Thread: Lesson learned the "Hard Way".........PICS

Newmarket Ont. Canada, 30miles north of Toronto

Lesson learned the "Hard Way".........PICS

Hi All,

I learned an important lesson the hard way a long time ago and that is, seal pine before finishing.

These pictures are of a cabinet I built years ago ( I know, the design sucks) to hold VCR tapes and every year or so I have to take the door off, take it to the shop and clean the sap that has oozed through the finish (4 coats of oil based poly). At the time, the material was 7% and it's currently 8% moisture content.

The entire cabinet is 3/4" material and the door was made from 1 1/2" thick material. The door being 20" wide and 40" tall it's a full 1 1/2" at the center and tapers down to 3/4" at each edge.

This is the only pine piece that I've never sealed. The second picture is of the inside of the door, the worst of the bleed through.

Another lesson learned the hard way.

All the best
    Gord
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gord Graff; 08-23-2003 at 3:23 PM.
    A woodworker’s character is what he really is,
    His reputation is merely what others perceive him as……………………Gord Graff

Hi Gord. Yuk.

Pine pitch sets with heat. For instance, if you cook a pine board in a kiln @ 120°, and the board never sees that hot of a temperature again, pitch will never run. However, @ 121°, the pitch will run again. I've never done this test personally, but I heard it from a good source (Dr. Phil Lamb, or perhaps Dr. Gene Wengert... both recognized experts in their field of wood drying and related topics).

Maybe you could stick the doors in your attic for a couple weeks, set the pitch, and never have that hassle again. I'd try it if it were mine.

Newmarket Ont. Canada, 30miles north of Toronto
    Hi Todd,

The attic thingy sounds like a great idea and I'll give it a try. I've got some nice looking 8/4 Pine though and it's just begging to be made into another door for this piece.

Of course, I'll seal "this door" before finishing. Thanks again.

All the best
    Gord
    A woodworker’s character is what he really is,
    His reputation is merely what others perceive him as……………………Gord Graff