Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Final Big Piece

Wonderful! Absolutely gorgeous in every way. Really nice grain, great color, excellent finish. This is a piece that you son, grandchildren, great grandchildren, etc. will cherish for the next two hundred years. This is how woodworkers achieve immortality. Hope you change your mind about making more large pieces. Would be a shame to lose a furniture builder like you.

Fantastic work, your family will be very proud, and heirloom piece for sure.

Jim

dont give up the ship

karl that is definatly a very nice peice and maybe it took you longer than usual or you noticed that it was bit harder to do than last time, dont give up the ship! when we stop doing what we love we loose something that is vital to the inner being. so keep the "karl" that we know alive inside as well.. WE know you can do it. just take more breaks
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

Carl, you did a very nice job on this project. Thanks for sharing it!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Great looking piec Carl, isn't it a great feeling when you've finished a project like this and when you stand back and take a few minutes when your out in the shop by yourself and admire your own work!!

GREAT
    David

wow! Carl that's a super fine piece of heirloom furniture. I am sure more than one generations will enjoy it.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Great piece Carl,

Send the pictures. I haven't seen colse up of jionery in the reader's gallery unles it was done for show and I'm sure that your joinery is better than mine!

It would be a great piece of documentation to hand down with the piece also.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

As usual, a very nicely done piece Carl. Where did you find the plum pudding piece of walnut for the writing surface, it's a spectacular piece of wood? How many hidden compartments did you put in the prospect?

I understand your reluctance to do any more big projects. Just remember though that while aging is difficult, it beats the alternative by miles. to repeat myself, fantastic job.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Dave: The drop board came out of a piece of lumber I found at a local yard that caters to boat builders - or did before steel took over. It was just wide enough - not a quarter inch extra. Likewise the pieces for the panels in the upper doors came from there. I don't think they would have looked good for any other use. I consider myself lucky to have found those boards.

As to the secret compartments that is classified information, but for a fee . . . .

Thanks for the kind words.
    Last edited by Carl Eyman; 05-06-2006 at 7:24 AM.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Carl,
    Great job. Love the walnut. The slant desk is my next project after the chest of drawers I'm making right now. I hope mine is half as good as yours.

Rick

A wonderful, great looking project. The wood and gain structure you pick for the front folding desk is just stunning. Any woodworker worth their salt, can see how much time and work when into this project, they do take time, don’t they? But a lot of people forget how much the finish contributes to the end project and you can tell that you know your way around the finish table, as well. Again great project and with the skill level you show should still do the big projects as they always give you the most satisfaction and the biggest wow factor from others.

Art

Great job. More impressive than that is your patience. Not only did you finish an awesome piece, but you had the patience to do so..

Just beautiful - gorgeous!

Al