nielsen-itis" and my orders tend to be in the multiple thousands of dollars... but struth they are good tools. Also medicating the wife prior to receiving the tools helps...

Geoff,

"medicating the wife"
    interesting solution to a serious problem

Sometimes the value of the shows isn't the discount. I spent about 2+ hrs at the LN booth in Columbus, picked up tips on flatening, sharpening, and comments on what planes would work best for me. I was glad to order from LN at the show. Yes, I could have bought it cheaper at FTJ, but the time spent was better than any class I've paid to attend. I should have wrote them a check for the time. I know the wait is tough, and if you need it you need it. The Aug lead time, sounds long for LN, most seem under 6 weeks, and I've never seen anything over 13 weeks. As many 4 and 4-1/2 as they sell, you might want check again or another reseller such as Woodcraft.

John