View Poll Results: After doing some turning, do you get numb hands?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, all the time

1 1.41%
  • Yes, but only sometimes.

11 15.49%
  • Seldom

5 7.04%
  • Not very often at all.

4 5.63%
  • Almost never.

4 5.63%
  • Nope, no problems here!!

46 64.79%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Numb Hands.......?

1. Numb Hands.......?

I've recently been told that a lot of turners get numb hands after a turning session, specifically the next morning when they wake up.

I've not done a lot of turning, but I've not had this experiance. As there is a large group of turners here, from all ages and even both genders, I'd be really interested to hear if anyone has had this problem and what they have done to overcome it, if anything.

Cheers!

A couple years ago, I got injured with a pinched nerve in my neck that numbed my arms and hands. It still flares up from time to time....Like a couple weeks ago. I found that it actually goes away when I Turn. Vortexatherapy??
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Being an absolute rookie....numb hands are not a problem yet.............empty billfold.........now that's another problem........don't start a poll on that!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Yes, but only from a sensitivity to mesquite. I tried mesquite again last night (mothers day present) but wearing gloves. I still got just a little numbness in one arm, I think some shavings got inside one glove. Tonight I'll try long sleeves and better gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    Being an absolute rookie....numb hands are not a problem yet.............empty billfold.........now that's another problem........don't start a poll on that!
    Boy, that's one of the great truths of life.

Getting back on subject. I have "Osteoarthritis" in my fingers, and have to take Mobic for it. I guess my body is cashing the checks i wrote when I was young. I was in the Navy, and I spent long hours inside damp boilers, welding, grinding, etc.
    If I turn for an extended period the vibration aggravates my finger joints.
    So I turn for a bit, have a cup of coffee, and admire the fact the bowl is still in the chuck (most of the time)
    Then turn a little more. Sharpen my tools, turn a little more, and so forth.
    Last edited by Jim Davenport; 04-18-2006 at 9:56 AM.
    Jim Davenport
    Reporting from the depths of the Magic Garage

I have some problems with my hands from nerve damage to my
    neck, but as John says turning actually helps, except this
    morning I woke up and I was complaining to my wife about
    my hands hurting and she responded No Wonder! You turned
    3 bowls & a hollow form in your sleep last night! .

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Davenport
    So I turn for a bit, have a cup of coffee, and admire the fact the bowl is still in the chuck (most of the time)
    Then turn a little more. Sharpen my tools, turn a little more, and so forth.
    I shouldn't read things like that when I'm getting ready to walk out the door and head to work. Makes me want to call in sick, maybe tell them I have to go in for an emergency woodenectomy. I guess I could tell them I have a bad case of numb hands too. But they'd think it was progressing from my already serious case of numb skull.

I don't get numb hands very often but have had them get stiff and sore after turning when it's cold in the garage.

I used to have a problem after turning hollow forms with hand-held tools, but it all went away when I went to the captive system. (Jamison in my case) Since taking David Ellsworth's three day course, I don't put a "death grip" on my gouge, either, when turning bowls and the outsides of vessels, so no problems there, either.

It's how you hold 'em that makes a difference...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My hands, my feet, and my head are numb just about all the time. Hands and feet feel better once I fire up the lathe. Have yet to find anything that will improve the condition upstairs.
    Only the Blue Roads

Interesting question Stu. Never really thought about it until now. I have Carpel Tunnel and my hands stay numb (asleep) most of the time. After 5 minutes on the computer pushing the mouse around my hands numb. Go to bed had hands go numb. I've just learned to "suck it up". Now when I turn, you would think it would be bad, but after you made me think about it, it actually improves. Theraputic, I guess. Anyway thats what I'm going to start telling my wife. You know, Doctors orders.............
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

11. Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    My hands, my feet, and my head are numb just about all the time. Hands and feet feel better once I fire up the lathe. Have yet to find anything that will improve the condition upstairs.
    I thought double fudge, raspberry, triple cream, Kahlua, with nuts would just about clear any head...?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Burns
    Interesting question Stu. Never really thought about it until now. I have Carpel Tunnel and my hands stay numb (asleep) most of the time. After 5 minutes on the computer pushing the mouse around my hands numb. Go to bed had hands go numb. I've just learned to "suck it up". Now when I turn, you would think it would be bad, but after you made me think about it, it actually improves. Theraputic, I guess. Anyway thats what I'm going to start telling my wife. You know, Doctors orders.............
    Have Chris Barton write you a prescription!!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

13. Quote Originally Posted by Keith Burns
    Keith, have you looked at getting the knife work done?

I know some motorcycle racer guys who have had it done, and they say the diff is amazing, they only regret they did not do it sooner.

Cheers!

Woodenectomy? Sounds painful.

Nope, no numb hands but when the temperature drops below 40 degrees or so I find the finger on my left hand that is in contact with the cold metal tool rest and holding the metal blade does go numb.

Nothing a hot coffee doesn't cure!
    Dave Fried

Speak softly and carry a large bonker.