Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lawn Mowers - Small Yard

Lawn Mowers - Small Yard

My mower looks to be shooting craps, and isn't worth the repair expense. I'm shopping for a push-type (maybe S-P) for a small yard (I push it in less than an hour). Mulching is important, as is catching. Side discharge not really necessary. Consumer Reports has a current article, but I'm interested to know if you have any insights and recommendations, good or bad.

Thanks,
    Andy Haney

Lawn Mowers - Small Yard

I've been lucky with a sears mulching mower that I got in 1995, never had a problem with it, still starts the first pull except the first time after the long winter layoff. I have only used the catcher once, when it got really high, normally it mulches so well that there's no sign of the cut grass after. It's rear bag (hard plastic).

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

For gas powered mowing look at Honda. If it is really small how about a non engine reel type mower.

Joe

Here's one that was offered to me recently...I think it was Andy Hoyt who suggested it. The handle configuration looks like it could be pushed or pulled, but it's got the mulcher and fertilizer distribution systems built in.

goat.jpg

- Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Haney
    I'm shopping for a push-type .... Mulching is important, as is catching.
    Andy... I live on a "typical" city lot, about 50' wide by 150' deep.

I use one of these:

Light. Quiet. Safe. Economical. Zero emissions. Excellent Fuel economy

My tolerance for noisy mowers has dropped like a stone since switching to one of these 10 years ago. I just pull out the old electric in the fall when it comes time to chop up the leaves.

(But I don't understand why you want mulching as well as bagging. Those are rather contradictory. If you mulch the grass, why would you want to catch it? The point of a mulching mower is to chop it fine and drop it bag down so that it nourishes the soil.)

I'm another one for Honda. I have always had great luck with them. As for bagging and mulching, I like to have both. I like the bagging because I occasionally like to have the clippings for mulch in the garden - the rest of the time I mulch (or rear discharge if I have let the grass get a little too tall).

-Ryan

I have the same mower as Art and it is more than up to the job. And, it's really nice not having to conrend with gas fumes or an electric cord.

Here is another view:

mower.jpg

For more information see: http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...t=2,2160,51170

We moved a year ago. After extensive research, I decided on a Brill. This is a German mower imported and sold by a gentleman in Maine. It is a reel type mower that uses a 24 volt battery. I purchased an extra battery, but as it turns out, I rarely use it. If the battery craps out, it can by used as a normal push-type reel mower. It is nearly silent and doesn't pollute (pretending the grid doesn't exist). Great mulcher. I love it though I wish it used a bit less plastic..

Larry

we have a small yard and Ive used a $10 electric weed eater to keep it mowed . takes about a hour

thing is she has so many plants and lawn stuff that I had to do most of it with the weedeater evan when the gas one was working

We have a Singer 24V mower my wife bought about 8 years ago at a garage sale. Very nice to mow the yard with and quiet. I can even hear the phone ring in the house while mowing with it. I forget who has their name on these things now. It seems to me Ryobi did for awhile and then who knows.

Andy,

My Toro is 10 years old and works as good as it did when new. I've changed the oil and did replace the drive belt last year. My Dad's is about the same model, but 7 years older then mine. No problems either. Starts easy, mulches, rear bag, or side discharge. It's power drive, and not very loud, a nice feature I didn't notice until my neighbor mows his lawn. It takes me about an hour to mow our yard.

Hondas are nice, but B&S parts are easy to find, seem to last as long and start as easy.

John

One big reason for bagging and mulching is so you can bag the leaves in the fall and mulch the rest of the time.

I have a 15 year old Toro commercial pus mower with a Suzuki 2-cycle engine on it. It still starts the second opull every time (first to prime).

Rob

If you go motorized, get a Honda or Kawasaki motor on it. Lots of brands use these motors now. I do like the Honda brand personally. Both brands are bulletproof and survive poor winterization much better than other brands.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Vaughn, where did you get the pic of my ex-mother in law. And I had to see it right after lunch!!

Thanks for the replies. I like the goat best!

The yard is too large (or I'm too lazy ) for a reel-type mower...or a string trimmer. The lot is about 120' x 140'. Seems like the replies/preferences expressed somewhat mirror the Consumer Reports findings. It will probably depend on what "bargains" are available the day old reliable dies.

Bagging is primarily for leaves, with grass mulched most of the time. My experience has been that the lawn is healthier since I learned to mow it higher and started mulching. I haven't had a thatch problem (Fescue in Kansas for you guys that know more about it than me).

Andy