Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you turn and more importantly, what do you turn it on?

What do you turn and more importantly, what do you turn it on?

I am interested in knowing what you all are turning on and the types of things that you turn. Im still trying to decide how to get into this end of woodworking.

Thanks for any and all replies.
    Jason Morgan

I have 2 lathes my starter and still use it some Jet Mini and my primary lathe the PM 3520.
    I turn lots of stuff here are a few:
    Bowls
    Natural Edge bowls
    Natural Edge Winged Bowls
    Platters
    Hollow Forms
    Pens
    Goblets
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

Umm, a chance to show off? Well I don't have much to show off as for turning but I am proud of my lathe. I searched out an old J-Line/Broadhead Garret lathe. Around 550-600 lbs of cast iron stability. 3 phase motor so I could add the Variable Frequency Drive (gives me variable speed). It has a 12" swing but also has outboard turning capabilities. I saw a similar lathe were the fellow had designed and built an outboard stand and I knew this was the lathe for me.

I do some spindle work, love turning CHRISTmas ornaments but primarily I am a bowl turner. Here is one of my favorites.

Jason.......I got pushed into turning about 8 weeks ago. I have a Jet VS Mini........So far I've turned a couple of bonkers, spindles, goblets, boxes and a couple of bowls. I've enjoyed turning them all and have become addicted!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I have a PM 3520A lathe and I turn bowls, platters, pens, and goblets. I'm fixing to start turning hollow forms.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I have a Nova DVR and turn a lot of pens and hollowforms. I am on a vase kick right now, including useable vases with PVC inserts so they will hold water. I also like doing the ocasional bowl out of really unique pieces, the more voids and defects, the better. I turn something just about every day, even if it is just a pen.
    Curtis O. Seebeck
    Need Cactus Juice?

7. PM3520A for me... bowls, platters, boxes, HFs, candlesticks and firewood....

I'm another rookie with a Jet mini VS. I turn mostly mulch, some shrapnel, and a lot of kindling along with the occasional semi-decent pen, bottlestopper, goblet, bonker, and bowl shaped thingies.......
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

jason, i turn on a minimax t-124, mostly furniture componants, occasionally stair parts. for me it`s work not pleasure, if i live to be old enough to retire i`ll probably get the big white monster to play with..02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

I use a Craftsman PWM-driven VS, 15" 2HP lathe and turn whatever suits me at the moment. My favorite is vases and other hollowforms, but I also do pens, bowls, platters, handles, doohickies.....and 4 to 5 tons of mulch and firewood. (You're not alone Barry )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John Hart; 04-21-2006 at 1:57 PM.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I use a Jet Mini and have successfully turned a bunch of Freedom Pens, a few bowls and a baby rattle.

I still have a few more Freedom Pen kits to turn and a stack of wood just waiting to give up a few bowl blanks.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

I'm running on White Iron and pretty much exclusively turn only wood.
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    I'm running on White Iron and pretty much exclusively turn only wood.
    You turn wood???!! You are such a rebel.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Watch out, John. I've also been known to turn heads
    Only the Blue Roads

This is Ken in Idaho just shaking his head.....(that's a repetitive partial turning of a head)
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....