Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New table saw competition

[QUOTE=Cliff Rohrabacher]No Deere ain't makin 'em:
    Altendorf and Martin are is making the TS as a joint effort and Festool is making the Circular saw.

The products are being private labled just for Deere.

yeah, right.
    They don't look anything like Festool or Altendorf.
    Looks morre like Lowe's answer to HD's Ridgid line.

Cliff, what color is the bridge? Dick B.

Do you know if my mulcher blade and bagger attachment will work on that TS?
    Use the fence Luke

I don't know if the mulcher would fit, but I do know that if Lowes or Home Depot put these on the shelf, they would sell like hotcakes, just because of the Deere name. People (not that I know anyone like that) will buy anything with the Deere name on it. For example, a dog I know has a John Deere collar because even LOML ...err... I mean his mom thought it was cool.

I have no idea if there is any connection but JCB (big earth moving equipment - fantastic brand reputation) did the same thing over here a few years ago. You can get pretty much anything from a drill to a pallet truck with the JCB log on it. Can't say I own any. I am pretty sure that they don't make them themselves

Cat, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Coke and anyone with a strong brand can do this sort of thing. They get paid for advertsing. When I worked at Cat, I remember during our new hire orientation program having a marketing guy talk at one of our meetings and mentioning that they had really strict requirements, including quality requirements, for anything that was licensed to use their name. Often the products aren't even sold by the owner of the name and I thought it was interesting that John Deere is selling these.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser
    For example, a dog I know has a John Deere collar
    My lab and my son's lab each have John Deere collars. One is green and yellow and the other is black and yellow.

Interesting

Anyone else notice the spec page on the TS? It lists the weight of the saw at 56 lbs. How could this be?! It is either made of cardboard or that is a misprint.

Oh, Farmerssupply.net lists the price at $349. Definately not a "high end" saw.
    "Why do witches burn?" - sir Bedevere
    "Because they're made of wood?" - Villager

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser
    Cat, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Coke and anyone with a strong brand can do this sort of thing. They get paid for advertsing. When I worked at Cat, I remember during our new hire orientation program having a marketing guy talk at one of our meetings and mentioning that they had really strict requirements, including quality requirements, for anything that was licensed to use their name. Often the products aren't even sold by the owner of the name and I thought it was interesting that John Deere is selling these.
    HAHAHAHAHA,
    And did I say HAHAHAHAHA?
    I took a job for a couple years with a company that made wiring harnesses for big important Norte Americano heavy equipment manufacturers.
    Personnel turnover was >50 to 70%/ year.
    I made fixtures upon which harnesses were constructed.
    Pay and benefits, not to mention the utter and complete disrespect of the workforce, were so insulting of human dignity that only the most faithful and desperate among our community kept this company alive for the last 30 years or so. Rich acquisitive incompetent managers are solely to blame for the demise of the productivity of an otherwise dedicated and willing workforce and that the company has been gobbled up again, and the work will soon be sent beyond our borders should come as no surprise to anyone.

Another big house on the hill, and more culturally sanctioned
    YuK,
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Chaffee
    HAHAHAHAHA,
    And did I say HAHAHAHAHA?
    I took a job for a couple years with a company that made wiring harnesses for big important Norte Americano heavy equipment manufacturers.
    Personnel turnover was >50 to 70%/ year.
    I made fixtures upon which harnesses were constructed.
    Pay and benefits, not to mention the utter and complete disrespect of the workforce, were so insulting of human dignity that only the most faithful and desperate among our community kept this company alive for the last 30 years or so. Rich acquisitive incompetent managers are solely to blame for the demise of the productivity of an otherwise dedicated and willing workforce and that the company has been gobbled up again, and the work will soon be sent beyond our borders should come as no surprise to anyone.

Another big house on the hill, and more culturally sanctioned
    YuK,
    Frank
    Rush Lembo(sp??) couldn't have said it better...

Don,
    I am very curious as to how you associate my observation of predatory business practices with the views of Rush L.

Please reply via the forum or our PM capability.

Thank You,
    Frank Chaffee

Frank,
    I was being sarcastic. Sorry, I don't want to turn a thread into a political thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Neel
    Anyone else notice the spec page on the TS? It lists the weight of the saw at 56 lbs. How could this be?! It is either made of cardboard or that is a misprint.

Oh, Farmerssupply.net lists the price at $349. Definately not a "high end" saw.
    Yeah, I saw that and the 2.6 HP and immediately thought "direct drive". Probably the same rating system that says my MV12 router is 3.25 hp.

- Vaughn

14. Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Hey Cliff, that's cool! The LOML is kind of partial to Wisconsin, though. Any ocean front property available in the Milwaukee area, by chance???
    Oh yeah baby I can get you ocean front property with a deep water pier & drydock right at the foot of Mount Idaho in the heart of Milwaukee, Wisconsin You can choose pacific or atlantic.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Dick Bringhurst
    Cliff, what color is the bridge? Dick B.
    Any color you want.