Thread: Torsion Box

Torsion Box

My assembly table is on the small side -- 3 1/2' x 5 1/2 '. I would like to make an extension on the long side and planning to construct it utilizing the torsion box method.

Becasue of space limitations, I would like this extension -- 3 1/2' x 2'-- to be able to fold down alongside the existing table when I don't need the extra length.

Question is how do I support it when raised. I'd prefer not to use legs (floor to the table). I'm thinking of two triangular brackets that would be hinged attached to the existing table. Fold them out when needed. fold them back against the exisitng table when not in use.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Your Idea Will Work But Only Partly

BUT -
    before you engineer this extension, there's a question you should ask yourself:
    - are you going to lose a useful clamping surface with the extension hanging off one side?
    - does your benchtop extend beyond its base?
    - how often do you use that overhang to clamp things for your projects?

N.B. -
    If you still want to go with this idea, your bench will want to tip over the ONE TIME you've got a large, heavy, awkward piece positioned just a little too far over on the bench's folding extension.

Take a look at LV part number 00T16.01 - folding Leg Brackets.

As you're pulling your extension up, just reach under and pull one leg down.
    Walk to the other end.
    Repeat.

Voila.
    Now you've got support out at the extreme ends.
    Which is really where you need it.
    Which is where you'll be safest.

Doing it this way also allows you to use regular hardware store hinges or a piano hinge.
    Either of these is much cheaper than the folding hinges you're asking about.

HTH
    Howard

BTW - Just remember to make the legs short to use leg levellers to even up the extension relative to your bench
    FWIW -
    - I make my own leg levellers using a 1/4-20 3" bolt in the bottom of each leg
    - drill a 1 3/8" hole across the leg and then cross drill a 3/8" hole UP the leg
    - position washers and nylon-lined nuts over the vertical holes above and below the horizontal hole
    - thread the bolt through this whole arrangement of nuts and washersand up into the leg for strength
    - when I've got it close, I adjust the final height using a pair of crescent wrenches

Voila.
    Leg levellers for less than 40 cents each.
    Last edited by Howard Rosenberg; 04-17-2006 at 10:55 PM.
    Howard Rosenberg

I used these from WWS of NM for a 36" x 30" wing on a desk. Pretty rugged.
    Only the Blue Roads

Thanks Howard

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Rosenberg
    BUT -
    before you engineer this extension, there's a question you should ask yourself:
    - are you going to lose a useful clamping surface with the extension hanging off one side?
    - does your benchtop extend beyond its base?
    - how often do you use that overhang to clamp things for your projects?

N.B. -
    If you still want to go with this idea, your bench will want to tip over the ONE TIME you've got a large, heavy, awkward piece positioned just a little too far over on the bench's folding extension.

Take a look at LV part number 00T16.01 - folding Leg Brackets.

As you're pulling your extension up, just reach under and pull one leg down.
    Walk to the other end.
    Repeat.

Voila.
    Now you've got support out at the extreme ends.
    Which is really where you need it.
    Which is where you'll be safest.

Doing it this way also allows you to use regular hardware store hinges or a piano hinge.
    Either of these is much cheaper than the folding hinges you're asking about.

HTH
    Howard

BTW - Just remember to make the legs short to use leg levellers to even up the extension relative to your bench
    FWIW -
    - I make my own leg levellers using a 1/4-20 3" bolt in the bottom of each leg
    - drill a 1 3/8" hole across the leg and then cross drill a 3/8" hole UP the leg
    - position washers and nylon-lined nuts over the vertical holes above and below the horizontal hole
    - thread the bolt through this whole arrangement of nuts and washersand up into the leg for strength
    - when I've got it close, I adjust the final height using a pair of crescent wrenches

Voila.
    Leg levellers for less than 40 cents each.
    Thanks for the advice -- you offered some thoughts I had not considered
    and will take into account.