Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Curly Cherry Wine Cabinet (*Pics*)(Verbose)

Curly Cherry Wine Cabinet (*Pics*)(Verbose)

Here is a wine cabinet that I started the beginning of March. It's taken a lot longer than I wanted, but it's finished... for the most part. I have to spray it yet (it only has a coat of BLO right now) and I have to install the ball hinges.

The lumber: I found it laying in a stack and paid the normal $5 something a bf. I believe the door panels are from the same board as the top, but I cannot be sure. The front legs have the qs grain showing and were opened up/book-matched so that they would mirror each other. The side panels are mildly figured, but they lose out to the top.

The hardware: All the brass is from Horton's - the best hinges that you'll find IMHO. You'll pay for them, but they're outstanding!

The drawers: I dovetailed them using a Leigh D4. They have 1/2" bottoms, beveled to fit the 1/4" groove.

Wine Rack: I left them so that they can be removed if I want them out. I'm not sold on the setup yet. Time will tell. The space between them is meant for bigger bottles.

The wine tags: I made 20 of them out of curly maple. I haven't sprayed them yet, but I plan to use them to identify the hard to read bottles by using a dry erase marker. The year goes on the tab and the variety/brand goes on the bottom.

Diminished Wine Supply: Yea, I only have one bottle of White Zin to my shame I threw a couple empties in there for effect. I just got back from Chicago where my wife and I brought 19 bottles for our friends!!! I need to fill er' with some Cab and Zin in the next few days.

Thanks: Thanks to Gail for her help with the wine rack dimensions and everyone else who encouraged me not to hack up my other figured cherry for the back panels. What was I thinking?

Thanks! Jason
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jason Tuinstra; 04-21-2006 at 3:18 AM.

Yet more pics!!! When will it stop?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh boy, I get to be the first to say Drop Dead Gorgeous. Beautiful job, great selection of wood, lovely design. I like the fact that the curly wood was used for the panels, drawers, and top, with "calmer" stuff for the rails and stiles, gives the eye a place to rest, makes the curls stand out more by comparison.

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Forman; 04-21-2006 at 4:16 AM.
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Simply fantastic, but I didn't even have to open the post to know it would be!

Congrats on another fine project!
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

nice work jason!
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Beautious Piece Jason!!!

YOU DA SHAKER MAN JASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is yet another fine example of your level of workmanship. Outstanding job Jason!!!!!!!!! Your work truly inspires me. Keep'em coming dude!

David

7. Jason, that is unreal, what a nice job, you sure did yourself proud there, boy that is a family heirloom for sure.

I bet you did, but make sure you sign and date the fine piece of work, as I'm sure long after you are gone, that is going to be one valued piece of work.

Super duper!

As a purveyor of fine wine, I can tell you, that I'd be more than proud to have my bottles of Romanee Conti, Opus One, and Mouton Rothschild residing in there!

Super!!

Janson, that is just a lovely piece. Thanks for sharing it.

As I have come to expect from you Jason, SIMPLY FANTASTIC, and yet I'm still in awe of your talent.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

10. That sure did turn out beautifully. Gotta love figured cherry and you gotta love fine craftmanship both of which are abundant in this piece of work.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

the piece looks really pretty good. I normally don't like curly cherry pieces, but you have managed to make all the various elements of design and the figure of the wood work very well. How did you go about photographing the piece? the photos really are very good.

Lou

Jason,
    Wonderful wood, masterfully worked!
    Frank

That's just plain UGLY! Send it to me immediately, and I'll see to it that it never gets seen in public again.

Gorgeous work. I love it!

Beautiful wine cabinet, Jason.......and it occurred to me that if one were to consume enough of its contents, the cherry might appear even more curly!

To use the vernacular of the younger generation, AWESOME!

Is there an opening or slot on the sides or is it a shadow in the pics? It looks like slots to me. They are a very attractive design feature.

Well done!