Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Good Morning and I hope that everyone had a nice Easter Weekend.

Now...let's see....I've got a lot on my plate at work AND in the shop right now. I'm putting the topcoat on the train table I'm making for a customer. I'll post pics once I get it all done this week.
    I have the computer desk that I have to start on this week. I need to make a template for the leg design I have settled on to make sure my thoughts and joinery will work as expected. I sure could use Sketchup, but that will be a couple of years down the road since it's not as inexpensive as DeltaCAD.
    I have a Oval Kitchen Table that I have to make for a customer and this will start AFTER I get the computer desk done.

Spent some time sharpening up 3 of my handplanes last night that took me 4 hours to get them back in shape and sharp again. I really need to learn a good way of keeping my blades sharp in my handplanes.

Church on Sunday and spent most of the day with the family and we all ate Easter dinner until we just about needed to be "rolled" away from the table. Sure was good and the LOML always fixs up a special dinner for Easter.

It's back to work today and back in the shop tonight.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all....
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Well, I spent Wed, Friday and Sat. in Denison, TX. Dad had quadruple bypass surgery on Wed. He's doing well. In fact, I bet the nurses will kick him out before the Dr. releases him. Came in mid Sat afternoon and started reassembling the bedroom we repainted. Got my computer back up and running in there. I sure have missed it. Sunday I worked on the sprinkler system. Ken gave me some pointers in the off topic forum that helped me get the pump running. Once running, the pump blew the filter assembly out of the ground. Now I have that to look forward to repair. Have a good week! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I just got started on a decent size project for me. A buddy of mine wants a poker table. So we picked up some really nice figured oak. I just got each of the 8 sides rough cut for now. I need to find a place with a 9 or 10 inch jointer to face on side for me.

He bought an already built base from a local unfinished lumber dealer:

Here is an idea of what the top is going to look like. Im going to route 3 individual poker chip holders, but im not going to cut all the way through the top.:

Lots and lots of yard work, planting flowers, trimming shrubs, mowing, cleaning out a decorative pond.... so essentially sore body today.

Began building a medicine cabinets for my master bathroom remodel.

Celebrated Easter and my moms birthday on Sunday.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Not much time in the shop itself, but spent a lot of time gathering materials and ideas for my next project which will keep me busy for some time! Almost missed the Sunrise Service on Easter Morning due to the radio station that my clock is set to being offline. All in all, a somewhat relaxing weekend.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Hey Dennis,
    Another Day in Paradise. Beautiful day here in the Minneapple.
    Really happy with my LV MK 11 manual and MK 11 electric. Between the two I get some serious scary sharp
    A little shop time . Some home remuttling. Yard work.
    Good time with the family Yesterday.
    Polished some details on the creeker get together in LaCrosse.

Tyler

TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Saturday........worked around the house and turned a full scale model for some spindle tables that I'm getting ready to start. It was raining so couldn't do yard work..........

Sunday...even though it was Easter Sunday....the LOML and I both work so we got some yard work done ......blew up a cherry bowl trying to finish turn it and turned an oak box to send to my MIL.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Old Tools

Spent the weekend going thru my Father-in-Law's house and basement and garage. He passed away in Dec 2005. He was a collector of almost anything including junk. Found a lot of old and interesting tools and things in and around all the other stuff. He was a tool and die maker by trade and taught shop class for many years as well. Came across many things he made himself. I already have all his hand planes, and I found several Stanley tools in the mix. We also have his 3 machinist chests full of all kinds of interesting things. Found a decent Atlas bench vise in the garage. I am also getting both his lathes-1 metal, 1 woodturning. The wood lathe is his original lathe that he bought when he was 14 from Sears, around 1936. Still works great, quiet and true. All the original accessories, and he added a compound rest from a metal lathe to boot. Ended up bringing home 3 Rubbermaid Totes and a crate full of old tools and the 3 tools chests. Oh, almost forgot the Disston & Sons D-23 hand saw. A little rough but salvageable.
    Very emotional weekend for my wife and I. We miss him a lot.

I worked on more Turkey Calls, while Karen finished her first Bowl from a nice piece of Ambrosia Maple that I got from Jim Ketron.

I think she did rather well on her First Bowl!

Another victim of "The Vortex!
    Wood is Good!
    Greetings from The Green Mountain State!

