Thread: how to install a box beam mantle into stone?

how to install a box beam mantle into stone?

Hi all,

I would like to pur in a box beam mantle (old bard beam, roughsawn, or hand planed) similar to this

to this stone front fireplace.

My questions are:
    1) how should I attach the boxbeam to the stone? I was thinking to attach a 2x4 nailer to the stone with some sort of concrete anchors, but I don't know if I can safely drill into the stone without cracking it. Then the boxbeam would fit over the 2x4 and be secured to it.

2) As the stone is quite irregular, I am thinking that I should scribe the top and bottom of the boxbeam to the stone and then cut it with a jigsaw to fit. Would you mortar the joint to match the stonework?

3) are there any safety regulations such as how far from the opening it should go? I am planning on putting in a woodburning stove insert in at some future point.

4) has anyone done something similar? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

I have often seen brackets affixed to the stone either by means of a tenon or anchor bolts then the box bean is laid across the brackets.
    Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

Have you considered it might be better to drill the mortar?
    It's easier and it's un-doable in the future. If the stone is a mere facia you can attach to the studs behind by drilling the mortar. Drill the stone and you can never go back. You can also crack the stone especially if it's a thin facia stone.

By the looks of it I'd say it was a stone veneer, though I cant tell from the pictures how thin. But you are right, the mortar would be a much better place for screws or anchore bolts
    Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

Thanks for ideas

Thanks for your ideas guys. Yes, it is stone veneer, actual chiminy is, I believe, brick or concrete block. It is safe to drill through mortar and set in an expansion bolt or something into the brick?

I don't want to do the brackets. I like the look of the beam by itself.

As far as the safety regulations go there are usually certain setbacks for flammable material from the front of the fireplace. I'd call a fireplace company in your area to find out the local code.

Quote Originally Posted by john hanes
    Thanks for your ideas guys. Yes, it is stone veneer, actual chiminy is, I believe, brick or concrete block. It is safe to drill through mortar and set in an expansion bolt or something into the brick?

I don't want to do the brackets. I like the look of the beam by itself.
    John, try this for an idea:
    http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/hi_fir...703970,00.html
    "And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." - Red Green

THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES

I build a mantel awhile back and attached a 2x2 to the mortar via tapcon screws. The mantel fit over this like tendon and then I nailed through the bottom of the mantel into this tendon.

Worked like a champ. The corbals (sp?) are pretty much just show.

Here are 2 pictures. Unfortanely neither are that great. The first shows the tendon. The board under it is just for spacing. It goes into a hole in the back of the mantel (picture 2).

P1002399_resize.jpg

P1004471_resize.jpg

I posted my firplace progress last summer, here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=23019

I screwed a 2x4 on edge to the studs with countersunk 4" deck screws. I made a template traced to the contour of the stone. The log was routed to match the template. The log was then screwed from the top into the 2x4, and the holes were plugged with a dowel. I did not grout or seal around the mantle. The scribe was good enough.

Since yours is already done, I'd use anchors in the grout. Hopefully you could hit a stud. But, if your mantle is too heavy, I'd wonder if the anchors would even hold.
    Go Big, or Go Home... He who has the gold, makes the rules

Thanks again

Ted,

That idea looks pretty good. I think that I may be closing in on a plan.

Thanks, John