Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silver Maple Fruit Bowl

Silver Maple Fruit Bowl

Hi Everyone,

Here is a Silver Maple Fruit Bowl I turned for my Mom as a Mother's Day gift. The wood for this bowl came from a tree her and my Dad planted at their house about 35 years ago. Shortly after he passed away, the tree was deemed a danger to the house and had to be cut down. But I managed to save a couple of choice pieces. Some I made into pens. These I presented to my family 2 years ago at Xmas. The big pieces were roughed out into large bowls and allowed to air dry for several years (yes,....years). This was before I really got into alcohol soaking.

Unless it's spalted, Silver maple normally tends to pretty bland. But this wood was surprisingly figured. As you can see from the overhead shot, it even had a trace of Ambrosia Maple going on.

I posted a question several weeks ago on WoodCentral in which I asked about a "food safe" way to seal end grain. Silver Maple is soft-ish and tends to give me problems with end grain tear-out. Normally I stiffen the fibers with a 50/50 mix of Varnish and Mineral spirits and wet sand. Since this was originally destined to be a salad bowl, I wanted something that would not be picked up by the food.

Russ Fairfield from WoodCentral directed me towards using a 50/50 mix of varnish and a turpentine (which I have been informed, is not quite as bad as mineral spirits). It was later that I learned that just about any finish that is allowed to cure is deemed "food safe". However, due to a good amount of worm holes, and a couple voids I needed to fill with CA glue, this bowl is now destined to hold fruit and not salad.

Overall it worked pretty well. The mix stiffened the end grain nicely and allowed me to get a ultra smooth surface. However, I found that the punky end grain had a habit of hiding until after I had finished. Only after I let it sit for a day would I again find evidence of tear out. Luckily, a few minutes work with some sandpaper took care of it.

Since this was a gift for my Mom, I took some time to add some design elements to this bowl. I added a textured area bordered on each side by a beads. Each bead had a burned ring to "set it off". I also echoed this design on the base. I used Sorby's Texturing tool with the fine toothed wheel for the ribbed texture.

Specs:
    Outer dia.: 15 1/4"
    Height: 5"
    Wall thickness: 3/8"
    Base dia.: 4"
    Sanding Method: Wet sanded to 1200 grit
    Finish: (3) coats of Watco's Danish Oil
    Final: Renaissance Wax

Thanks for viewing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dominic Greco

Well well I was wondering this week where you had wandered off to and you return with a beauty like this. Dom this would make anyone proud to receive such a bowl especially your mother. I like your treatment of the bead with the burn highlights, and the curve is perfect.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Dominic that bowl is beautiful. I love the form and finish on it. Your mother is going to love it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Dominic..........I said it before.........Beautiful wood.........Great attention to form and detail.........Gorgeous! I hope you don't have that patented...I'm going to steal some ideas from you!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Yep...That's not a bland piece of Silver Maple. Lots of character for sure!! I also like the bead work and the shape. Nicely done and a wonderful gift full of memories. Well done Dominic.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

That's a stunning piece and I especially like the beading and texture! Great work!

Domonic, this bowl is perfect ! Everything I see I like, the form, the details, the finish, just great!
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

8. All round really nice, nice bowl, nice wood, nice form, nice accents, and one heck of a nice present.

Nice story too!

GREAT job!!

Great form and finish! Love the side & bottom details!

Real Nice, Dom! Real Nice!

You've still got it!!!

Great form, great Job!
    Wood is Good!
    Greetings from The Green Mountain State!

Kurt

Domonic that looks great! Love the details. Your Mom will love it.
    Sparky Paessler

Lotsa class in that one Dom. Well done.
    Only the Blue Roads

13. A very nice bowl, for sure! I bet your mom was very, very pleased. Congrats!

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

Thanks for the compliments everyone! I really appreciate the positive feedback.

Later,
    Dominic
    Dominic Greco

That's a beautiful bowl and a great story to go with it. Every mother should have such a great son!