Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Jet Mini Lathes $189

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

New Jet Mini Lathes $189

I have asked Rick Warren (Owner of General Industrial Supply) to let me know whenever there may be upcoming sales on products so I could pass that information along to our members.

Rick called me this morning and said Jet will be offering their distributors reduced prices on the Jet Mini Lathe.

Rick will be selling the Mini for $189.00. Orders can be placed now and units will ship in October.

Just an assumption on my part: Supplies may be limited so if you are in the market for a good mini, I suggest you order soon just in case.

You can get more info by calling Rick at GIS (1-800-371-2220).

I have no affiliation with GIS -
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Ken,

Just got off the phone with GIS. The guy on the other end did not know of any sale on the JET Mini Lathe, still selling at $330.00. He did say that updates to pricing comes out on Mondays. Maybe I jumped the gun a little, have to call again this afternoon.

Thanks for the heads up. I have been considering a JET Mini and at this price it is too good to pass up.

Any recommendations on a good set of knives to get started with for turning pens, bowls, etc?
    "The idea that "violence doesn't solve anything" is a historically untrue and immoral doctrine. Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. People that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Leonard
    Ken,

Just got off the phone with GIS. The guy on the other end did not know of any sale on the JET Mini Lathe, still selling at $330.00. He did say that updates to pricing comes out on Mondays. Maybe I jumped the gun a little, have to call again this afternoon.
    You need to ask for Rick Warren - tell him I told you to call him directly
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Just talked with Rick Warren and ordered the Mini Lathe and the Benchtop OSS; it is going an sale as well. He is going to call me back with pricing on a few other items. Since the boss gave me the go ahead to purchase some new tools, this could not have come at a better time.
    The only thing better than buying new tools is saving money on new tools. Now I need to educate myself on using the lathe and find some shop space for it.

Thanks again Ken
    "The idea that "violence doesn't solve anything" is a historically untrue and immoral doctrine. Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. People that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Salisbury
    You need to ask for Rick Warren - tell him I told you to call him directly
    You couldn't have asked him this question a week ago could you. grrrrrrrr

Noah

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Alkinburgh
    You couldn't have asked him this question a week ago could you. grrrrrrrr

Noah
    Sorry Noah - he didn't know about the reduced price last week either

Doo Doo Happens !!

OSS, Delta vs Jet

I was looking at getting a benchtop OSS...

Any comments on Delta vs. the Jet?

I think the Jet tilts to 45 degrees, which I don't think the Delta does, but it seemed like the Delta came with a 3 inch spindle, and I think the Jet does not, but you can buy one for more money. I will need a 3 inch spindle.

So, if the Jet Benchtop OSS is going on a super good sale, is it worth getting? Or is the Delta a better deal at any price?

I would appreciate any one who has either of these tools to comment.

Thanks,
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Shupe
    I was looking at getting a benchtop OSS...

So, if the Jet Benchtop OSS is going on a super good sale, is it worth getting? Or is the Delta a better deal at any price?

I would appreciate any one who has either of these tools to comment.

Thanks,
    Martin -- I just got off of the phone with GIS - They have 7 more Jet products with super reduced prices -- I will be posting that information some time today. The BenchtopOSS is one of them $289.00. Give Rick a call.

Thanks Ken

Thanks for the tip Ken. Had been considering the Jet mini as an upgrade from my craftsman, so how can I not at that price? My 12 year old and I primarily turn a few pens and calls. I always said I'd sell the craftsman to upgrade but with him having a growing addiction I guess I'll have to keep it so we don't fuss over who's turning tonight.
    Hal

Thumbs up

Let me just tell you that you should have no fear in purchasing from GIS. They are a class act. I just got off the phone with Rick and he wanted to let me know that he would honor this price even though I had just purchased and taken delivery of the lathe. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don' know many people or companies that are that concerned about a customer. I mean these guys sell multi thousand dollar pieces of equipment and Rick was concerned about a couple hundred dollar purchase.

Thanks to Rick and also to Ken...now I can buy more stuff with the money

I'll say it again GIS is a class act operation.

Noah -- a very satisfied customer

Ken

Thanks a bunch for the tip. I called at 8:05 this morning and talked to Larry. Rick wasn't in yet and Larry didn't know about the lower price, but said if Ken says so then ok i'll take your name. Nuff said. Got one reserved and it has my wife's name on it. Are you coming to Terry's next week? If you are we will take some lessons.

Terry

Shipping charges?

What about shipping charges? Can it be shipped UPS?
    Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Quiram
    Ken

Are you coming to Terry's next week? If you are we will take some lessons.
    Terry
    Yes Terry I will be at the BBQ. I am looking forward to seeing you again.

Good to see you are spending my money Terry! I have been checking out the Jet Mini Lathe, and it looks like a great little machine. I am interested in small turnings too, Pens and the other neat little things you can do with the Mini Lathe. After some discussion, and the interest Angie, my wife, has in possibly learning to turn a few things, we have decided to get the Mini also. She will be calling General in the morning, and getting it on order. She is buying the Mini, but she said I can use it anytime I want. It will be COOL to finally get my wife interested in Woodworking.................I think!

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Holt
    What about shipping charges? Can it be shipped UPS?
    Dick
    From what I know about GIS they usually ship by common carrier. they usually check around with various carriers to get the best rate to your destination. You can call them and get more details.