Thread: How to build an Air Filtration System??

How to build an Air Filtration System??

I have a motor and fan from an a/c unit. I would like to build a air filtration system for my shop to try to filter out those fine particles from the air. Can anyone tell me where I can get some ideas to build one of these? The motor is 110v and the fan is one of those squirrel cage type. Also if there are any electrical gurus out there... please let me know if I could put one of those speed controls for a ceiling fan on this motor so I could control the speed of it.

thanks for the help guys

keith
    Last edited by Keith Webster; 04-21-2006 at 2:23 PM. Reason: miss spell
    The Beach Bum Woodworker

Keith,

Drop me an email message at hoa_dinh@sbcglobal.net. I happen to have a copy of a simple plan to send you. It may give you some ideas.

-- Hoa

Keith do not try to use a fan speed control for the squirrel cage motor, it will not work. Most if not all of the fans from a/c units are split phase motors and are of either one speed or have been originally wired for two or three speeds via a switch.
    Keith M

Keith is absolutely correct!
    Jim

Here's a link to the downdraft table I made. This is for sanding but I leave it on to clean up the air in the shop whenever I'm doing a lot of machining. PM me if you have any questions. It was a very easy project.

...Jim in Idaho

http://myweb.cableone.net/jimnbeck/downdraft.htm

There was a post here within the last month or so showing a home built rig that one of the members built with some drawings and dimensions. It looked like a pretty nice design. Sorry, I don't remember who made the post. You can try the search function or perhaps the original author will see this and post a link to the message.

Hello Keith, nice town you live in there. Here's a link to a prior posting similar to one I built. http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=16883

Af

Not a great picture but it shows the size compared to a DC unit. Whole house blowers really put the air out so plan ahead for the 'jet" stream I use 25x25 filters in the unit. 3 normal cheap filters and a Filtrete final. It really grabs the dust out of the air and the air movement is nice in the summer time. Email me if you need any more details, but it was a straight forward box job on wheels.
    Attached Images Attached Images

How effective is the box unit when compared to one hung from the ceiling? I have a motor, squirrel cage to make a unit but the motor is 220 and I would need to run a ceiling plug if I build a hanging one.

Keith,

Check this one out http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32000.

Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Kraft
    Thanks Kyle, I was just about to do a search for that one, and saw that you beat me to it.

You're welcome, Steve! Every once in a while a blind squirrel finds a nut!

Kyle

Here is a link to mine. I think I commented in there on the switch for 3 speeds. If you have any ???'s email me...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=16883
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Thanks guys for all the info....When I get one built I will post some pics on here to help others that may need it.
    The Beach Bum Woodworker