Thread: One More Jet Mini Variable Speed Question:

One More Jet Mini Variable Speed Question:

I, like many others considering the Jet Mini lathe, am interested in the variable speed. I just looked at the manuel for the vs and it says: "The variable speeds of the lathe are controlled by the speed knob on the control box as well as the position of the belt on the pulleys."
    I have never used a lathe so I am asking does this somewhat defeat the vs feature since I have heard others who have other vs lathes commenting that they got tired of having to mess with the belts and therefore went to a vs lathe. Trying to learn.

Below is the address for the manual. Variable speed is on page 10-11.
    Last edited by Chris DiCiaccio; 08-28-2003 at 8:17 PM.
    Be Blessed!

I, actually the LOML, ordered the Jet Mini this week. She commented on how VERY nice the gentleman was she talked to. We also considered the VS Mini, but we have decided to stick with the "regular" Mini. I agree that having a switch to control the speed would be nice, but I consider my Wood Addition to be a very relaxing, laid back hobby, so switching the belts is no big deal for me. Yes, it takes a little time, but for non-production turning, I don't have a problem with it. And, for the extra $100.00, maybe we can get a nice chuck or some other needed accessories once the Mini arrives. (Perhaps some Pen Turning accessories would be nice...........SWMBO has taken a likin' to that all of the sudden!)

Chris,

You got me to thinking so I went to the JET web site and read the manual. Fired off a question to tech support/customer service. If I get a response I will post it here. Speed knob or not I am buying a lathe. That is the easy part. Wading through all of the different tools and accessories is a chore. What to buy....What to buy?
    "The idea that "violence doesn't solve anything" is a historically untrue and immoral doctrine. Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. People that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."

Hi Chris,

The biggest advantage in my mind with the variable speed, is the ability to tweek the speed just a little to make the blank smooth out. Sometimes you need to go a little faster, sometimes a little slower.

For many projects you could just leave it on the middle pully and use the speed control for what you need.

Of course, if you are doing pens, you will want it on a higher speed. But for bowls and such you want it on the slowest speed possible for roughing.

I have one of the older Jet mini's It is a well built machine. I also have a big Oneway for most of my turnings. I rarely go over 1200 rpm on anything I turn. But having the ability to adjust the speed with just a turn of a knob is a great feature.

I did notice that the new Jet still has a minimum speed of 500 rpm. I personally don't think that is a problem for the swing of the lathe. I would have liked to see something around 300 rpm for a low end. But maybe it just wasn't do-able for Jet. It sure seems that it is a very nice lathe for the money.

Best wishes,
    Dave

Most true VS lathes have more than one position for the pulleys in order to change the "speed range". For example, my lathe has three ranges. (I generally use the middle position which gives me about 0-1500 rpm) The reason you may want this is to help keep torque up when you are turning at slower speeds with heavier objects...it's like the transmission on your car! In first gear, you have variable speed with a maximum speed of "x". You also have a lot of torque to get that heavy vehicle moving.

The Poolewood and NOVA DVR are notable exceptions to this design as they are direct drive systems.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Chris, It sounds like to me that the lathe uses the standard pulley arrangement plus a VFD. The knob they refer to I think is the speed control potentiometer for the VFD.
    This is what I intend to do my lathe when I get the time. (Sorry Keith, but some back problems has prevented me from doing the article. I still plan on doing it)
    With a VFD you can only change the speed of the motor from 0 to 1750 RPM, so if your pulley arrangement is not changeable you will not be able to get the torque and speed that you need for different projects.
    I did do this on my drill press and it worked out great. You can see the VFD mounted on the pole next to the press. Look closely and you will see a small speed pot on the front.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
    Don

Here is the response I received from JET.

"The pulleys still have to be changed due to the type of material you are going to put on there, and the torque you will need. But, it can be put in the middle position and be ran at a range of speeds. If a lot of torque is put on it the belt would have to be moved up to the biggest pulley. For more information you may contact Technical Support at 800-274-6846."

Thank you,

Becky Voorheis
    wmh tool group
    distributor relations
    "The idea that "violence doesn't solve anything" is a historically untrue and immoral doctrine. Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. People that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."