Kurt

Blog Entries
    Friday after work I got some time in the shop just cleaning up all of the four dozen stiles and rails that will be incorporated into the bar room window shutters that are in the process of taking up my woodworking time allotment. Saturday morning it was a buddy and me hitting the Delaware River for some shad fishing and then heading home and getting ready for opening night at my Saturday night dirt track racing venue. Couldn't have been much of a better day as my long time favorite driver, Billy "The Kid" Pauch kicked butt and took down names on his way to his third consective opening night win at the track, his 62nd feature win there and the 620th feature event win of his career. That's him down below with his car owner, his daughter and a fan out of the stands enjoying victory lane.

Sunday was full of lots of downtime and mother nature decided to hit me with something that would keep me hanging around the house out of necessity and preventing me from enjoying Easter dinner with some close freinds across the street. Drat all of that cheese on Friday nights pizza!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Spent all day Saturday pulling wild bushes from our side yard. Sunday visisted LOML's family for breakfast and my family for dinner. After we got home spent a couple more hours pulling bushes. A few more hours pulling bushes tonight. Getting close though.

Worked,

Tis was the season for lots of Easter lily deliveries. Mostly church orders. Unfortunately, Easter is dying holiday and people don't get dressed up and go to church like they used to.

Sunday, church, little work and while I was waiting for the family, I sharpened the last two Pfeil chisels that I got from WC the week before.

They will really come in handy! The rest of the day was spent at my sister's house in Edwardsville, IL. Younger kids had fun with the Easter egg hunt, while us older kids had fun eating and drinking.

and so it goes, Easter weekend '06....

Joe

Got to enjoy a nice Easter dinner wiith the kids.

Got started on my complete shop rearrange hoping for a better working layout shortly down the road.

Pictures when complete.

Sadly, even with the week off due to the kids' spring break, I saw no shop time. A trip to the zoo, a couple swimming sessions at the YMCA (where our chitlins will be spending the summer in camp...), meeting with tree services and excavation contractors relative to a new driveway and other activities were just not conducive to woodworking...and...there was a lot of landscaping work to occupy my "mental health time", including over the weekend when I finally got some plantings and mulching done around the pond and other areas nearby. (Pics below)

Saturday morning we once again met with our architect relative to our proposed home addition and the latest drawings...now 1/4" scale CAD rather than sketches...were nearly bang-on with what we want. The previous week, I had offered an idea to put the master closet in the middle of the upper floor to better facilitate space utilization and window opportunities and the architect jumped all over it. Between that and 2 more feet of width (can't wait to see what that ends up costing...), we were able to get a new dedicated office/study for me "far removed" from the home theater/TV room that now is "right next door". Elevations will get done this week and we'll see how the roof lines tie in, etc...something important to the project, too. I will soon be starting a web-based project documentation site for this (once we figure out if we can afford it...), so stay tuned...

Sunday, we hid some candy in the gardens for the girls to find...and eat...which they did. Fortunately, they did share a piece or two with us.

With any luck, I may get into the shop next weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Most importantly, I did not go to the ER this weekend. I did pick up the chisel of death, but I kept my left hand far, far away (in another thread I mentioned my two trips in two weeks due to my left hand and the business end of a chisel meeting abuptly). I had 4 days off and I did something in the shop each day--mostly with a brush and polyurathane though, so I kept the saw dust makin' down until Sunday.
    Installed window trim (finally) that I cut a year ago and just got around to finishing. I cut, routed, sanded and BLO'd the last pieces that go under the sill. This will be a project two years in the making and I will be glad to get the monkey off my back so I can start new projects without the guilt (mostly self inflicted and a little wife-inflicted). Finished a folding table in the shop that contributed to my last trip to the ER which allowed me to let stuff dry in the garage while I made a little dust. I also put the last coat of poly on a desk top (related to 1st ER trip) that I will probably end up building file cabinets for, since the ones I saw at WalMart were just too ugly to use. that will also give my wife something to be happy about, since it will be The Place for Bills and Important Papers that otherwise get lost. The desktop is some red oak plywood trimmed in walnut and looks pretty nice.
    Bought some thin pieces of bloodwood on That Internet Auction Site for a project for me--a case for my iPod Shuffle. Might make more than one as I work on the design. Yellowheart or ebony should set off the bloodwood quite nicely.
    It is already summer in SE NM. I have a cheap fluorescent fixture that won't work when it is too cold or when it is too hot. This weekend it was too hot. Already. I'm not ready.
    Bb