Thread: running a temporary 220v extension cord

running a temporary 220v extension cord

I am curious as to if this is even possible. But I am interested in running an extension cord about 50feet from my jointer up to my dryer outlet in order to basically power on my jointer in order that the person interested in buying it can see it run. I have a 50 12ga heavy duty three wire cable (extension cord) and I was thinking I could just put a plug on each end...if this is even posssible could someone advise me as to the the wiring procedure.

Of course the upside to this is maybe once I see this baby run i will take it off the market

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Only if it's a quick demo temp !!!
    It will work Tim. Good luck.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

I power all my 220 tools via a hook-up to the dryer outlet--on a permanent basis. Of course I use the required 10 guage wire (run it through my roof into the garage), and the line remains dedicated for either my tools or the dryer. When I'm done working in the garage, I simply plug the dryer back into place.

[quote=Tim Morton]I...if this is even posssible could someone advise me as to the the wiring procedure.

As for the procedure, if it's a plain 3 pronged dryer plug, put the black wire on one terminal, the white on the other, and the green on the middle one.
    Wire the 240 volt receptacle on the opposite end of the wire the same way. Seems a shame to screw up a nice 50' 12/2 w/g extension cord just to see a jointer run!
    Jim

Tim,
    I have done this for years. I have a small storeroom 10'X20' that I share with the mower, yard tools and my tools. I have a carport that serves as an expansion area and as permanent storage for several of my larger machines. I went to the borg and bought a male plug that fits the dryer power outlet. The other end gets a metal electrical box with a female outlet that matches my tablesaw plug, 220V 20A. I used to run it out the backdoor of my house. A couple of years ago I went through the laundry room wall and put a 220V outside. Now I just plug the extension cord into the outside outlet. I will also run my rotary 3 phase converter of the same extension cord.

I'm not sure all this is totally code but it works for my weekend woodworking. I have a gas dryer so my dryer circuit is always free. I would not run the dryer and tools at the same time.

If the motor runs the wrong way swap the leads at the motor.

Good Luck
    Danny

For a temporary "show and tell" I would not see any issue with this.

As to, "can it be done". You should see welding crews move into a job site. There are 220v extension cords as thick as theves all over the place. Hundreds of feet of them to power welders. No problem.

I would say you would be safe with the 12 ga. wire for a short run of that machine. I wouldn't do it for the long term, you need 10 ga. as discribed above. But to turn the machine on a few times and run a board across it occasionally I don't think you would heat the temp cord up to the point it would be an issue. Try it. Start the machine and let it run for 5 min. or so, put your hand on the wire near where the machine plugs into it and then go to the other end, your power source and put your hand on that. If it is warm you are OK for a temporary situation, if it is so hot you can't keep your hand on it for 15 seconds or so then you perhaps need to rethink the situation, shut the machine off.

Hook up the wire as discribed above, black to black, white to white and green to green.

Yes Tim, it'll be fine for a quick demo.

For a more permanent solution you would want to bring the outlet closer to the tool or use a heavier guage wire for the extension.
    Tim

Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog it's just too dark to read.

I use extension cord wire on all my machines... more flexible and less expensive than the heavy black wire they sell for the purpose.

Be sure to get heavy-enough wire. You have to look hard to find 12 gauge extension cords (for up to 20 amps), and the 10 gauge cords (for up to 30 amps) are only on the top shelf out of sight, if they have them at all.

Be sure to get cords insulated for 600 volts. This is the normal insulation, but I have occasionally seen cheap cords only insulated for 250 volts. The "220 volt" connection is RMS voltage, sort of an average over the sine wave. The peak voltage is well above the 220 volt average... you need the 600 volt insulation for a 220 or 240 volt circuit.

I do the same as Charlie.

Check the BORG. Take a look at item #301314 (I can't get a copy & paste link to work). Cut both ends off. Hard wire one into where the current cord on your machine is, and put a new plug on the other end.

They're easy to spot on the shelf (and on the shop floor). Bright yellow.

Michael

Tim,

I use them all the time. In fact, I just got back from Lowe's with 25' feet of 12 guage for my DJ-20. The stock number was 71780 and it was 1.19 per foot. You'll also need connectors for the end, about 5 bucks a piece. Just make sure you get the kind that are made for 220. Also, get the propper wire/connectors for the amps that you need.

Jim

Not that I would recommend it but my manual for the unisaw says you can use 16 gauge wire for an extension up to 100 feet 14 gauge up to 200 and 12 up to 300 feet.

I use a home built extension cord with 12/3 gauge wire from home depot. Its heavy duty insulated and makes for a solid extension cord with no problems. its about 1.00 per foot.

WOW...I expected maybe 2 or 3 responses all tell me NOT to do this even for a temporary hook up..thanks for the replies.

I bought a heavy 12g ext cord from the BORG. Cut the ends off and installed 240 plug and outlet. Took only a little time. While looking at plugs and outlets, I noticed that the ones at Home Depot are a lot better than Lowe's. The housing is more sturdy, more of the king of thing that I could accidentally drop or step on and not worry about cracking the plastic housing. And to boot, the ones at Home Depot are a dollar or two less. Bought half of a Big Mac with the savings.

HI Tim: For what it's worth, the licensed electrician who wired a house we built in CA in 2000, specifically made a 220v extension cord for me so I could roll the table saw out onto the drive.

He used 30 feet of 12 gauge all copper. I've been using it now for six years to power the table saw, 220, 7amp, 2 HP without a problem.

Enjoy, Tom
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

What is the amperage of the motor in the jointer?

The gauge of the wire for your extension is dependent on the amperage that will run through it, not on the voltage.
    Howie.........