Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hybrid vehicle???

Well, with all the statements about the slower you drive the better your mileage. So, why not fill up the Prius, park it in the garage and watch your mileage climb through the roof.?

Now....what did I do with that extra pair of horseshoes?
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McDonaugh
    Ian, I pull a 12K lb trailer so I need the power 6 liters gives me, but I wish we had more small diesel options like you do in Europe. I'd like a smaller truck with a 3 liter diesel for every day driving.
    There you go Dennis - sounds like you have a vehicle that matches your likely needs. I personally think that's the trick. That's why I drive a box van - many of my journeys are carrying furniture. A smaller van would be more economical but have less utility. If I only carried the furniture thrice a year I would hire a van - on the basis that it's more like thrice a week I sacrifice a bit of economy and gain utility.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    Well, with all the statements about the slower you drive the better your mileage. So, why not fill up the Prius, park it in the garage and watch your mileage climb through the roof.?
    You laugh...but when I'm sitting in stop-and-go traffic, let's say...on the Interstate when there is a raindrop somewhere in the forecast or all the stupid drivers are out on the road at the same time...I get nearly 100 mpg in either the Prius or the Highlander hybrid. The only time the engine runs is when the batteries drop below a certain point or if the AC compressor kicks in....
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    You laugh...but when I'm sitting in stop-and-go traffic, let's say...on the Interstate when there is a raindrop somewhere in the forecast or all the stupid drivers are out on the road at the same time...I get nearly 100 mpg in either the Prius or the Highlander hybrid. The only time the engine runs is when the batteries drop below a certain point or if the AC compressor kicks in....
    Yep, ain't it great to be sitting in traffic thinking about all that $3.00/gal gas you're not burning?

Erin
    For all your days prepare and treat them ever alike. When you are the anvil, bear; When you are the hammer, strike.

In the previous couple of gloats I detect some GLOATING!

I won't tell you that my F-350, 460 ci, 4:10 rearended, 5-speed manual gets 6 mpg in town and 11 on the highway.......That's what it gets empty or towing my 9,000 lb. 5th wheel camper (My wife calls it a camper...I call it a trailer....I have a hard time calling anything with air conditioning and a microwave...a Camper? )....Towing a 3 or 5 horse trailer.......hauling hay.....doesn't matter........6 in and 11 out......
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    In the previous couple of gloats I detect some GLOATING!

I won't tell you that my F-350, 460 ci, 4:10 rearended, 5-speed manual gets 6 mpg in town and 11 on the highway.......That's what it gets empty or towing my 9,000 lb. 5th wheel camper (My wife calls it a camper...I call it a trailer....I have a hard time calling anything with air conditioning and a microwave...a Camper? )....Towing a 3 or 5 horse trailer.......hauling hay.....doesn't matter........6 in and 11 out......
    My last vehicle was a '98 Saturn SL1. It consistently got 40 mpg, and maintenance costs over the 7 years and 85,000 miles I owned it were practically nil: scheduled oil changes, brakes, and that's about it. Nice little car, but it was getting up there in years, so I started early thinking about what I would replace it with. My first thought was to get another Saturn, because that one had been incredibly reliable, but they weren't making a new model that had the EPA ratings that mine had. Seemed they decided to go with more horsepower at the cost of good mileage. I can understand why, 'cause my little 4-cylinder was always a little sluggish climbing hills, but the price of gas had already begun creeping up, and I was looking to improve my gas mileage.

Turns out, the Prius was one of only a few vehicles that would be an improvement for me as far as fuel economy. So far I'm pretty darn pleased with it. 133 miles on the current tank of gas, average mileage 58.8 mpg, mostly highway driving. And not at all sluggish when I need to get up to speed quickly.

Yup, guess that's a gloat!

Erin
    For all your days prepare and treat them ever alike. When you are the anvil, bear; When you are the hammer, strike.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    OK...you got me there, Jim......But I'm trying to figure out what this "stop-n-go" type traffic is.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Ya'll are fuel hogs.

My '98 Ford Exploder consumes (on average) two gallons per week.
    Only the Blue Roads

Erin.........My F-350.....leaves town for a couple of camping trips each summer and fall.........it helps haul hay for an older friend with horses....it hauls lumber and usually moves a couple of kids or friends.....or kids of friends each year. I've had it 11 years now.......bought it used.........Put about $2000 into it in parts and I provided the mechanic knowledge and labor. My youngest son drove it for a year after (1) moving to San Antonio to go to dental school on a extremely good scholarship ...(2) trading the Honda Prelude I gave him for a Ninja motorcycle .....(3) dropping out of dental school ......For a year before going into the Navy it was his work truck......I still have only put about 13,000 miles on it in 11 years. Why?.....mpg.........but.........IF you need a big load towed......it's tough to beat!

My wife's primary vehicle is a 3 year old Honda Accord V-6......33-39 mpg on the highway.........plenty of "zip" for traveling up the surrounding mountains............reasonable gas mileage........

