Thread: Green with envy

Talking Green with envy

Just wanted to post the follow up to a past posting. A while back when when had the new hardwood floor put in, the contractor used a Festool saw and guide rail. The LOML asked, "Why don't you have one of those?" So with the help of Bob Marino.

I think that my wife had tool envy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bless her heart! Does she have a sister?
    Use the fence Luke

Very nice!!

I believe this is my next purchase too. I have been doing more cabinet work than furniture work lately and my current circular saw just doesn't cut those big sheets very cleanly. I am able to cut much of it on my tablesaw but it is alway a pain (not to mention a bit dangerous) trying to wrestle those boards onto the table saw and cut them.

Congrats on the purchase!

Tell your wife she has excellent taste!

Can't say as though my wife has ever suggested I buy a tool but she is all for me getting something that does the job well just not the usual expense that comes with it. That said, I just recently got the TS55 saw and dust extractor combo after much deliberation. Very nice tool and well made. You will love it.
    Matt Tawes
    Chesapeake Woodcraft

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard
    Bless her heart! Does she have a sister?
    That's available?

RUN FOREST! RUUUN!!!
    Tim

Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog it's just too dark to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Peterson
    "Why don't you have one of those?" So with the help of Bob Marino.

Now, my wife indulges my passion for woodworking, but she has never said that. Nor do I ever expect her to say that, because she knows what would happen.

Wow. Congrats on the wife.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Excellent choice! Sooooooo, having done lots of work on hardwood floors, I am dying to see why the contractors needed one of these to install a hardwood floor? I can imagine and that is why it would be nice to see photos of the floor. I know guys, I am working on my photos comming up here tooo.... that is why I want to take a shot gun to the clock! So much work so little time! Anyways, did the contractor have to RE-GROOVE any of the hardwood floor insitu? If so, how did he do this operation? To bad your wife did not see the hummel sander!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then there would be no hope for you guys at all!

Best wishes...
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev Emch
    Excellent choice! Sooooooo, having done lots of work on hardwood floors, I am dying to see why the contractors needed one of these to install a hardwood floor? I can imagine and that is why it would be nice to see photos of the floor. I know guys, I am working on my photos comming up here tooo.... that is why I want to take a shot gun to the clock! So much work so little time! Anyways, did the contractor have to RE-GROOVE any of the hardwood floor insitu? If so, how did he do this operation? To bad your wife did not see the hummel sander!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then there would be no hope for you guys at all!

Best wishes...
    I was thinking the same thing...a miter saw and a tape measure ought to be all ya need.

My wife is quite proud of and knowledgeable about "our" Festool tools. Margaret really does understand and appreciate the design inovations in many of the tools.

thank you for the kind replies. I have an excellent wife that supports my addiction. To answer Dev's question on the floor installer he used it because he had to taper cut a few of the boards to fit with the old original floor that was not laid square. He uses it also because it keeps the dust down. Quite a talented fellow. The new floor meets the old floor through three openings in the house and nothing lined up.

Wait until you see the kitchen the LOML designed

Hmmm - I better not let LOML see that! On the other hand... Congratulations on your wife's nice taste AND on your wife.

Al

Strange substance behind your TS55

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Peterson
    Just wanted to post the follow up to a past posting. A while back when when had the new hardwood floor put in, the contractor used a Festool saw and guide rail. The LOML asked, "Why don't you have one of those?" So with the help of Bob Marino.

Tom, there's a strange whitish substance behind your saw. That couldn't be... GASP! Sawdust!?!

OK, here's the solution. Run quick and get a Festool CT22 dust extractor. Insert the hose in the strange oriface at the back of the TS55. Now turn on CT22 about 1/2 speed. You should hear a very low humming.

Now here's the good part. Cut up say about 10 sheets of 3/4 plywood. Sweep up the remaining sawdust and place in the palm of your right hand. (Not the whole hand of course, just the center portion.) Wait until your wife comes by and asks the obvious question, "Where's all of the sawdust?" Open hand and proceed to laugh hysterically!

Of course, I'm joking about the handful of sawdust. (It will be more like a thimble full.)

I have a CT22 and love it. My TS55 lives on top of the CT22 and is almost always attached. Also, Fein makes an adapter that perfectly fits the CT22 hose and connects to standard 1 inch fittings on a lot of tools. I use it with my drywall sander and with a rotozip. Rotozip + CT22 = NO dust.

One other tip... Get some 1" foam insullation (the pink stuff). It makes a great sacraficial surface to cut on.

Have fun...

Regards,

Dan.

p.s., One downside of Festools, though. Once you get your first one, you are typically hooked. YOU WANT MORE! (Have to control credit card hand. Failing! Oh, no......)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Clark
    Tom, there's a strange whitish substance behind your saw. That couldn't be... GASP! Sawdust!?!

OK, here's the solution. Run quick and get a Festool CT22 dust extractor. Insert the hose in the strange oriface at the back of the TS55. Now turn on CT22 about 1/2 speed. You should hear a very low humming.

Now here's the good part. Cut up say about 10 sheets of 3/4 plywood. Sweep up the remaining sawdust and place in the palm of your right hand. (Not the whole hand of course, just the center portion.) Wait until your wife comes by and asks the obvious question, "Where's all of the sawdust?" Open hand and proceed to laugh hysterically!

Of course, I'm joking about the handful of sawdust. (It will be more like a thimble full.)

I have a CT22 and love it. My TS55 lives on top of the CT22 and is almost always attached. Also, Fein makes an adapter that perfectly fits the CT22 hose and connects to standard 1 inch fittings on a lot of tools. I use it with my drywall sander and with a rotozip. Rotozip + CT22 = NO dust.

One other tip... Get some 1" foam insullation (the pink stuff). It makes a great sacraficial surface to cut on.

Have fun...

Regards,

Dan.

p.s., One downside of Festools, though. Once you get your first one, you are typically hooked. YOU WANT MORE! (Have to control credit card hand. Failing! Oh, no......)
    And if your using a porter cable sander, then dont forget the RG-DUK dust adapter which adapts any vacum DC to the Porter Cable tools. In my case, a porter cable vac to a porter cable 1/4 sheet palm sander. You can buy the RG-DUK adapter in many fine establishments. Just ask for Dupont Duct Tape. Make sure you get the gray stuff. By the way, the RG in my part number stands for Red Green if anyone is wondering.

I joke now but this is what I had to do to get these items to work together. None of our PC dealers had a clue how to help. I resorted to duct tape. So if the women dont find me handsome, at least they can find me handy. Just remember, were all in this together.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.