Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Drum Sanders, Wide Belt Sanders & a few design obervations...

Dev, in your *BLOG* I do believe you are *preaching to the choir* with your rhetorical questioning of this subject.

The differences and capabilities between drum and wide belt sanders are all too obvious to all but the neophyte woodworker. I use an ol' Grizz 24" double drum because it is affordable!! It does an adequate job in the my small scale operation, with small quantity needs. But, if my needs change, (or find a real bargain) I will upgrade, FerSure!!

Is up to YOU alone to decide, Dev! You have presented your researched information very well. Anyone in a solely commercial situation will choose the most productive solution to his need. Large capital expenditures can be amortized. The cost of running the machine is factored in. A 20HP wide belt would really make my meter spin!! The Co-Op I am on might suffer a *brown out!*

My bottom line is, Any wide drum/belt sander is better than NONE! Producing smooth panels is paramount to nice finishing. Nothing else produces a flat surface ready for further finishing in a reasonable amount of time, or outlay of precious $$$, IMHO.

All of us working in a small shop have our *druthers* but find the reality of our present situation cannot support *industrial strength* solutions. There are lots of machines I would love to have if my piggy bank were bottomless! A CNC Router! A complete machine shop to tinker in! A shop the size of Gilley's honkytonk! ...my list goes on....
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

The wixey is a height guage.

The problem with this sander is there is some slop in the height adjustment handle.

The wixey isnt great for telling me actual thickness but its awesome for telling me wether I have just adjusted 1/24th or 1/128th. When sanding wider stuff, its the difference between burning, squealing and re-wrapping drums or just good results..