Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Awright...No Laughing now - 1st Hollow Form Attempt - Pics

Awright...No Laughing now - 1st Hollow Form Attempt - Pics

Well.....I finaly got the current flatwork project done and figured it was time to try my hand at making my very first hollow form. John Hart just happened to send me a few pieces of wood. Thanks John!!!! I picked out the punky, flat sided cherry chunk that was in the box and decided to use it for my attempt at turning a hollow form. The wood was very punky and had a large void / crack across 1/3 of it. After I got it turned down enough to where pieces weren't flying off of it, I went to work on the outter form and then hollowing.

It's not finished, briefly sanded on the outside only. 5" tall and 4" wide at the widest point. Walls are about 1/8" thick as best I can tell. I'm a feller with short fingers so I couldn't reach all the way into the bottom section of the form.

Anyway, I know my "form" on this turning really stinks and I realized just how different hollow form turning is from turing bowls, platters, and goblets.

I ain't showing the bottom as I just parted it off the lathe without finishing the bottom. Hey.....it's my first try at this.....give me time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I'm sure you will master this as well as everything else.
    Pete
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

I was wondering if you were ever going to get around to HF

You will probably have it completely mastered by morning if I know you

Good first job Dennis.

Alright Dennis. That form doesn't look bad to me.

Ernie

Congratulations on your first! Looks like the beginning of a new addiction to me Dennis.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Oh but Mr. Hart...............I disagree.........not a new addiction........just a new form of the old addiction..........the laws of physics concerning the Vortex and the Abyss can't be broken!

Nice first attempt Dennis! You'll be playing the major leagues soon I'm convinced!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Dennis that is a nice looking HF. I am going to have to attempt one of those one of these days. You will be a pro by next weekend. Nice work Dennis.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

That will get you a great big YAHOO. Finish it up and GRIN!

Bruce

Can you reverse it on a chuck and expand the jaws inside GENTLY to finish up the bottom? Take light cuts and lots of sandpaper and you can finish the bottom. Looks good for a first one. It gets easier.

Dennis, that's a great first effort. You're giving me courage to give this a try.
    What did you use to turn the inside with?
    Jim Davenport
    Reporting from the depths of the Magic Garage

11. Good start Dennis! But you're already behind schedule for getting the next one started...

12. Has an inclusion, and a character flaw, and it is a nice form etc....

First one, looks darn good to me!

Nice job Dennis. You didn't mention what kind of tool you used to do the hollowing. But if you got it to 1/8" walls that's quite an accomplshment with any tool. I personally don't savey the hollowing tools and have done what little hollowing I've done with a round nosed scraper and never gotten close to 1/8".

As for the form, I first read of the "Golden Mean" http://goldennumber.net/design.htm in the DaVinci Code. Then looked it up and and have since read quite a bit about it. It has something to do with the rule of thirds. The bottom being 1/3 the size of the biggest diameter, the widest point being 1/3 of the way down from the top, etc. I guess it's something about how the brain perceives shapes. It's one of the reasons why Jim Ketron's and Travis Stinson's work seems to jump out and grab you when you see it.
    Last edited by Curt Fuller; 04-23-2006 at 10:55 AM.

14. "rule of thirds"

I agree with what you're saying, Curt. I enjoy seeing pieces that use this standard. I have this on my mind most of the time when I'm turning - even though I don't always end up there...

BUT... I also enjoy seeing pieces that don't "play by the rules". I'm partial to a variety and like to attempt other forms (most times by necessity ).

Keep on turning these, Dennis. They really can be very satisfying!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...