I'm waiting for something that has the high gas or diesel mileage and can pull my 5th wheel trailer too!
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    OK...you got me there, Jim......But I'm trying to figure out what this "stop-n-go" type traffic is.
    Something I rarely see, but will this morning likely as I'm headed to the airport. I'll wave when I fly by. (Having barbecue with Kelly Hanna tonight, however... ) Most of my driving is local since my office is at home and the "commute" is basically choosing front stairs or back...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher
    '

I know a couple of them. That fact doesn't change my thinking. I wouldn't buy a hybrid for the reasons stated. I suspect that those who do get them are dedicated to the technology and or the idea of environmental benefits.
    I am not among either crowd - at least not to the degree that I'll make such an investment or forgoe the benefit of more conventional vehicles.
    Cliff,
    There are indeed those who are dedicated to technology and/or environmental benefits; there are also those of us who are dedicated to containing costs because we are sick of spending mega$$$$ at the pump, due not to lack of resources but to someone's greed. It's not going to get any better. If another Katrina/Rita blows through the Gulf this year (God forbid!!!) we'll be paying over $5 a gallon. It's time to do something about this. That's why I'm seeking information. Like you I have been a little wary of hybrid vehicles in the past. But as Jim has pointed out, they have been around for several years now and seem to have had the major issues resolved.
    Last edited by Mark Pruitt; 04-25-2006 at 8:58 AM.

I own 3 vehicles Ford F150,Lincoln Town Car and an 04 Mustang Cobra. The truck gets 20 mpg on the road 16 in town, the Lincoln gets 28 or so on the road @ 65 mph and 21 in town. The mustang does 14 or so in town and 25 on the hiway under 80 mph. I keep all 3 maintained and keep the tires inflated. I use synthetics in engines transmissions and rear ends. I like my cars just fine.Please buy those battery haulin fire hazards. I need the fuel. None of these vehicles are "sluggish", as a matter of fact the Mustang produces well over 500 hp. I'm 59 yrs old and just cannot seem to get into this battery thing. I buy batteries for my flashlight. Other than the one battery to start the car and run stuff my experience is limited and will continue to be. Do the batteries in thse little cars need to be charged like an electric wheelchair? I've heard that under the right circumstances those little cars can be as deadly as the electric chair up at the state prison. Well ok now I'm not thin skinned and look forward to the fuel burning tongue lashings to begin,
    JIm

I may be a dreamer, but I'd like to see a bio diesel hybrid developed and built in the good old USA that fits the lifestyles of American drivers. Bio diesel is clean burning (the exhaust smells like popcorn), it can be produced by American farmers lessening the dependence on foreign oil (or domestic oil for that matter), and a high horsepower bio diesel engine combined with Hybrid electric technology would result in a car/truck with economy and clean emissions that would perform in both city and highway and heavy hauling/pulling conditions.

It's nothing against the foreign automakers, they've done fantastic things for the auto industry. But the American lifestyle revolves around the automobile more so than other places in the world and we love our powerful and comfortable vehicles. I just hate to see us giving up what we love if there's a way to have the best of both.

My thought is to get the vehicle that matches YOUR needs, not the biggest flashiest one you can.
    If you need to tow a boat or a big trailer then maybe you do need a 6l V8. If you just drive to work in it... ummm
    I drive a little Toyota Corolla wagon, I dont think it's a model you get have in the US, it was never sold new in NZ either. We got the normal Corolla wagons here, nice enough little wagon, but nothing special. Mine was imported 2nd hand from Japan where they have all sorts of weird models. Mine has the 20valve, 165 hp, 1600cc engine same as the MR2 sports car, so it has a bit more pep than the normal 1600 cc engine. Plenty fast enough to have my licence suspended on the spot and the car impounded (if I was that crazy)
    Still gets 30-40 mpg (35avg) in your measurements.
    Maybe a Prius would get a little better mileage, but would it make up for the extra cost, and it wouldn't have the performance.

If you want to save gas get a smaller car, even a 2nd hand one, for those long commutes. The right model will perform on the road as well as a larger engined (heavier) car. Sure a V8 may pull away from me in a straight line, but on a winding hilly road it would a close thing.

As a complete aside I was reading about Brazil developing methanol as a fuel. If cars are designed to run on it there is no problem with it. They got slightly less MPG on ethanol, but it was cheaper and the cost worked out the same. Developing cars to run on alcohol or biodiesel makes more sense than just trying to get more mileage from fossil fuels. Doesn't really matter if it's made from corn, soybeans, sugar cane or wood chips, you can allways grow more.

Just my thougths from the other side of the world.

Cheers

Ian

Here's a hearty "Aye....Aye" to you Ian! That's the reason my wife and I have a F350 and a Honda Accord. Most of our driving is in the Honda but for a weekend of camping in our 9,000 lb 5th wheel trailer or hauling the lumber or new washer and dryer home.....Bruiser (the 1 ton Ford pickup truck) gets the nod.
    Ken