Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shedua Hollow Form Illusion Box...

Shedua Hollow Form Illusion Box...

Travis and I were chatting the other night about which woods were best suited for hollow forms. I think we both agreed that woods with perfectly straight grain were probably not the best choice because of a lack of visual interest.

I decided that since I don't turn hollow forms, have no desire to and have less of an idea how to, I would turn a box that gave the illusion of being a hollow form. Here is my attempt in shedua with a little curl 3 7/8" tall and 3 5/8" in diameter. If you look closely at the "collar" I think I was able to create the illusion that there is a hole in the lid of this box. At least it fooled me. This wood sure does finish up nicely if I do say so myself.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

WOW, that is spectacular Mike. The grain in that is beautiful and I thiank the way you shaped it and made it a Faux hollow form is pretty kewl. Now everyone else will be making Faux HF boxes like Big Mike!

Corey

Beautiful work as usual Big Mike! You should have patented that idea!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Big Mike,
    Very fine box.

Hollow Forms are problematic in several ways. They tend to attract dust bunnies and more spare change than the couch cushions, not to mention the occasional exploratory thumb that becomes stuck. Good solution to all of those problems.

If you would like to further the HF illusion, you could smush a bit of silly putty into the collar and stick some weeds into it.

Frank

Oh man Mike! That's NOT quite what I thought you were talking about!
    That is fantastic. Great design and execution. Simply beautiful!

Just incredible. The grain aids in the illusion. You are a master Big Mike.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

7. Now that is some creativity!!! Most excellent work, Big Mike!

Great job, Mike! Invisible "joint" and a very pleasing form! Super!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Big Mike, what can I say ! Absolutely stunning and a great illiusion. I thought it was an HF untill I read the description. You are truely a master
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Mike

Awesome. The perfect size to hold in your hands. Another very well done box.

Terry

Well Mike it is beautiful and the illusion is certanly spot on. Now how did you do that?? Paint, dye?
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Looks Awesome Mike!
    Great Idea!
    Love the form and always the finish is top notch, looks like a beautiful hollow form to me, nice job on the collar and the fake hole, or is it?
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

Thank you very much for the nice comments. I had a good time messing with this box. I used a few drops of ebonizing solution, i.e. rusty vinegar water..... The way I formed the recess there is a little lip so I used a toothpick and dropped a couple of drops of ebonizing solution in there and let it do its thing. Worked like a charm.

Terry, this box is light as a feather and is smooth as glass. Thanks again guys, I do appreciate the kind words.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Beautiful Big Mike!!!! I love the wood and you sure could have fooled me on the "fake" hollow form on it. Great Idea!!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I still don't believe the hole doesn't go all the way through. Wonderful job Mike.

Ernie