Thread: Will the carveright take the place of a molder

Will the carveright take the place of a molder

Hello all! I was trying to ask a question in the other thread regarding the carveright but everyone is so tied up in deciding if it takes skill and what not. My question was can the carveright basically take the place of a molder. I know that it wouldn't be as fast as a molder but it can do alot more than a molder can do. I am thinking that a molder cost around $900+ and then you still got to buy blades which can varie in price. I am thinking that for $1500 you can buy a carveright and do more with it. Anybody have any comments about this? Thanks Josh

It can do the job of a molder for relatively short lengths: I don't think I'd try anything longer than 6' or so with it, based on the specs and mechanism. If you really need long lengths of constant profile, I'd go with the molder.

(Also, AFAIK that $1500 number was an introductory price...think $2000 for comparison purposes.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

It is not.

That was one of the things I spoke to in that thread.
    If it were capable of that I'd want one.
    In point of fact the thing is a CNC machining center. It's got X, Y and Z axi under control it's just not terribly robust.

The thing isn't yet robust enough to be a hogging mill as is a molder/planer. The bearngs and mass are closer to a heavy printer than a molder/planer.
    However that said, they have already proved the concept of a mini CNC in a printer format body there is no reason they can't scale it up and make it more robust.

All they need to do is prove the marketing theory. If they sell enough they may go for a heavier machine.

I'd want a CNC that could double as a planer rossette maker hollow body instrument hog - you name it.
    CNC machining centers for wood exist already. The purchase price is many many thousands of dollars.

In theory there is almost nothing you can not do on them except finish sanding. A three axis CNC can be supplimented with a fourth CNC axis to do lathe work.
    Once one does that any thing imaginable can be done on the one solitary CNC machine. It can do anyting you can do on any other machine.

Concievably that could obviate all the other machine tools in the shop.
    The ultimate combo machine. Plug and play on steroids.
    It can be had today (with the fourtth axis) for about $40-Grand

Josh,

In terms of time the Carvewright would most likely take an hour to run a 6 foot long piece and a molding machine about 60 seconds. The Carvewright is capable of more detail than a molding machine, both machines have their advantages and neither one will replace the other.

By the way I own a 4 by 8 foot ShopBot CNC Router and an Epilog laser engraver, neither one has been able to replace any of the traditional woodworking machines in my workshop.

5. Well I have not seen on, over here in Japan, but I know a few guys that have them over there.

Their software does Japanese fonts, so I'm looking at getting one at some point.

I think your question can be asked like this.

Will an ink-jet printer replace the printing press line at a newspaper?

No, not a chance, but it then again, a newspaper printing press, cannot easily to small runs of work, while the ink-jet excels at that.

Cheers!

Just my 2 yens worth!

I only do woodworking as a hobby. Now i do sell some of my stuff but not a production shop by any means. The fact that it might take an hour doesn't bother me especially because it does it own thing for an hour. I wouldn't have to be there holding its hand . I know there is a difference but i do not have bottomless pockets so the CNC machine sounds nice but unless i get a rat in my McDonalds hamburger i don't think i will be able to purchase one any time soon. I can't use a hammer and a chisel to produce anything remotely beautiful so i thought the carveright would take care of my two my problems. No molder and hand and eye cordination . Thanks Josh

Josh...........I think what Keith is trying to communicate is that the Carveright is not designed for taking a lot of wood off. When making molding you have to remove a lot of wood. I suspect the carveright was never designed for those type of long jobs. It wouldn't surprise me that if you use it for making molding you would end up with some real reliability problems. Just MHO.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....