Thread: Attention NORAD.... we have multiple lift offs......

1. Attention NORAD.... we have multiple lift offs......

Oh yeah, big time Dungeon launches!!

Nothing damaged but my pride!

I wanted to turn something, anything, so I had this chunk of Sakura here, first I cut it.......

Attachment 37150
    A couple of screws on my fast and dirty resaw sled.....

Attachment 37151
    ...and Big Blue earns his keep!

Attachment 37152
    I put a face plate on the back of this blank, as I'm going to try to do a NE

Attachment 37153
    There, bottom done, the tenon turned, time to get the chuck out...

Attachment 37155
    All chucked up ready to do the inside of the bowl..........

Cont.....
    Last edited by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan; 11-24-2006 at 4:22 AM.

2. ....so I barely get going on the inside and BAM.......

Attachment 37156
    Not even a big catch, really just a minor one, but it came off.
    Upon closer inspection the dark area of the wood was really soft and punky.....

Attachment 37157
    go to the jamb chuck mode to return the tennon...

Attachment 37158
    Tennon returned, but I'll admit, I still had a few more get offs, mainly as the spindle gouge I'm using don't like the inside of the bowl, the outside I can get nice cuts, but the inside is a lot harder...

Attachment 37159
    Here is the bottom of the rough out, I had to work hard to get the bottom thinner than the sides, as I learned on Mr. Grumbine's DVD.

Attachment 37160

and the top, I've got a ton of inclusions and other defects, so I got out the CA glue and got sticky fingers.

I'll let this one dry in the paper bag, don't think the boiling method will work so well with the NE..... (Will it?).

Certainly was fun, but I NEED a real bowl gouge, this other thing I have sucks for the inside. A good scraper would help too.

Well, now I have to deliver some beer!

Cheers!
    Last edited by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan; 11-24-2006 at 4:23 AM.

Stu, from your post I have gotten an iota of what is involved in turning. But, now I know that I better stay away from it. If it was me there in your shop, I just know that I'd have wodd flying from there to here....some of it on the roof....some of it sticking out of me......maybe some of it sticking out of you.......who knows where it would end up.

I'll just keep watching, thank you.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rios
    Stu, from your post I have gotten an iota of what is involved in turning. But, now I know that I better stay away from it. If it was me there in your shop, I just know that I'd have wood flying from there to here....some of it on the roof....some of it sticking out of me......maybe some of it sticking out of you.......who knows where it would end up.

I'll just keep watching, thank you.
    It is not all that bad, this one did not even get more than 3 feet airborne.

I learned real early to stay out of the line of fire, just bounced on the floor, which was ankle deep in shavings, but the one edge caught the toolrest on the way by, so I lost a bit of the bark, I'll use some branding iron to make it look somewhat respectable, I guess they call that an artistic opportunity

Welcome to the "bowl launching olympics"
    You have a great start on that natural edge.
    You really need to geet a bowl gouge. I had purchased a 3/8" on closeout from Woodcraft, reground it with an "Ellsworth grind". It made a big difference in my turning. I just bought a 1/2" "Ellsworth grind" gouge, but haven't used it yet.
    Jim Davenport
    Reporting from the depths of the Magic Garage

Dang Stu! Along with all your other talents you now add Teaching, Instructional Development and finally Rocket Science. Is there nothing you can't do?
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Stu............ to SAVE YOUR SANITY and you HEALTH, please do NOT use a Spindle Gouge on the INSIDE of a bowl. Danger.............Danger................Danger!
    Either an Irish Grind BOWL gouge or Scraper will do the job there.

Want to have you around for a while!

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

Way to go Stu! Your first NE! I think she's gonna move big time on you during the drying time though. Hopefully, you'll be able to get it round again. That's gonna be nice looking.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

9. Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    Way to go Stu! Your first NE! I think she's gonna move big time on you during the drying time though. Hopefully, you'll be able to get it round again. That's gonna be nice looking.
    Ya, that Sakura surely moves a lot, but it sure does look NICE!

Bruce, thanks for the concern, I'm learning the hard way!

The spindle gouge is ground with a BIGTIME Irish grind, but still, it don't work so well. Thing is, I don't have a good scraper, the one I have is really a short stubby thing, it is thin and vibrates a lot, so it is not so good either.

I REALLY need to get some better tools.

Cheers!

Stu,
    With all of the metal work you have done, find a bar of HSS and make your own scraper! then turn a handle and go at the next bowl!

11. Quote Originally Posted by Ed Lang
    Stu,
    With all of the metal work you have done, find a bar of HSS and make your own scraper! then turn a handle and go at the next bowl!
    Easier said than done Ed,I'm looking but the only pieces I can find are too short, they are for making stuff for metal lathes....

Cheers!

Stu looks like you are going to have a nice NE bowl. By the way welcome to bowl launching 101.

Stu my friend, Bruce said it best. No spindle gouge inside a bowl. Put a fingernail grind back on your spindle gouge and get you a 3/8" and 1/2" bowl gouge with a fingernail grind or Irish grind on them. Get you a 3/4" scraper and a big 1 1/2" by 1/4" to 3/8" thick scraper. I didn't want to by a regular 1 1/2" round nose scraper and then another one with a side grind. So I bought the big round nose and put a left hand side grind on it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

13. OK, OK, I got the Memo!

I'm working on it.

I'm going to pull the trigger on a new lathe soon, but I think I'm also going to put in an order at Lee Valley before I do that.

Cheers!