Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spice Chest finished...

Spice Chest finished...

...and sold!
    This was posted in "weekend accomplishments" but I thought it could use its own thread, seeing as it took forever to complete. Sold at a fundraising auction for the school I work for.

I caught my wife bidding on it during the auction- I think she's having some separation anxiety. I know I am. Well, back to the shop, maybe the next one will have a tombstone door... .
    Critique welcome.
    Mike

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Very hot and Spicy.
    I'm likin it big time.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Beautiful work, Mike. I'll bet it made some good money for youre school. Care to share some details? Wood (I'm guessing walnut), finish, any other info would be great. I'm curious what the separate little box is in the last pic, too? Hidden drawer perhaps?

Thanks for posting the pics -

- Vaughn

Mike, I can tell that you put a lot of time into the wood selection and placement. Very nice touch - it adds that truly "craftsman" touch to the project. Cudo's to you on that.

Question: Why did you choose to have the side showing on the left side of the piece? I'm not too terribly familiar with spice chests, so this might be the nature of their design. Just curious.

Michael, Michael, Michael!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Marvelous and fantastic and extremely spicy too!

That chest is tops. Had I been at the auction I would have bid that baby up big-time… unless the other bidders were scared away by my earnest desire to possess it, and they bowed out early.

And did I say marvelous and fantastic and extremely spicy too, also?

Frank

Thanks guys.
    Vaughn- Walnut is correct, harvested near here in northern CT, hard maple for the drawers. Most of the wood came from the same big board. You can see my dovetail experimentation as none of them are quite the same. Right again on the small box- thats the "secret" drawer, it fits behind the 2nd row from the top right hand drawer, which is half as deep as the cabinet. The deep middle drawer also has a false bottom compartment. The finish is BLO, orange shellac, and Waterlox. I learned a lot doing this project, and my shop is littered with little dovetailed walnut and maple boxes- failed drawer attempts . It sold for $700, plus a commitment for another 200 to the scholarship fund. I'll not judge what it may be worth...
    Jason, not sure I understand the question- is it regarding the angle of the photograph? I just included a shot that showed the dovetails. Like this from the other side...

Thanks for looking.
    Mike

I think his question is why, when viewed from the front with the door closed, do you see the left side panel of the chest. I am curious, too.

Great work, I love the hidden box and the variety of different dovetails.

I love the grain pattern on the front of the box!!! The dovetails are really beautiful. Did you do them by hand?

a more important question, are you going to make one for your wife after you caught her bidding on it? Great job on the spice box!!!!

Michael, Beautiful work... Your attention to detail shows..Like the extra secret door...The front door panel is stunning..How did you finish the walnut?...Very Nice work!
    Jerry

That is one beautiful piece. Excellent craftsmanship and good eye for detail. That will stand proud in any kitchen.

With oustanding workmanship like that I think it would have been a great deal at twice the price...... Very nice! I hope to see your next project.

Ken
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Great work and wood selection. Love the finish. Probably worth more than it brought, but that is a good piece of change for the school. Congratulations.

I'd say it deserves it's own thread........Terrific!!!

You DT the carcass together also......very impressive!!

Beautiful fit and finish - you are an excellent craftsman!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael King
    Jason, not sure I understand the question- is it regarding the angle of the photograph? I just included a shot that showed the dovetails. Like this from the other side...
    Mike, it's no big deal, but I edited this picture to show you what I was talking about. I hope this helps. It looks unbalanced to my eye, but as I said, I'm not that familiar with spice cabinets. This may be part of the look. I'm not trying to take away from the beauty of this piece by any means, it's very beautiful. I just wanted clarification. Have a great one!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jason,
    Now I understand. No problem.
    I looked at lots of pictures of these things, both antiques and ones that had been made recently, and I saw all different door configurations. I made this mostly using pictures of one from 1790 and a pic from an old popular woodworking magazine. I couldn't figure out how to include the lock and escutcheon on a frame and panel door that completely overlayed the sides. I agree, I had considered the imbalance of the look, but hoped the figured panel would perhaps attract the eye elsewhere. I also considered making the door inset on both sides, but when I made a mockup, I wasn't convinced making the door smaller was the answer. Then LOML came into the shop (with her opinion), and the discussion was over.
    Jerry- the door panel was hand planed, scraped for what seemed like forever, and then BLO, Orange shellac, and Waterlox
    Helen-All the dovetails, carcass and drawers are by hand except the bottom drawer, I ran out of time. I made this clear to folks bidding on it. They didn't seem to care. Originally I made the drawers with my Leigh d4, then a discussion with a friend convinced me to go back to the drawing board and do it the right way. So I remade all the drawers. Except for that one
    I was putting the felt in and finishing the one "ring" drawer in my office at the school 3 hours before the auction started.
    While this is called a spice cabinet, I'd never put spices in it. I figure it would be better for jewelry or keepsakes. Thanks for all the compliments.
    Mike