Thread: Newbe

Newbe

What is the tool of choice for turning the inside of small hollow forms, (boxes, vases, exc). I'm talking 3-4 in dia x 3-6 in high.

Thanks in advance.
    Redbob

These objects are typically turned with end-grain orientation and some form of scraper is the tool of choice. Virtually all hollowing tools are small scrapers and box-makers will generally use larger, heavier scrapers for this work. Please note that scrapers don't "scrape", they cut. The difference is that they have a very small, sharp cutting edge formed either by deflection of the metal during grinding or by burnishing a wire edge with, um...a burnisher.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Oh Bob,
    Not you too?
    I is detecting an inexorable slide down down down into the spinny abyss amongst Creekers these days, but I thot that Minnesotans at least would have enuf traction to resist that pull from the dark side.

No matter, send requests and I will throw gnarly logs over the edge for you to feed upon.

Frank

Bob I use a 3/4" square scraper if I want a square bottom. Most of the hogging out is done with a 1 1/2" by 1/4" round nose scraper. Once I get close then use the square one and if you want a rounded bottom which some do finish out with the big one. As Jim said if it is sharp on the last pass or two you are done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I started sliding in November when I bought a Rikon mini and a Rikon 10 inch drill press to make pens. Turned +/- 60 pens in December. Took a bowl turning class a few weeks ago, and turned my first bowl-alone yesterday. Got a glued up blank setting at home callling my name.

I'm looking for the tool used when guys (and gals) are turning toys that be hollow inside and have an opening on the top that is "tiny", ( 1 1/2 to 2 inches).

Always looking for turning wood.

Thanks.
    Redbob

Bob...I'm a scraper junkie. My favorite shape of scraper head is sorta like a backward "P". This helps me get under the shoulder then smoothly flow down the side. Keep in mind that shavings are accumulating in there and they will cause a catch. A low profile tool and frequent clearing helps.

....Unless you're like Travis and the piece is so full of holes that the shavings just fall out!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I prefer a Captive Hollowing Rig to make mine!
    But there are some nice hand held hollowing tools out there!
    Travis Stinson just posted a Captive system for his Jet Mini a few Days Ago! Just look it up to see what he made. Its not finished it yet but maybe he will post a complete set up of it.
    Last edited by Jim Ketron; 05-01-2006 at 9:37 PM.
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Yarbrough
    I'm looking for the tool used when guys (and gals) are turning toys that be hollow inside and have an opening on the top that is "tiny", ( 1 1/2 to 2 inches).
    Thanks.
    Bob,
    I know what you're asking. I have a small 1/4" angled tool that I bought from Bob Rosand. He uses that type to make hollow Christmas tree ornaments. I do MOST of my hollowing with that. It isn't very long, and not that thick, but I've used it on some pretty large pieces.

I also have a set of Sorby Christmas ornament tools. They are really pretty small but work well. There are there tools to the set, a round nose scraper, a scraper at about ninety degrees and one at about 45 degrees. I like them a lot and they work well.

To sharpen them little buggers I run a diamond credit card sharpener across the top, or the flat part, works well and doesn't remove a lot of material.

I hope this is what you're looking for.

The destination isn't nearly as exciting as the path used to get there.