Thread: Woodcraft shines

Woodcraft shines

I have more praise for Woodcraft stores after this morning's event's. A one month old Freud Combo blade lost a tooth while cutting some antler for a cartridge pen I was making for my nephew's Christmas present last week. I took the blade and receipt to my local Woodcraft store (Franklin, TN), explained what happened, and they exchanged it for a new blade with no questions or problems. They always have excellent service before, during and after the sale. They also have a great selection of tools/materials and friendly staff. Their staff is also a great source of knowledge. This is just one more example of why I buy local when possible. Just thought I would share this with any who might be thinking of that great internet "bargin". I'm pretty sure an exchange would not have been this simple if even possible. Thank your local stores for being there by giving them some business, and they'll take good care of you when you have a problem.
    Travis

Blog Entries
    And to any of you non-Woodcraft Freud users (like me); they are reported to be really good about warranty coverage. I have never used it but have read a few stories where cutters were replaced even though the cause of failure was 'questionable'.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    I have to agree with your comments about Woodcraft. While I can get better prices on-line, I like the staff at my local woodcraft and I try to buy the majority of stuff there (Festool being the BIG exception). Two years ago, when I bought my first Lathe at Woodcraft, I signed up for a intro to turning class. Unfortunately, I was the only person to sign up for the 2 day class, so the normal policy was to cancel the class with a full refund if less than 3 people sign up for it. Instead of cancelling it, the GM called me and asked if I was interested in a 1-on-1, 8 hour session with the instructor and a $xx store credit instead of cancelling the class and refunding the money. He felt bad that he just sold me a new lathe and the class would be cancelled. I jumped at the opportunity and it was the best class I've ever taken.

Like any franchise, there are the good ones and the bad ones. Fortunately for me, the St. Louis Woodcraft is one of the good ones.

Woodcraft

Recently I e-mailed the Woodcraft Tech people about price matching Old Fashioned milk paint. I presented two prices and they agreed to honor the mid point price if I called in the order as they placed a note in my file. My local Woodcraft is 45 minutes away (each way) and with free shipping offers it is hard to justify buying locally especially as I avoid tax receiving it in the mail.

FYI- You can support your local (or not) Woodcraft store by placing your mail order through a store. They get credit for the sale and you get it shipped to your door.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I try to support my local Woodcraft because I like the convenience of a brick and mortar store and I don't want them to go belly-up. My meager purchases alone won't keep them going. But if enough guys like me walk into the store, the collective profits should be a big help. I buy mostly small supplies and accessories, which have a big markup.

Although, my local Woodcraft is inconsistent. Some of the staff members are great and some are clueless. Every time I talk to the manager, he gives me a list of excuses as to why he doesn't have what I need. He won't order a lot of things in fear he won't be able to sell them. Such is the risk of retail.

I think my local Woodcraft is having problems with classes. Each time I visit, someone asks about classes and the manager goes on about how all the classes are being cancelled because nobody or only one person signed up. It guess it's another sign of tough times.

i went to woodcraft several weeks ago looking for help in sharpening a thick skewed plane blade and the owner of the store, mike cunningham, actually helped me find an inexpensive general honing jig which worked like a charm and even called up ron hock for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Malyszko View Post

Like any franchise, there are the good ones and the bad ones. Fortunately for me, the St. Louis Woodcraft is one of the good ones.
    I agree. Pat and I have the same Woodcraft. He likes it a lot more than I do. I only go there when I just have to buy something that only they have locally. My old WC in VA was much better so with these franchises I have found them to be "hit of miss".
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Support local

I try to support my local WC especially when all you see now a days is closeout sales of all kinds of stores. I would hate it if I had to drive the 1:30 to the alternative WC in denver. I have had pretty good experience with the WC in Colorado Springs. When I ordered my bandsaw from steel city through them recently they were great. The first shipping of it they refused because the shippered obviously destroyed it and then the second one Ben the manager came by my house (30min ride)to check the base since it did not stand flat and moved. He called the rep and they are sending another one and will deliver it to my house. So now hopefully the 3rd one will be OK. Not WC fault but SC and the shippers they use and this is there last chance to get it right. Brian is an amazing WW I always take his classes and he does an excellent job, he is also very helpful with any questions and tool selections. That has been my experience so far, not everything is perfect but I do like to support local stores.

Peeter

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Malyszko View Post
    While I can get better prices on-line, I like the staff at my local woodcraft and I try to buy the majority of stuff there (Festool being the BIG exception).
    Tim,

Isn't all Festool pricing the same? If so, why not buy from your favorite dealer?