Thread: Beaver Int. Lathe

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Beaver Int. Lathe

I posted this at the end of the "So Stu, what lathe" thread, but I guess in the hub-bub of this place is got missed, or you guys are ignoring me........

When I went out to the Demo that the Far East Woodturners Society (FEWS) put on, by Mr. Jean-Francious Escoulen, I got to see the Vicmarc lathes up close and personal, and what Jean do AMAZING stuff with the VL-300.

While I was looking around the Lathe shop of the host, Mr. Sanno, who runs a sort of school, I saw this white lathe sitting there among the blue ones.....

This is the Beaver Lathe, it was designed by the fellows at Vicmarc, and then built by a company in Taiwan, so you get the Vicmarc design on the cheap. This particular lathe had been in use at the school for some time, and it has preformed flawlessly.

I had a good poke at it, and a mini test drive, and it is smooth as silk. Every thing moves on it very well, and locks in place nicely too.

The head swings out 90 degrees, with detentes at 3 or 4 spots (I think).

The motor is 200V with a variable speed controller, it has three pulleys to give you three ranges of speed....

1st pulley 10 - 1000 rpm (Ratio 1:3)
    2nd Pulley 20 – 2000 rpm (Ratio 1:2)
    3rd Pulley 30 – 3000 rpm (Ratio 1:1)

It really looks nice, and I could not believe how smooth it spins and such.
    Everything seems to be where it should be, and the toolrest and the tailstock movement is super smooth.

The on/off switch, speed controller box is on a magnet, so it can be moved around.

Best part...?

190,000 yen ($1730) delivered, with a warranty etc. For comparison, Craft Supplies has only the non-swing head listed, they want $1299 for it,
    (plus shipping and tax) the price I get includes shipping, and tax, for the swinghead.

The new DVR-XP is going to be over $3000, plus shipping....

My buddy with the DVR was also there, and he had a good look at it, and he thought it would be just as good as the DVR,
    maybe even better in some respects.

It looks and feels REALLY well made.

You see, this is why I wanted to go to this meeting

I'm just about sure this is going to be the one, out of fairness, I'll wait for the quote on the DVR-XP, but I found out that one of the reasons the DVR-XP is more expensive in Japan is that the Teknatool guys gave the one dealer here exclusive rigths, thus he has no competition. I have to admit, I do not like that.

So what do you guys think, has anyone else had the chance to see this lathe up close and personal?

I think they even have an outrigger for it, and there is a bed extension that will give my 39" between centers if I want it (20" now).

Looking forward to your responses.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan; 04-30-2006 at 8:29 AM.