Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For what it's worth - Pens

For what it's worth - Pens

I was watching the Science Channel last night and they have a program called "How it's Made". A show that showcases various manufacturing processes. Pretty cool usually.

Anyway, they showcased a guy who turns pens by hand and I was interested in a couple techniques he used that I thought I'd share.

1. Gluing the tubes in. He used poly glue, but he brushed water into the blank, then put the glue on the tube and inserted it. He claimed that the water helped the glue to distribute throughout the hole better. It was ready to turn in one hour.

2. He used four coats of poly floor finish. He claimed longevity. They looked nice too.

3. He used a beading tool (just didn't go deep) to make equi-distant grooves in the pen, then used a piece of cherry to burn the inside of the grooves. Looked nice.

4. He didn't use a pen press. Just put some CA at the joins and hammered the parts together with a soft mallet.

Anyway....just thought I share these little tidbits in case anyone is interested.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Very interesting John. I have always enjoyed that show. I could understand this fellows choice of poly for the tubes (I have used urethane glue and water in my "production runs" of pens). And, a urethane finish makes sense too. I have seen burning done with a wire and I have grooved some pen bodies but, I always use a skew.

Very interesting John. I missed it but was hoping they may show it again. Floor poly sounds interesting.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Poly glue is moisture cured...it's "normal" to wet one side of the joint and apply the glue to the other.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Poly glue is moisture cured...it's "normal" to wet one side of the joint and apply the glue to the other.
    Ya know....no one has ever told me that Jim. I need to give my gorilla glue another shot....I really didn't like it and maybe this is the reason why. Thanks
    ~john

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    Ya know....no one has ever told me that Jim. I need to give my gorilla glue another shot....I really didn't like it and maybe this is the reason why. Thanks

One way to get good bond with poly glue is to mist or brush the glue surfaces with water a few minutes before applying the glue. This does two things it opens up the wood pores and adds mosture to cure the glue. Use sufficient clamp pressure to force the glue into the wood pores and make a tight joint. Poly glue will fill gaps but it does so by foaming, the foam has little or no strength a tight joint with no gaps is best.

Its common when using biscuits, with poly glue, to dip them in water or brush the joint with water right before putting them in the slots.

Scott Pearson

I use Gorilla glue on pens. I hold the blank under the faucet and run water through the hole. Seems to work. I always let them dry overnight.

I do put a drop of CA on the end plug of the pen so using the pocket clip won't pull it off.

I do use a pen press. I bought it when I didn't have a vise and hadn't turned a bonker yet!
    Dave Fried

Speak softly and carry a large bonker.

8. Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    Geez Mr. Hart, it says so right on the bottle!

Gorilla Glue is ALL I've ever used to glue in tubes. I run a wet Q-Tip through the blank and drip a little spiral of glue on the tube and twist while inserting to spread it around well. I've never had a glue failure < knocking wood > yet.

It does state on the bottle to dampen the wood to be joined before applying the glue. I've noticed the joints in edge gluing have worked better if I dampen only 1 side of the joint, not sure why, but that's my observation. I haven't used a biscuit in these joints.
    Wood is Good!
    Greetings from The Green Mountain State!

Kurt

I have used both epoxy and gorrilla glue. I use expoxy for oily woods and the gorilla glue for non oily woods, only once i had an epoxy glue failure, and that was my fault.

Jeremiah.
    My brain hurts!

I have just started using gorilla glue on pens and it works extremely well by wetting the blank and glue on the brass piece. I use it also to glue the turnings where I use different woods. I does well there also. Kurt I have used it on biscuit joints also. I wet the main wood and put the glue on the biscuit.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
    Geez Mr. Hart, it says so right on the bottle!
    Oh sure....Read the Instructions....Sheesh!
    ~john

I've used the poly glue several times, works great cept I don't like
    to wait a day to finish the pens.
    Bernie! aint no Biscuit talk allowed in here!!
    Last edited by Mike Ramsey; 04-20-2006 at 3:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ramsey
    I've used the poly glue several times, works great cept I don't like
    to wait a day to finish the pens.
    Bernie! aint no Biscuit talk allowed in here!!
    Carole's allowed to talk about her bisquits!!! 'course then, she bakes those for Turners!
    ~john

Very interesting, John. The only thing I would caution is using WATER in the hole of the pen. I did this and took a little time inserting the tube and OOPS.............. the wood swelled up and the tube wouldn't fit. Swapped what went where and it worked perfectly. Glue on the inside of the blank with a Q-tip and dunk the tube in water. Still messy...................the expansion of the glue fills the end of the tube and must be cleaned out good.

Just my experience, but that's why I use mostly CA.

Bruce