Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Making a zero clearance insert for a Delta TS350

Help Making a zero clearance insert for a Delta TS350

I have a delta ts350 and i was trying to make a zero clearance table insert (since i am trying to make some splines for a steamer trunk). unfortunately the insert in the table is kinda wierd. The a is a little groove all around the top that is like 1/8 x 1/8, plus the area that the screws attach is like 3/8 deep versus the nice 1/2 on some saws. Anyone have any suggestions/recommnedations/experience with making one of these things?
    Last edited by Jacob Snow; 04-19-2006 at 12:17 PM.

I've made zero clearance inserts in the past by rough-cutting the workpiece to just a little larger than the manufacturer's insert, then clamping the manufacturer's insert to the workpiece and using a router with a pilot (flush trim) bit. Then on the TS I cut the kerf for the splitter. If you have a planer, you can plane your stock down to the appropriate thickness. For the leveling screws, use threaded inserts.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Mark Pruitt
    I've made zero clearance inserts in the past by rough-cutting the workpiece to just a little larger than the manufacturer's insert, then clamping the manufacturer's insert to the workpiece and using a router with a pilot (flush trim) bit. Then on the TS I cut the kerf for the splitter. If you have a planer, you can plane your stock down to the appropriate thickness. For the leveling screws, use threaded inserts.
    That is just about what I did, but I used double sided tape.

Jacob, I'm not familar with your insert, do you have a pic of it?

Cheers!

PS, I used solid wood, not plywood to do this.

When i get home i will post a picture. The insert is not a standard one, unfortunately. So i am a little unsure on how to make it so it fits right... I was looking for anyone that has experience with this saw or any of the delta bench top models. This isn't a benchtop model, but it isn't quite a contractor saw either. It is kind of in the middle. Anyone out there have the TS350?
    Last edited by Jacob Snow; 04-19-2006 at 12:08 PM.

Since the lip is so thin, wood woudnt work for me. I used bondo sanded flush and the used spot filler to smooth it out. I then put my circular saw blade on the arbor and plunged it up through the insert.

I am not following your process? did you use wood at all or did you just use the insert that came with the table and just bondo the current opening? Plus have you made a dado insert?

7. OK, now I feel your pain

Attachment 36827

I snatched this from the online manual.

The insert is a thin stamped metal thing, yes?

What I'd do is make a piece of wood that is larger than the opening, overlap as much as you can without hitting anything that would stop you from keeping the steel insert flush.

I'd then mark the hole on the wood, and either make a thin insert that would be glued on top of the piece underneath, or route around the line you marked on the piece underneath.

Does that make sense?

I thought that Delta sold plastic inserts for this saw, maybe I'm thinking of something else.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan; 11-24-2006 at 4:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Snow
    I have a delta ts350 and i was trying to make a zero clearance table insert (since i am trying to make some splines for a steamer trunk). unfortunately the insert in the table is kinda wierd. The a is a little groove all around the top that is like 1/8 x 1/8, plus the area that the screws attach is like 3/8 deep versus the nice 1/2 on some saws. Anyone have any suggestions/recommnedations/experience with making one of these things?
    I used to have an older version of your saw. I was able to make zci's by using the plate as a guide for a flush trim bit. Cut the wood to a close size, then trim with the flush bit in a router table. Next insert a straight bit with a fence, or a rabbeting bit, and rabbet the edge of the underside of the zci. Finally clear out the additional area with a straight bit (see picture).

It's been a few years since I did this, and I no longer own the saw, so I can't help you with dimensions. But it worked perfect.

Tim

edit - BTW, this picture is from another woodworker who showed me how to make one. Mine was very similar, but I don't have pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tim Burke; 04-19-2006 at 4:59 PM.

i will give that a try when i get home, whats the big hole you have in your insert? when you route around the edge how you keep the little lip from breaking on the router?

i will give that a try when i get home, whats the big hole you have in your insert? when you route around the edge how you keep the little lip from breaking on the router?
    The hole is a finger hole for removing the plate.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by little lip, but if you are referring to the 1/8" lip, I didn't have any problem. I used a straight bit and a fence. I don't remember exactly, but I'm sure I rabbeted it in several passes. Mine was made out of oak plywood and lasted for several years until I got rid of the saw.

Tim

edit: whoops, I spent so long typing up that reply that there was time for new 3 posts in between!

I've only played with the demo model at lowes, so I can't speak from experience. But I have a TS350 coming within a few days myself and was planning on using a 1/4" thick piece of polycarbonite (maybe oak?) with a 1/8" rabbet milled around the edge to allow for the lip. Is there any reason you wouldn't think that would work?

The really tricky thing that I'm trying to figure out is adding a splitter. The factory splitter/blade guard on these look to be garbage and I wasn't even considering mounting them.

Thanks (and hello to everyone)
    mike

the splitter isn't bad.

the splitter isn't bad.
    Hrmmm I've had a lot of bad luck with splitters like that on my current jobsite saw. Aligned perfectly one minute, jamming against the wood the next. The one I inspected at lowes was a little beefier than mine, but I'm not too confident it will hold up reliably.

But what do I know, I don't even have the thing yet (shippers are due friday morning, not bad for an order placed w/amazon on sunday night!)

no kidding mine took like 3 weeks from amazon.

15. Welcome Mike, and congrats on the new saw.

I got rid of the guard on my DeWalt BT744, but I kept the splitter part, I don't use it all the time, but on some cuts, it stays on the saw for sure.

Jacob, looks like you got what you need, when you make up an insert, please post pics!

Cheers!