Thread: Satin or Semigloss for shop walls?

Satin or Semigloss for shop walls?

I am about to paint the inside of my new shop with white house paint.

Someone told me that fine dust will not stick to a semigloss finish as much as it does to a satin finish.

Does anyone know if this is true?

Dale

Don't know about the dust, but I think satin would be better for the lighting...seems semi-gloss would be more reflective (in a bad way).

KC

Thumbs up

Hi Dale. We have everything that is white in our house and shop painted in the whitest white available with the semi-gloss "eggshell" finish. You get the benefits of semi-gloss for ease of care and the non shinny surface is easy on the eye.
    Best Regards, Ken

Either one would be good. I'll add that a semi-gloss with show more wall imperfections than an eggshell. I picked up a Benjamin Moore color deck yesterday, and they even have a PEARL, which is between an eggshell and a satin. You learn something new every day.
    Last edited by Todd Burch; 08-30-2003 at 12:06 AM.

For the new area of the shop where I had to paint, I also used eggshell. It's also what I generally use in the house, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Dale,

I thought eggshell was between flat and satin, I would go with satin, for the shop walls, because it will release the fine dust a bit easier. I almost always use eggshell for interior walls, but I would have bet it is closer to flat. I usually use semi-gloss for the trim.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Weber
    Dale,

I thought eggshell was between flat and satin, I would go with satin, for the shop walls, because it will release the fine dust a bit easier. I almost always use eggshell for interior walls, but I would have bet it is closer to flat. I usually use semi-gloss for the trim.

John
    Actually, eggshell and satin are typically used interchangeably, but I have come across more eggshells with more sheen than I have satins. Some companies use eggshells for their interior mid-sheen and satin for their exterior mid-sheen designation. Either way, KC's right about not using semi-gloss--too reflective, causing glare.

As for dust settling on the walls, what you really need is a texture-free surface to begin with. Take an ROS or a pole-sander with 150-220 non-loading paper (the 3M lime-green stuff for paint would work best) and sand down the wall before you paint. You don't have to go crazy with the sanding, just hit each area a couple times and move on. Then, when you topcoat with eggshell, your wall will be much less likely to become part of your DC system.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Thanks for the comments

After reading the comments, I decided to use the satin house paint. It actually is almost shiny. I think the comments about getting it too glossy are correct.

Thanks,

Dale